Frustrating multiplier problems

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Landy
Stickleback
Stickleback

Frustrating multiplier problems

Post by Landy »

Hi. I'm having problems with casting my multiplier. I recently stepped up to a abu garcia ambassador and added 80 lb braid as I like using big lures and jerkbaits, but 1 in 3 casts are ending in the spool suddenly stopping in mid cast and a the line getting embedded underneath line on the spool, I'm spending more time undoing knots then fishing. Should I be feathering the spool as I cast and reel in? any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Re: Frustrating multiplier problems

Post by Andrew »

Most certainly yes always thumb the spool. You get a feeling for how much to slow it (educated thumb) as you will feel the line start to fluff up so add slight pressure to slow it down a little to prevent 'over run'

Theres also a little nut under the drag for adjusting how freely the spool spins when in free spool mode. Having it a ball hair tighter to stop it over running can help too then loosen it the better you get.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Hook the lure into something solid and walk all the line off the reel. Then wind it all back on under tension. After that, as Andy says, learn to feel when the line is starting to fluff up during the cast so you can slow the spool with your thumb. :thumbs:
mickmcd
Chub
Chub

Post by mickmcd »

Another tip is that all lures weigh different, so, when the lure is on, hold the rod tip just slightly higher than horizontal (90°) from your body, press the casting bar and let the lure drop to the ground. Adjust the tension so that no extra line spools off the reel when the lure hits the ground. This also helps with over runs (but as Andy says make sure you feather the cast with your thumb).
DavyMc
Barbel
Barbel

Post by DavyMc »

Tighten the spool tension knob up a little, it's on the end plate in the middle underneath the handle. Is it a new reel or second hand?
"Rise, like lions after slumber: In unvanquishable number! Shake your chains to earth like dew: Which in sleep had fallen on you: Ye are many—they are few!"
Landy
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Landy »

Thanks everyone. I'm starting to prefer multipliers to fixed spool. With a lure weighing in at 90 grams and rod of 10 foot what sort of average distance should I be looking at casting?
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Post by Lee7499 »

Landy wrote:
Thanks everyone. I'm starting to prefer multipliers to fixed spool. With a lure weighing in at 90 grams and rod of 10 foot what sort of average distance should I be looking at casting?
Just try to get used to casting any distance without too many birds nests is the first step.A good distance of about 40yrds will soon be the norm for you with out any snarl ups but there are plenty of people on here with far more experience than me who could easily get greater distances with that setup. Shape and length of the lure will have a great effect on distance also.
In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Lee Hall
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

mickmcd wrote:
Another tip is that all lures weigh different, so, when the lure is on, hold the rod tip just slightly higher than horizontal (90°) from your body, press the casting bar and let the lure drop to the ground. Adjust the tension so that no extra line spools off the reel when the lure hits the ground. This also helps with over runs (but as Andy says make sure you feather the cast with your thumb).
That'll see fewer overruns, for sure. However, you'll find you could cast further with a handline than with a muliplier set up like that.
sebshelton
Chub
Chub

Post by sebshelton »

All the above advice is good but you can also cut down on over-runs by not over filling the spool with line :wink:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

As DL says reload the line onto the spool.

A good guide when loading braid on a reel is when you press it with your thumb it should be rock hard without a hint of softness.

Dont get overly concerned about distance, just practice developing a smooth technique and stopping the spool just as the lure has lost its momentum and is starting to drop.
Get that near enough mastered and you can graduate onto underhand, over the other shoulder, and greater accuracy.

:thumbs:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus