Bit of braid advice?

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
ChrisWales
Chub
Chub

Bit of braid advice?

Post by ChrisWales »

New to Pike fishing, also new to braid so I have a few quick noob qustions...
Having had a read around here, I have just bought a 275m spool of 20kg/0.28 PowerPro from a proper tackle dealer (so hopefully not knock off).

I cant see me doing any ridiculous distance casting so I was wondering if putting a shallow fill of braid on top of a mono filler would cause any issues with line lay/casting etc? Say 100m tops (or less?)?
Any tips and advice on the script with spooling it up and getting just the chosen amount on? Any other general tips etc greatly appreciated.
As you may have sussed, total noob with this!
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Re: Bit of braid advice?

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

That's what I do for my boat fishing reels. Though o.28mm power pro is far too thin for me. I would start at 0.4mm / 50lb min for bait fishing. Braid is inherently susceptible to damage on rocks / rough ground etc. Be safe and upgrade to thicker dia.

Lure fishing.. bit different. I would be happy using 0.28 on some set ups for lighter work.

You can buy line counters if you feel the need. Reel 100m of braid onto the new spool then the backing. Then wind it back onto another spool using the line counter again. Note how much backing you used. Add same to amount of backing to other spools and wind braid on top. Should be roughly same amount.
Love the hit!
ChrisWales
Chub
Chub

Post by ChrisWales »

Thanks for replying, I think this braid will be going on a lure set up to get me started. Just got to decide on a suitable reel. (dare not start another "daft question" type thread!)
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

No stupid questions when starting up Chris.... better than making mistakes which cost money or could kill fish.
Love the hit!
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

If using a multi reel when you have sorted the length of backing and braid

Wind it on as tight as you can or you will be :cry:

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson :smile:

To that one soul reading this
I know your tired fed up and close to braking