Hello from yorkshire

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here
borntobewild
Stickleback
Stickleback

Hello from yorkshire

Post by borntobewild »

Hi there, just recently rekindled my love of fishing after not fishing in over 10 years, God knows why I stopped, as soon as the kids came along that seemed to be it. Really fancy getting good seriously into to predator fishing, pike have to be one of the nicest looking fish we have here
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Hello from yorkshire

Post by jonsykes »

Welcome. Whereabouts in Yorkshire are you? I'm in Barnsley.
borntobewild
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by borntobewild »

Dewsbury, but I travel to work Barnsley (Worsborough) every day :)
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

Had a 13lb Pike from canal basin at Worsbro, & I heard of a 21 in Res.
borntobewild
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by borntobewild »

when you say canal basin, do you mean that canal that doesnt actually go anywhere and is blocked off at both ends? if so i had a go in there on friday with the lures. Didnt catch anything so i was convinced there was nothing in there but silverfish. There was also a lot of course fishermen there so i could only fish certain parts
Wes12
Perch
Perch

Post by Wes12 »

Hi I fished word borough canal 20 years ago and had loads of pike out , I went back to have a look last year to have a look and was speaking to one of the locals fishing he said the ee,s had been goin down netting it and throwing the fish straight into wheels bins, so I never bothered with it again.
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

Yes heard about the EE's. Once I was fishing it early Sunday morning & a "new arrival" (from Romania) in a black leather jacket asked me in broken English if it was "Thames water" - he thought it was the Thames!!! Anyway, yes it's the small stretch with 2 basin ends. Heard they were banning predator fishing, probably to keep the EE's away.
I also once hooked a black bag there - had a handgun wrapped in a towel inside. I shat myself, rung police but it turned out to be a BB gun (looked real to me) & the Local Post Office round the corner had been held up 2 years earlier.
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

Also heard of the usual suspects getting caught with carrier bags of bream & perch. I did have a follow on a squirrely burt from an upper double this spring.
borntobewild
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by borntobewild »

do you know anyone in the uk that sells these squirrely burts? iv heard nothing but good things about them. i can only find them on american sites
Wes12
Perch
Perch

Post by Wes12 »

The small end section did get stocked with carp a couple of years ago and they started charging £2 day ticket then it got netted , the person I spoke to who was fishing had been there 3 hours without a bite, same as a lot of places round here there being netted and were trying to catch fish that aren't there anymore