Storing Traces

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
skov
Stickleback
Stickleback

Storing Traces

Post by skov »

Spent the other evening making up a load of dead bait traces, but now I haven't got a clue how to store them without them all ending up in a tangled mess :red:
Any suggestions greatly appreciated thanks!
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Re: Storing Traces

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

I still use these, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gardner-Origi ... SwUuFW1Y8g and use two which is enough for hook and up traces :thumbs:

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
skov
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by skov »

Thanks Alan, might see if I can do a Blue Peter version with pipe lagging and loo roll :grin:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

http://www.packaginggb.co.uk/clear-grip ... GwodKWYISw

Easy then just to take what you need. Since using Titanium I only carry a couple of spares in my tackle box. :thumbs:
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Nige Johns »

skov wrote:
Thanks Alan, might see if I can do a Blue Peter version with pipe lagging and loo roll :grin:
There's nothing better than pipe lagging,proper old skool
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Duncan Holmes wrote:
http://www.packaginggb.co.uk/clear-grip ... GwodKWYISw

Easy then just to take what you need. Since using TitaniumI only carry a couple of spares in my tackle box. :thumbs:
:thumbs: :thumbs:
skov
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by skov »

Got a few ideas now, thanks all!
highlandpiker
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by highlandpiker »

I'm a Tight *rse so I use pipe lagging and stick it in an old Barista coffee tin...job done
Hants Piker
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Hants Piker »

Pipe lagging and stored in a flip top paintball tube :) I also use the tubes for float storage :) waterproof and tough :)
Same as these... http://www.bzpaintball.co.uk/100-round-fat-boy
Around 9in long and about 3 1/2in diameter :)
DavyMc
Barbel
Barbel

Post by DavyMc »

Loop them round yer hand and twist either end around the coil (in oppose directions btw :wink: ) then throw in a sectioned box that carries all the other gear. Save room and weight rather than storing everything in different boxes and taking an age tackling up at the water :laughs:
"Rise, like lions after slumber: In unvanquishable number! Shake your chains to earth like dew: Which in sleep had fallen on you: Ye are many—they are few!"
JohnLuke
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by JohnLuke »

I have used rig bins and "pipe lagging rolls" before, but these days in order to cut down on the amount of bits/ tackle I carry I usually just store them as in the photo below.
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JackHunter
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by JackHunter »

I coil them up and store them in small plastic boxes in a larger Lok-tight box.

Waterproof and takes up less room than my old rig bin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Nige Johns »

I don't like my lagging rattling around in a round container as I'm convinced it blunts the points,this lagging is slightly oversize so it wedges against the side of the takeaway curry container and is therefore suspended in it,even size 2's don't touch the sides.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Same as davymc

even more info here viewtopic.php?f=20&t=23029

btw i dont like pipe laggin. Ive seen it add a curve in traces (probably too tight)
RAB-HENDO
Zander
Zander

Post by RAB-HENDO »

A better fling ma laggin in the bin then eh :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: been used fur years by many a piker and me. :roll: :roll: :roll:
DANCES WAE PIKE
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Never said there was anything wrong with it :roll: just not my thing tbh.
RAB-HENDO
Zander
Zander

Post by RAB-HENDO »

You must think there's summit wrong with it if you don't like it naw :shrug:

Used it since I started and never seen a curve and mines are tight roon the laggin av used fur years
DANCES WAE PIKE
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Just dont like it. Is that awright :worthy:
RAB-HENDO
Zander
Zander

Post by RAB-HENDO »

Ye don't need tae bow tae me m8. Am just a dafty using that rip off laggin gear
DANCES WAE PIKE
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Yer nae dafty rab i just dont like it but as ye say theres nothin wrong with it. Ye will know as well as myself a bend or curve in wire is fine, Its kinks that are nae good.

Where did you rip it aff from. It needs to stay on yer pipes mate :rasp:
mick.e
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by mick.e »

20161108_094345.jpg
Made my pike tackle box about 35 yrs ago, looking a bit battered now, but still going strong. The lid and base are lined with leather cut from an old overcoat belonging to the Mrs (She wasn't happy :roll: ) The cross pieces of the winders are covered in pipe lagging.
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Post by dannytaylor »

Like that Mick :thumbs: :cool:
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

mick.e wrote:
Made my pike tackle box about 35 yrs ago, looking a bit battered now, but still going strong. The lid and base are lined with leather cut from an old overcoat belonging to the Mrs (She wasn't happy :roll: ) The cross pieces of the winders are covered in pipe lagging.
Very nice, Hand cut dovetails as well :thumbs:

Some quite lovely about keeping fishing tackle in wooden boxes, looks like its make from Sapelle ?

I am a mitre man myself, this is where my multipliers live in summer.
20140403_192759.jpg
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
mick.e
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by mick.e »

Duncan Holmes wrote:
mick.e wrote:

Some quite lovely about keeping fishing tackle in wooden boxes, looks like its make from Sapelle ?

20140403_192759.jpg
Nice work Duncan, agree about wooden boxes, yes the ply is Sapelle framework is softwood. was a labour of love at the time, wouldn't like to hand make one to sell, the cost would be astronomical. Do you have a woodwork background?
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Post by dannytaylor »

Duncan Holmes wrote:
mick.e wrote:

20140403_192759.jpg

Beautiful
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

mick.e wrote:
Duncan Holmes wrote:
mick.e wrote:

20140403_192759.jpg
Nice work Duncan, agree about wooden boxes, yes the ply is Sapelle framework is softwood. was a labour of love at the time, wouldn't like to hand make one to sell, the cost would be astronomical. Do you have a woodwork background?
I know what you mean about the time, way too many hours to put a price on.

I am a hobbyist box maker, mainly display and jewellery boxes and occasional small pieces of furniture.
skov
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by skov »

Was in Wilko's buying cheap wrapping paper yesterday and spotted these for a quid:

http://www.wilko.com/food-boxes+contain ... vt/0180320

Grabbed one and dug out some pipe lagging from the depths of my garage and job's a good 'un.

Stephen watters
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Stephen watters »

I use a wychwood rig wallet with zip lock bags inside its less bulky and kess weight than a rig bin
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Post by martin(rockape) »

Used to use foam pipe lagging as already mentioned but now i use small zip lock poly bags. I also cut a piece of card from a cereal box and slide that in just to reduce the chances of the hooks digging into the plastic, i bend the card and slide the trace out. I keep these all in a free Angling Times reel case which is cheap and nasty and about 20 odd years old but perfect for keeping my traces altogether.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.