Bait casters

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Geoffdy
Roach
Roach

Bait casters

Post by Geoffdy »

Thinking about getting my first bait caster .are they a practice makes perfect thing.any recommend reels for a newbie to them .and any tips or tricks .
Thanks folks :thumbs:
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Bait casters

Post by John Milford »

Geoffdy wrote: Wed Apr 24 2024 19:39 -
Thinking about getting my first bait caster .are they a practice makes perfect thing.any recommend reels for a newbie to them .and any tips or tricks .
Thanks folks :thumbs:
My biggest tip is to ease yourself into casting with whatever reel you choose. Nothing ambitious on distance to begin and with a lot of thumb control and with the spool well breaked.

That stage will be pretty short, but it is time well spent. After a few tentative casts you'll grow used to the feel of your reel and gain the confidence to ease off on the break and rely more on your timing with the thumb control.

If you do it all in small increments it soon starts to feel very natural - and once it does, you'll be casting like a pro in no time. :thumbs:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Catch 22
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Catch 22 »

I've taught various friends (who don't fish) how to use a baitcaster - all picked up the basics in a few minutes and were casting really well after a couple of hours. I personally think they are slightly easier to use than spinning reels.

As John says, start steady and you'll be fine.
DaveGreenwood
Zander
Zander

Post by DaveGreenwood »

Practise it doesent take long, educate your thumb to control the spool by watching the lure as it hits the water, after a while you`ll be able to drop a lure on a 50p piece :thumbs:
Geoffdy
Roach
Roach

Post by Geoffdy »

Thanks folks think I'm going to get a heavy lure rod and baitcaster. And practice in a field .that way people can't hear me swearing and crying 😢
paintman
Perch
Perch

Post by paintman »

Take it slowly.
Thin braid bird's nests are a nightmare.
A small bait or boilie needle with hooked tip can be a big help undoing them!
Geoffdy
Roach
Roach

Post by Geoffdy »

I'm thinking about the westin heavy lure rod .anyone got one .and what reel would you recommend with it .
Rammer223
Roach
Roach

Post by Rammer223 »

Think up to five westin rods four w6 and w3 enjoy using all of them personal opinion good rods for the money heaviest one 20-80 jerkbait rod lightest 2-10
Catch 22
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Catch 22 »

Westin w4 powershad-t with Daiwa Tatula 200 - perfect setup.
barnsy
Roach
Roach

Post by barnsy »

Heavier line is easier to untangle and will save you lures when you get the odd overrun.
If the spool stops turning mid-cast, that puts enormous strain on the line, which can often break, allowing your precious lure to just fire off into the sunset on it's own. Upsetting if it's an expensive or well loved lure, annoying whatever lure it is....
I have 80 or 100 lb braid on my big lure reels and it's saved my bacon a few times.
As others have said, start gently concentrating on accuracy rather than distance, then build up the distance, you'll soon get the hang of it.

A decent reel does make this easier. You don't (necessarily) need to spend loads, but be weary of absolute tat, or anything 'used' that's not been maintained, that can make life a lot harder.
Geoffdy
Roach
Roach

Post by Geoffdy »

Thanks for the advice folks
Time to get the debit card out me 🤔
fishder
Perch
Perch

Post by fishder »

try u tube some very good vides on casting.