Greedy gudgeon!

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Greedy gudgeon!

Post by peteren »

One greedy gudgeon on a 2" kopyto in a stream recently.
Assumed it would be a small perch; unusual 4-timer after some chub, perch and jacks.
IMG_7280.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter Newman
old_school
Roach
Roach

Re: Greedy gudgeon!

Post by old_school »

Not caught a gobby for years, miss the buggers now. back in’t day, would fish till we couldn’t see anymore, seeing who could catch the most gobbys on the same maggot! quite often into double figures if my memory serves. I think the zander have had them all out the T&M canal now, at least the Derbyshire sections. Trent and Derwent the same
If you always fish where others fish, you'll always catch what others catch.
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

old_school wrote: Fri Nov 17 2023 18:41 -
Not caught a gobby for years, miss the buggers now. back in’t day, would fish till we couldn’t see anymore, seeing who could catch the most gobbys on the same maggot! quite often into double figures if my memory serves. I think the zander have had them all out the T&M canal now, at least the Derbyshire sections. Trent and Derwent the same
Similar to stretches of the Thames close to me. Use to catch lots of gudgeon, apart from catching one on a commercial this summer, haven’t seen one for a couple of years now. Not sure what’s happend to them.

Jack
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

peteren wrote: Fri Nov 17 2023 11:28 -
One greedy gudgeon on a 2" kopyto in a stream recently.
Assumed it would be a small perch; unusual 4-timer after some chub, perch and jacks.
IMG_7280.JPG
They can be right greedy buggers at times, still manage to swallow big bunches of maggots on a size 14 :roll:

Jack
Sebas
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Sebas »

I can't get away from Gudgeon. They're prolific on the waters I mainly fish, same with Ruffe.
Mmmmmmmm yes
chrisdonna
Chub
Chub

Post by chrisdonna »

Jack H wrote: Fri Nov 17 2023 22:01 -
Similar to stretches of the Thames close to me. Use to catch lots of gudgeon, apart from catching one on a commercial this summer, haven’t seen one for a couple of years now. Not sure what’s happend to them.

Jack
In the last century they used to have gudgeon parties on the Thames and cook them up bank side. I cant imaging them being very tasty?
Chrisd
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

chrisdonna wrote: Sun Nov 26 2023 14:11 -

Jack
In the last century they used to have gudgeon parties on the Thames and cook them up bank side. I cant imaging them being very tasty?
Chrisd
Can’t imagine you’d get much meat either! I remember reading that people use to bake gudgeon pies hundreds of years ago :sick:

Jack
chrisdonna
Chub
Chub

Post by chrisdonna »

Jack H wrote: Sun Nov 26 2023 14:29 -
chrisdonna wrote: Sun Nov 26 2023 14:11 -

Jack
Chrisd
Can’t imagine you’d get much meat either! I remember reading that people use to bake gudgeon pies hundreds of years ago :sick:

Jack
Sounds delicious.
Chrisd
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Jack
crayfish ....i bet
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

talking of cray fish caught my first crayfish to close to home a few weeks back on the st helens canal not fished that stretch before , so dont know if its the norm
was surprised when a swung my smelt in ,and a big crayfish had a grip on it .....not good .....or is it would the pike and perch feed on these....
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Sebas wrote: Sat Nov 25 2023 11:50 -
I can't get away from Gudgeon. They're prolific on the waters I mainly fish, same with Ruffe.
cracking perch bait back in the day , are the perch big where the gudgeon are located by any chance ...

steve
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

stubbojo wrote: Mon Dec 11 2023 18:51 -

Jack
crayfish ....i bet
Could well be. Held some very decent perch that stretch.

Jack