Castaic trout

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Castaic trout

Post by Jack H »

I’ve just received 2 6” castaic trout in slow sink. They came up on ebay for a sensible price, so I thought I’d give them a go as I’ve read some good reports on them. Looking back through some older threads, I can see that the quality plummeted at some point, as production moved elsewhere. I’m wondering if the ones I’ve ordered are original or the newer design? Is there any way to tell? The packaging on one is slightly different as it says ‘made in Mexico’ whereas the other says ‘assembled in Mexico’. My understanding is the newer ones sink a lot faster, but is there any other changes to the action, durability etc?

Thanks

Jack
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Re: Castaic trout

Post by Steve Dennington »

Jack H wrote: Wed Nov 08 2023 15:18 -
I’ve just received 2 6” castaic trout in slow sink. They came up on ebay for a sensible price, so I thought I’d give them a go as I’ve read some good reports on them. Looking back through some older threads, I can see that the quality plummeted at some point, as production moved elsewhere. I’m wondering if the ones I’ve ordered are original or the newer design? Is there any way to tell? The packaging on one is slightly different as it says ‘made in Mexico’ whereas the other says ‘assembled in Mexico’. My understanding is the newer ones sink a lot faster, but is there any other changes to the action, durability etc?

Thanks

Jack
The main difference is the 10" slow sink. The old ones had a foam harness and sank horizontally, whereas the new ones sink nose first. The new ones are a different plastic too, which is definitely not as durable. Decent enough lures, but I wouldn't go back to them. The loose body versions available from various companies these days are far more versatile.
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

Cheers Steve. I didn’t pay over the odds for them, a couple of pounds more than a replicant. One of them is a mad shad pattern, which looks great as something a bit different on difficult days. I see what you mean about the durability, compared to a replicant, the plastic seems a lot softer. I can’t see them standing up to too much punishment.

Thanks

Jack
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Jack H wrote: Wed Nov 08 2023 19:22 -
Cheers Steve. I didn’t pay over the odds for them, a couple of pounds more than a replicant. One of them is a mad shad pattern, which looks great as something a bit different on difficult days. I see what you mean about the durability, compared to a replicant, the plastic seems a lot softer. I can’t see them standing up to too much punishment.

Thanks

Jack
Yep, some of the 10" ones I had started to fall to bits before they even saw teeth. As ever, when these products are changed it's not for the better. Same as with food products - whenever you see "new improved recipe" you just know it's going to result in a downturn in quality.
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

Steve Dennington wrote: Wed Nov 08 2023 20:33 -

Thanks

Jack
Yep, some of the 10" ones I had started to fall to bits before they even saw teeth. As ever, when these products are changed it's not for the better. Same as with food products - whenever you see "new improved recipe" you just know it's going to result in a downturn in quality.
Unfortunately, that’s the case with lots of items at the moment. Higher prices, lower quality

Jack
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Jack H wrote: Wed Nov 08 2023 21:29 -
Steve Dennington wrote: Wed Nov 08 2023 20:33 -

Thanks

Jack
Unfortunately, that’s the case with lots of items at the moment. Higher prices, lower quality

Jack
Very true. It seems that everything you buy these days is smaller or worse quality (or both) than it used to be.
r0bert
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by r0bert »

Don't rely on the bottom hook on them , take it off and rig one externally, the bottom harness is very unreliable.
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

r0bert wrote: Sat Nov 18 2023 16:10 -
Don't rely on the bottom hook on them , take it off and rig one externally, the bottom harness is very unreliable.
Thanks, the 2 I’ve got don’t have bottom trebles, just a large single on top. Have you found just the single good enough when it comes to hookups? Or do you think a bottom treble helps significantly?

Jack
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Jack H wrote: Sat Nov 18 2023 17:37 -
Thanks, the 2 I’ve got don’t have bottom trebles, just a large single on top. Have you found just the single good enough when it comes to hookups? Or do you think a bottom treble helps significantly?

Jack
The single hook alone will give a woeful hook up ratio. I bend the point of that one down to the back with pliers to put it out of action (I don't like big upward facing singles on any lure) and rig with one or two trebles.
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

Steve Dennington wrote: Sat Nov 18 2023 17:53 -
Jack H wrote: Sat Nov 18 2023 17:37 -

Jack
The single hook alone will give a woeful hook up ratio. I bend the point of that one down to the back with pliers to put it out of action (I don't like big upward facing singles on any lure) and rig with one or two trebles.
:thumbs: I’ll look into making up some short stingers to rig them up on. I know what you mean about single hooks. I’ve snipped them off in the past when they’ve been ridiculously
Oversized, like those on replicants, which look like they’ll cause unnecessary damage.

Jack
Andy Scott
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Andy Scott »

What are the Castaics worth nowadays? I’ve a box full somewhere but not packaged….
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

Andy Scott wrote: Sat Nov 18 2023 22:10 -
What are the Castaics worth nowadays? I’ve a box full somewhere but not packaged….
Not sure, there’s a 10” one on eBay £27.99. I think as Steve has said there are better alternative’s available for less. I only bought them as they were going cheap for the pair.

Jack