squirrely burts

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Alan_dalton
Barbel
Barbel

squirrely burts

Post by Alan_dalton »

I just found these in my garage, two of them I have tried weighting and one was left alone. I have caught fook all on them. Before I throw them back in the old tackle box for another 10 years I was going to have another try with them. Could anyone enlighten me on how to weight them or is it a secret. I had one I caught on, on Rutland but the fish knackered it and it just filled with water after one fish!!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: squirrely burts

Post by davelumb »

Loads of ways to weight them. Most work. Even the 'wrong' ways!

But if you must have the 'right' way...

Slowly sinking slightly nose down. :thumbs:
Alan_dalton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Alan_dalton »

davelumb wrote:
Loads of ways to weight them. Most work. Even the 'wrong' ways!

But if you must have the 'right' way...

Slowly sinking slightly nose down. :thumbs:
I drilled holes and added lead shot, is this the correct way?
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Alan_dalton wrote:
Yes.
Alan_dalton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Alan_dalton »

davelumb wrote:
Alan_dalton wrote:
Yes.
Thanks
DavyMc
Barbel
Barbel

Post by DavyMc »

Alan there crap lures, send them to me for burning :laughs: :laughs:

Like to weigh mine a bit heavier gets tail working on the drop, fish them with long pulls and pauses, helps if your in the boat!
"Rise, like lions after slumber: In unvanquishable number! Shake your chains to earth like dew: Which in sleep had fallen on you: Ye are many—they are few!"
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

Weighting a bunch up myself this weekend. I use 4 different weightings. Fast sink at 3' per second nose first (110g) . Slow sink at 1' per second nose first (92g). Suspending (can be made to rise slowly by swapping 8" tail for 6" tail). Standard weighted. I don't use the unweighted ones as I find Suicks better for the same situations.
Ivor1980
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Ivor1980 »

Follow lumbys advice on his site and seal them with thick blob of epoxy i brush some epoxy around all hook eyes just to make sure It doesnt take water in.Anybody knows where to buy them in uk now?want a few more
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Ivor1980 wrote:
Follow lumbys advice on his site and seal them with thick blob of epoxy i brush some epoxy around all hook eyes just to make sure It doesnt take water in.Anybody knows where to buy them in uk now?want a few more
http://www.franglaisfishing.com/ffstore ... hp?cat=230
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

:eek: How much??? - Yikes! :eek:
DavyMc
Barbel
Barbel

Post by DavyMc »

Steve Dennington wrote:
Ivor1980 wrote:
http://www.franglaisfishing.com/ffstore ... hp?cat=230
£20 offt for a lure you need to drill holes in, get them second hand on here sometimes Ivor
"Rise, like lions after slumber: In unvanquishable number! Shake your chains to earth like dew: Which in sleep had fallen on you: Ye are many—they are few!"
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

andrew_nagel wrote:
:eek: How much??? - Yikes! :eek:
Yep, they've gone up a bit in recent years. You can't import them yourself for less.
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

I just got a batch brought over from the US by a colleague. Worked out around £7.30 each. Going out there myself in a few weeks and will not come back empty handed.
Ivor1980
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Ivor1980 »

21 quid ,Ill hunt for the second hand ones. :no: I have some handmade ones too,very similar to burts.
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

I prefer mine weighted front heavy so they sit tail up in the water, they are all tank tested with a trace so that the tip of the tail is sat in the viscous of the water. If weighted like this then one long pull takes them down about 4ft at a time and they work a treat. :thumbs:
Perch are scared of wire, dont make me laugh!
Alan_dalton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Alan_dalton »

Just had a play in the bath, got them all sinking at different rates just got to seal them them try them, then chuck them back in the loft for another ten years!
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

andrew_nagel wrote:
I just got a batch brought over from the US by a colleague. Worked out around £7.30 each. Going out there myself in a few weeks and will not come back empty handed.
That's bloody cheap. Direct from Drifter they're $16.99, or more if you want particular patterns. Factor in shipping, VAT, and then the ransom demand from Parcel Force and you're talking about the same price as Franglais :neutral:
ChristopherH
Barbel
Barbel

Post by ChristopherH »

They look an absolute doddle to make yourself. I might have a go when I get some time to spare. Are they hardwood, balsa or plastic? I haven't used them myself but I can remember they used to seem to be one of the most effective lures on Blith when I fished there.

How about trying something along these lines and then adding the 'Squirrel'? (BTW Check out this fellas other videos on the Tube. Some belting home made tackle there. :wink: )
From SAS to SOS. YNWTL

My Pictures
Ivor1980
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Ivor1980 »

My first "squirrely burt" its a bit bigger then original and has more wiggle and weighs about 100 grams.This is just before refinishing.Ita bigger and squirrely version of tr twitcher 16 cm wooden body plus tail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gus666
Zander
Zander
Location: Auld Ayr, wham ne'er a toon surpasses, For Honest Men and bonnie lassies...

Post by gus666 »

ChristopherH wrote:
They look an absolute doddle to make yourself. I might have a go when I get some time to spare. Are they hardwood, balsa or plastic? I haven't used them myself but I can remember they used to seem to be one of the most effective lures on Blith when I fished there.

How about trying something along these lines and then adding the 'Squirrel'? (BTW Check out this fellas other videos on the Tube. Some belting home made tackle there. :wink: )
I think they're plastic, sectioned inside too I believe.
Ivor1980
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Ivor1980 »

They are sectioned abs bodies so are almost indestructable and will rattle with shot inside(if you like it) but prone to take water in,unless sealed properly.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Ivor1980 wrote:
They are sectioned abs bodies so are almost indestructable and will rattle with shot inside(if you like it) but prone to take water in,unless sealed properly.
The hangers are sealed pretty well on most recent ones. The weighting is still as random as ever though...
ChristopherH
Barbel
Barbel

Post by ChristopherH »

I guess as long as the action is similar it doesn't matter too much what they are constructed from?
From SAS to SOS. YNWTL

My Pictures
gus666
Zander
Zander
Location: Auld Ayr, wham ne'er a toon surpasses, For Honest Men and bonnie lassies...

Post by gus666 »

ChristopherH wrote:
I guess as long as the action is similar it doesn't matter too much what they are constructed from?
Would imagine they could be recreated fairly easily Chris, though whether the chambers seriously affect the action, I couldn't say.
Though for me the great enigma is that they sometimes don't have any action, apart from the tail movement. :scratch:
If it wasn't for mates telling me they got fish on them I'd have binned them long ago!
Ivor1980
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Ivor1980 »

wooden ones have way more "action" but dont rattle.
gus666
Zander
Zander

Post by gus666 »

Ivor1980 wrote:
wooden ones have way more "action" but dont rattle.
Is that shop bought or home made wooden ones Ivor?
Ivor1980
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Ivor1980 »

Home made mate.
gus666
Zander
Zander

Post by gus666 »

Ivor1980 wrote:
Home made mate.
Interesting...
Easy to make or tricky? And did you make them any different than shop ones in order to get a better action?
ChristopherH
Barbel
Barbel

Post by ChristopherH »

Rattles are very easily to added to hardwood/balsa lures. (Yes I know Balsa is technically a hardwood. :wink: )
From SAS to SOS. YNWTL

My Pictures
ChristopherH
Barbel
Barbel

Post by ChristopherH »

Are Burts not just a simple stick-bait? (I'm assuming the Burt came first then someone added the squirrel tail?)
From SAS to SOS. YNWTL

My Pictures