thoughts

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Andy Macfarlane
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Re: thoughts

Post by Andy Macfarlane »

pikingslabber wrote:
,another thing worth mentioning is the singles seem to hook better in the scissors.....thoughts and opinions much appreciated
Wonderful that the rig worked by what's so good about hooking fish in the scissors? I hear this banded about like a badge of honour an it makes no sense to me at all.

"It was neatly hooked in the scissors" or something to that effect. I had a barney with Leon Roskilly about his use of circles and how he always hooked his pike in the scissors but he couldn't explain to me why hooking a fish by the very mechanism it uses to operate it's jaws is a good thing.

I can think of places I'd rather hook a pike and the scissors isn't one of them.

You'll see/hear the 'hooked in the scissors' thing regularly, like it's a job well done. Never did get it myself.
DavyMc
Barbel
Barbel

Post by DavyMc »

Andy Macfarlane wrote:
pikingslabber wrote:
,another thing worth mentioning is the singles seem to hook better in the scissors.....thoughts and opinions much appreciated
Wonderful that the rig worked by what's so good about hooking fish in the scissors? I hear this banded about like a badge of honour an it makes no sense to me at all.

"It was neatly hooked in the scissors" or something to that effect. I had a barney with Leon Roskilly about his use of circles and how he always hooked his pike in the scissors but he couldn't explain to me why hooking a fish by the very mechanism it uses to operate it's jaws is a good thing.

I can think of places I'd rather hook a pike and the scissors isn't one of them.

You'll see/hear the 'hooked in the scissors' thing regularly, like it's a job well done. Never did get it myself.
Really where? Seems like the natural place to me, if we're pulling the hook out the mouth most times it's going to end up in the corner of it.
"Rise, like lions after slumber: In unvanquishable number! Shake your chains to earth like dew: Which in sleep had fallen on you: Ye are many—they are few!"
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

imo, anywhere but the scissors or rakers, preferably that hardest part of its inner mouth so to be in better contact with the pike instead of what appears(to me) to be a rather fragile part. I cant say for certain myself if its good or bad. It just dont feel right :no:
DavyMc
Barbel
Barbel

Post by DavyMc »

Andrew Croft wrote:
imo, anywhere but the scissors or rakers, preferably that hardest part of its inner mouth so to be in better contact with the pike instead of what appears(to me) to be a rather fragile part. I cant say for certain myself if its good or bad. It just dont feel right :no:
Don't forget the gut great hook hold :laughs: thought your pal might have replied as your just repeating same thing as before and imagining that hooking here does damage in some way and I've yet to see it apart from the hole.

The whole point of using the doubles is that you strike instantly with confidence, not instantly after waiting for few seconds, 10 or longer as I have witnessed from few "instant strikers" on trebles.

Chances are most deadbaits are well inside the mouth and even entering the stomach by time we notice the bite, hooking with one hook toward the tail of the bait must be better in the long run for the fish that using 2 trebles
"Rise, like lions after slumber: In unvanquishable number! Shake your chains to earth like dew: Which in sleep had fallen on you: Ye are many—they are few!"
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

My arguments are no less valid than yours davy with all due respect.

And not once have i ever had a gut hooked pike thankfully :suspect:
DavyMc
Barbel
Barbel

Post by DavyMc »

Didn't say that was the case at all however your not certain about it, I am used these style o hooks 25 years or more that long I can't remember, not relying on supposition.

Who said was an argument :grin: discussion on fishing forum my man, not facebook handbags at dawn..
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Point of view would probably have been a better choice of words
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

MarkBerrisford wrote:
personally i always pinch 2 of the prongs on a treble together slightly so they stand a bit more proud of the bait and my hook up rate is very good,doubles look good but never got round to trying them
Its funny you say that that because I have often thought that if you did that and then put the two adjusted hooks into the bait :wink: then the hook left out would sit proud and supported upright unlike doubles.
I dont like bending hooks about but if two of the hooks where say 60 degrees or more apart then I think you would have a dead bait hook of hooks.

Regarding where not to hook pike, the structure on a pike we call the scissors, a fold of skin containing bone is known I believe as the maxillary bone and is in an ideal world not the place to hook a fish.
Most times I have found that trebles tend to hook in one jaw or the other as this point(sometimes both :roll: ) and although said to be in the scissors, they are not really and so would do little harm.

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Andy Macfarlane
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Andy Macfarlane »

DavyMc wrote:
Andy Macfarlane wrote:
pikingslabber wrote:

Really where? Seems like the natural place to me, if we're pulling the hook out the mouth most times it's going to end up in the corner of it.
How about anywhere else in the fishes mouth, where is composed of hard cartilage, rather than by, what appears to me, to be a very delicate mechanism.