Treble hook bonnets/protectors

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Re: Treble hook bonnets/protectors

Post by andrew_nagel »

These are the gem of the Hookers - 7" Seducers. They come in 2 lip designs which I think is due to a supply issue rather than a design choice. They cast and troll well. Shorter lip will run to around 18' with 50m of 50lb PP out, and the longer lip will do 23' - little difference in the actions.
IMG_3063.jpeg
2 lip types:
seducer_lips_01.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy »

A similar looking lure but with a rattle ....
Top one is the 8" Hooker .
Lower one is an 8" "Bailarin" from MCFT ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

I've never tried a Bailarin. I like how tough Hookers are paint aside. Are the Bailarin wood or cast resin?
royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy »

Pretty sure they`re resin , with a real tough epoxy finish .....
Last edited by royboy on Sun Aug 06 2023 13:47, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

royboy wrote: Sun Aug 06 2023 12:22 -
Hookers are available again .... from
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100065105048253

But only the 10" model , much prefer the 8" ones myself .
Rgds , Pat
To think I had 5 of the 10" at one point, I slowly stopped using them as I found them to be jack magnets.
At Llandegfedd there is a Tenn Shad resting in 50' that took two consecutive twenties, such was Llandegfedd !
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

andrew_nagel wrote: Sun Aug 06 2023 13:09 -
These are the gem of the Hookers - 7" Seducers. They come in 2 lip designs which I think is due to a supply issue rather than a design choice. They cast and troll well. Shorter lip will run to around 18' with 50m of 50lb PP out, and the longer lip will do 23' - little difference in the actions.

IMG_3063.jpeg

2 lip types:

seducer_lips_01.jpeg
I've never seen or heard of a different lip on the Seducers, I notice the one you've got pictured with the longer lip is epoxied in - Hooker didn't epoxy any of their lips. Possibly had a lip swap ?
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Sun Aug 06 2023 13:30 -
royboy wrote: Sun Aug 06 2023 12:22 -
Hookers are available again .... from
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100065105048253

But only the 10" model , much prefer the 8" ones myself .
Rgds , Pat
To think I had 5 of the 10" at one point, I slowly stopped using them as I found them to be jack magnets.
At Llandegfedd there is a Tenn Shad resting in 50' that took two consecutive twenties, such was Llandegfedd !
I leave a few lures in the rocks each year. There's a couple of waters I fish that have more than their fair share of tree trunks suspended in the water column and moving around with the undertow. They're a nightmare - they must be like Christmas trees decorated with lures. It never gets easier losing an expensive lure or one that's done loads of fish.
The musky fishermen that speed troll the big lures are using 150lb braid to limit the wear on the braid at the tip ring. Lighter braid gets worn through by the constant rubbing in the tip ring due to the lure's action. I have a few of the 10" Hookers but have not had the same issue as I'm not doing 6-10 mph.
royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy »

andrew_nagel wrote: Sun Aug 06 2023 13:17 -
I've never tried a Bailarin. I like how tough Hookers are paint aside. Are the Bailarin wood or cast resin?
Apologies , Just found out that they are made of resin ........
Same type of action though , and will troll up to at least 5mph !

They may troll at faster speeds but 5mph is my limit !
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Sun Aug 06 2023 13:36 -
andrew_nagel wrote: Sun Aug 06 2023 13:09 -

IMG_3063.jpeg

2 lip types:

seducer_lips_01.jpeg
I've never seen or heard of a different lip on the Seducers, I notice the one you've got pictured with the longer lip is epoxied in - Hooker didn't epoxy any of their lips. Possibly had a lip swap ?
The ones on the left are short lips, ones on right long lips. All the longer lipped ones I've got have stick on eyes and paint that matches the short lipped ones with the same stick on eyes. I'm assuming these were all produced by the second owner. Seems he's the only producer to have used stick-on eyes on the Seducers and had two lips. I reckon the long lips might have been just one or two batches due to short supply of the short lips because the long lips seem much harder to come by.
IMG_3064.jpeg
The original producer was the one who made them with over-painted bead-like eyes, short lip only and a thin epoxy coat. These are the ones the collectors seem to look for.
IMG_3065.jpeg
The perch one in my earlier post has the teddy bear type eyes and thicker epoxy so I think that is one by BWB when they did them - but back to short lips only.
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

My Seducers are like those in the bottom picture (6 pictured) so if I'm reading things right I have the original ones Hooker produced ?
They have big eyes but even then one has its eyes forward of the lip.
One thing Andrew have you noticed with the Seducers the line tie it is always bent slightly over to the right and off centre ! Weird ? and the hooker juniors have the lips drilled very slightly off centre where the through wire enters and exits the lip - or is it just mine :narfuk:
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

By my understanding yours will be from the original owner if they have that type of eye. I've noticed the line tie tendency with Seducers. All of mine needed some tuning. Haven't noticed it on bigger Hookers. There's very few cranks that don't need a bit of tuning.