float selection

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
adam11
Roach
Roach

float selection

Post by adam11 »

This has probably been done umpteen times before, I've done a search but not found what I'm after but if anyone could point me to a link (either on here or elsewhere) that would be great :thumbs:
I've only ledgered really so far other than one session on a largeish farm type pond where I threw caution to the wind and suspended deadbaits under an inline slider float. I'm a bit baffled by the selection of different floats available, I would be interested to hear what floats you use for what applications. I know that different folk will have different preferences but I'd like to hear them and also things like bottom end only vs inline, what's outdated ( possibly in the eyes of tackle tarts :grin: ) and why some may defend the "outdated" types.
So there's my question (well if you will go reading the novice section you must expect novice questions :wave: )
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Re: float selection

Post by Duncan Holmes »

For fishing static deadbaits from the bank in Stillwater, I use an unloaded pencil float with shot on the trace, fishing over depth and then tightened to make the float stand up. Any movement of the bait will make the float lay flat or disappear if the fish moves off.

I make my own from balsa, but something like this http://www.thetackle-shop.co.uk/section ... encil.html

Static deadbaits from the boat, replace the pencil float with an in line slider and fish slightly over depth so it lays flat.

I use these http://www.macsalvors.com/product_detai ... roduct=763

In running water with static deads, inline slider with a running lead underneath it, weight depends on speed of the current.

The inline can also be used for suspending deads and working free roving lives.

I often fish a drifter float as well, again home made, but these work well http://www.eddieturner.co.uk/pike-tackl ... r-202.html.

For Sunk float paternosters I use these http://www.eddieturner.co.uk/pike-tackl ... ts-89.html

As for outdated :laughs: some of my floats are 15+ years old and still do exactly as I need them too, they just need a coat of epoxy every now and then.
:thumbs:
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

I think Duncan sums this up very nicely :-)
billybaltic
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by billybaltic »

Good info as a lot of newcomers or part timers just think you put a big pike bung on, nothing could worse. :thumbs:
adam11
Roach
Roach

Post by adam11 »

Thanks Duncan, you've put me a bit further in the picture :thumbs:
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

adam11 wrote:
Thanks Duncan, you've put me a bit further in the picture :thumbs:
No problem, if you can get hold of a copy of David Batten's book, "intro to pike fishing" it covers all the basic float rigs and a lot more. Although old, its a good solid foundation book, without giving the beginner too much to think about all at once.

Pick them up for peanuts on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introduction-Pi ... on+to+pike

Worth having in the bookcase just for the illustrations. :thumbs:
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
AndyLarkins
Perch
Perch

Post by AndyLarkins »

Duncan Holmes wrote:
For fishing static deadbaits from the bank in Stillwater, I use an unloaded pencil float with shot on the trace, fishing over depth and then tightened to make the float stand up. Any movement of the bait will make the float lay flat or disappear if the fish moves off.

Static deadbaits from the boat, replace the pencil float with an in line slider and fish slightly over depth so it lays flat.
Out of interest Duncan :wink: ...... How do you decide what amount of shot (weight) is placed on the trace when tightening down to an unloaded pencil float (fished over depth as described)?.... Would you use a weight that the float is able to support, or an adequate weight that would submerge the float? (lift method style).... e.g. is it preferable for the movement of bait or movement of "weight" (or both) to be registered at the float?

Secondly, when boat fishing slightly over depth as above but with an in line slider float so it lays flat, how would anything but a positive "run" be detected?..... e.g. if the Pike just moved up in the water after taking the bait, there'd be no indication on the float whatsoever if using fixed shot (weight) on the trace?
Image http://www.canterburypac.blogspot.com
"C'MON!.. Ya like a fat girl in red shoes" Andy Brown 2015
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

AndyLarkins wrote:
Duncan Holmes wrote:

Out of interest Duncan :wink: ...... How do you decide what amount of shot (weight) is placed on the trace when tightening down to an unloaded pencil float (fished over depth as described)?.... Would you use a weight that the float is able to support, or an adequate weight that would submerge the float? (lift method style).... e.g. is it preferable for the movement of bait or movement of "weight" (or both) to be registered at the float?

Secondly, when boat fishing slightly over depth as above but with an in line slider float so it lays flat, how would anything but a positive "run" be detected?..... e.g. if the Pike just moved up in the water after taking the bait, there'd be no indication on the float whatsoever if using fixed shot (weight) on the trace?
I have two types of unloaded pencils, 3/8" diameter for still water and 5/8" for slightly flowing water, both around 10 inches long. The increased diameter gives me a wider window of flow ( mainly on drains) before having to change to a running lead under float rig.

For lift style either 6 or 9 SSG is used, the heavier if there is a bit of undertow, flow or a crosswind. (multiples of 3SGG shot)

6 SSG (10 grams) just about sinks the floats, 9SSG certainly does.

I generally aim for around 1.5 times the depth of water, (although its not critical which makes it ideal for gravel pits) and gently tighten down on the spool until the float just stands up, so the shot becomes critically balanced against the tow of the float. That way if the pike picks the bait up, it is very unlikely not to disturb the shot, in that case the float tends to half c*ck, spin around and then lay flat, its an incredibly sensitive way of fishing.

The down side is that on the odd occasion you do get "false" indication, which I tend to think are line bites as you get far more when fishing in bait fish locations.

As for the boat set up, when fishing like that I am exclusively fishing the broads, so generally water less than 7 feet. Any slight wind or undertow will settle the float in to a balanced position, and just as above it is unlikely that a pike can pick up a bait without disturbing the shot.

This means the float will change position, i.e, turn around, sit higher in the water, bob and its change becomes immediately obvious. I used to fish 1 1/2 inch black and red polyballs and the effect was even greater, but aging eyes means it becomes hard work, so I have increased the float size slightly.

Its hard to put in to words exactly, and if I am honest I am guessing at the actual mechanics, but just like the lift style it is incredibly sensitive. With a light fixed weight I feel it is hard for any fish, particularly a pike to pick up a bait and not move that weight, and provided the indicator (float or bobbin) is balanced, you get a lot more indication. I use the same approach in carp fishing, 1oz semi fixed leads unless I need more for distance, its amazing how much more you see on the bobbin, before it hits the butt.

One of my fish today was a gentle pick up, I just watched the float swing around so the red was facing the opposite direction, as I lifted the rod and checked the clutch, the float span back around and then dived under, fish was hooked in the scissors on the bottom hook.
AndyLarkins
Perch
Perch

Post by AndyLarkins »

Thanks for the detailed explanation Duncan :smile:
Image http://www.canterburypac.blogspot.com
"C'MON!.. Ya like a fat girl in red shoes" Andy Brown 2015
Crumpler1991
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Crumpler1991 »

I use the fox dart floats for the small drains I fish when leap frogging
neil parkinson
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by neil parkinson »

there`s a dave batten paperback introduction to pike fishing book on e-bay buy now £3.29 plus one on auction
Rob_Iasgair
Perch
Perch

Post by Rob_Iasgair »

billybaltic wrote:
you put a big pike bung on, nothing could worse. :thumbs:
Why? A pike bung is about the best float for fishing live baits at a set depth. Used them for years and years until live baiting was banned up here. One of the few floats that will keep an 8oz trout working high in the water.