Luring river pike - downstream retrieves?

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Luring river pike - downstream retrieves?

Post by peteren »

Most of my river pike luring is in sluggish smallish lowland rivers, where I usually fan-cast in all directions from each swim, and rarely notice any difference in numbers of takes from retrieve direction.
Recently, some had fined down enough to lure fish, but still carried a bit more flow - but only 0.5 - 1mph I'd guess.
I noticed more takes from downstream retrieves; very few up - , even at similar depths (mainly bottom-bumping in the cold).
I'd expect that of trout facing upstream in fast waters, but hardly noticed it before with pike on my slow rivers.

Interested in others' thoughts / experiences, please.
Peter Newman
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Luring river pike - downstream retrieves?

Post by Daniel »

I've always put it down to the current making the lure act a little differently, lightly weighted jigflies are the best example I can think of.

When retrieving a jigfly against the flow a pause can almost be as long as you like as it'll just hold station while wafting and pulsing away.
That same pause going with the flow sees the jigfly do little to nothing of any note, yet pike will still smash it, I've often found they'll have a preference for one or the other.

And then there are the days when the won't have it at all or just smash everything regardless.
That's what keeps things interesting though!
greencard1
Perch
Perch

Post by greencard1 »

Someone did an article in Pikelines about 35 years ago. He filled a Big S with resin or something to make it sink, and then fished it with downstream retrieves.

It was successful from what I can remember.
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

I think it depends on the current if there is sufficient current pike like all fish will face into it - In these cases a downstream cast will result in a lure suddenly appearing form behind them and may get pounced on. If however you cast upstream then the pike will see the lure coming often at a faster speed if it has any action and has time to get ready. In slow current I think this no longer matters they will face any direction that is comfortable.