Grafham monster perch - 6lb 8oz! or Not

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Grafham monster perch - 6lb 8oz! or Not

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

Posted on the Grafham Facebook page as a possible British Record but the angler returned it. Caught by a troutie on a fly.

He must have very big hands is all I will say!
Love the hit!
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Grafham monster perch - 6lb 8oz! or Not

Post by Woodchucker »

Its a nice looking fish but 6lbs+ I am not so sure :shrug:
Perch are scared of wire, dont make me laugh!
philbrown
Perch
Perch

Post by philbrown »

might have gone 3 ?
nigel savage
Chub
Chub

Post by nigel savage »

When you compare it to, lets say to Rik Wesleys avatar image, then no way is it a six :scratch:
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

https://www.facebook.com/search/str/Gra ... ywords_top

The top video by my mate Paul shows off 5 fours, the six in the photos is a biggun but it doesnt look six, but I wasnt there!

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Jake Hamilton
Chub
Chub

Post by Jake Hamilton »

So this '6lb 8oz' perch here:

is almost half a pound bigger than this Dutch 6lb 1oz perch here:

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
JAKE
"It's not the years, honey....it's the mileage"
Tomcox77
Chub
Chub

Post by Tomcox77 »

What a nugget :laughs:
At least I know my canal is full of record threatening perch now
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Jake Hamilton wrote:
So this '6lb 8oz' perch here:

is almost half a pound bigger than this Dutch 6lb 1oz perch here:

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
Now thats a proper one :eek:

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Quint
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Quint »

Why do people do that? Do they think all anglers are dickwads too? Clearly not a six pound perch but about six pounds of egg on the anglers face.
There's too many Captains on this island.
AndyLarkins
Perch
Perch

Post by AndyLarkins »

b******s! :roll:

No doubt the old "net's a pound when wet".... and oot with the rusty old 50lb x 8oz spring balance! :clown:

four'n'arf maybe..... but that aint no fecking 6!.......... surely? :drunk:
Image http://www.canterburypac.blogspot.com
"C'MON!.. Ya like a fat girl in red shoes" Andy Brown 2015
charliedog
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by charliedog »

i think bearing in mind the fish is pushed out towards the camera its around the 3 pound mark
morph
Perch
Perch

Post by morph »

Maybe it's 10 inches thick, photo doesn't show this.
CraigRenwick
Chub
Chub

Post by CraigRenwick »

Clearly a trout angler guessing again...
JonahJones
Barbel
Barbel

Post by JonahJones »

AndyLarkins wrote:
b******s! :roll:

No doubt the old "net's a pound when wet".... and oot with the rusty old 50lb x 8oz spring balance! :clown:

four'n'arf maybe..... but that aint no fecking 6!.......... surely? :drunk:
The Dutch fish is awesome !!
BREXIT !! Now lets get rid of the BBC

2015 Scottish (Kayak) Predator Championships - Biggest Perch 44cm
2016 Llangorse European Kayak Predator Championships - Winner
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

6lb 2oz now. Got his net weighed.....
mark salt
Roach
Roach

Post by mark salt »

Trout anglers tend not to carry scales. Creative guesswork!
AndyLarkins
Perch
Perch

Post by AndyLarkins »

Andrew Croft wrote:
6lb 2oz now. Got his net weighed.....
yeah, and I bet it was bone dry this time! :roll:

(farcical face)
Image http://www.canterburypac.blogspot.com
"C'MON!.. Ya like a fat girl in red shoes" Andy Brown 2015
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

In fairness, I think he's made a mistake and posted a picture of his bait...... :roll:

That foreign Perch is absolutely mahoosive! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
martin godliman
Zander
Zander

Post by martin godliman »

This was hotly debated on the LAS forum until it was deleted presumably for people including me speaking their minds....it's so daft it's embarrassing.
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
Piker Nick
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Piker Nick »

I sure my 3,1/2" pounder looked bigger, so I reckon that is about 3lb too.. The Dutch perch is a monster :worthy:
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

martin godliman wrote:
This was hotly debated on the LAS forum until it was deleted presumably for people including me speaking their minds....it's so daft it's embarrassing.
Doesn't surprise me at all Martin with the LAS Forum... as to the perch in question, well, two and half pound tops IMO. There probably are six pound perch in there, but that aint one of them. I've been shown a few pictures of 20lb plus zander from Grafham caught by a troutie - all I could say to him was, 'OK, well done mate...' and then quickly walk away... these guys don't weigh fish and they do like to exaggerate - and then some :laughs:
Piking Plonker
Quint
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Quint »

Mark Phillips wrote:
martin godliman wrote:
Doesn't surprise me at all Martin with the LAS Forum... as to the perch in question, well, two and half pound tops IMO. There probably are six pound perch in there, but that aint one of them. I've been shown a few pictures of 20lb plus zander from Grafham caught by a troutie - all I could say to him was, 'OK, well done mate...' and then quickly walk away... these guys don't weigh fish and they do like to exaggerate - and then some :laughs:
Not only exaggerate but fly fishermen often are appalling anglers. I don't want to start a debate but I've met many, many coarse fishermen that are marvellous water craftsmen, whereas the average stockie trout fishery punter is clueless. Stockie trout are often ridiculously easy to catch and seeing trout anglers over think their captures makes me smile. Fair enough I guess but don't try and mug us off with outlandish claims assuming we are all stupid.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

I heard he caught a new record, an 9lb'er
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Quint wrote:
Mark Phillips wrote:
martin godliman wrote:
Not only exaggerate but fly fishermen often are appalling anglers. I don't want to start a debate but I've met many, many coarse fishermen that are marvellous water craftsmen, whereas the average stockie trout fishery punter is clueless. Stockie trout are often ridiculously easy to catch and seeing trout anglers over think their captures makes me smile. Fair enough I guess but don't try and mug us off with outlandish claims assuming we are all stupid.
But Im sure you wouldnt want to generalise :laughs:

Cheers Alan
Quint
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Quint »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote:
Quint wrote:
Mark Phillips wrote:
martin godliman wrote:

Cheers Alan
:thumbs: I'm not, just an observation on 'put and take' fisheries.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Quint wrote:
whereas the average stockie trout fishery punter is clueless. Stockie trout are often ridiculously easy to catch and seeing trout anglers over think their captures makes me smile.
I overheard a couple of gems as I waited in the queue a couple of weeks back.

30cm Line Thru Trout - "They can't cast lures that big, they just throw them over the side of the boat"

Fishfinders - "It's just cheating. All you need is watercraft".

The latter is easily said when countless thousands of your chosen quarry are delivered regularly, and often occupy a fairly narrow depth band, close to the surface, no matter what the depth :neutral:
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Quint wrote:
Quint wrote:
Mark Phillips wrote:
martin godliman wrote:

Cheers Alan

No of course not :laughs:

Cheers Alan
Quint
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Quint »

Quint wrote:
Quint wrote:
Mark Phillips wrote:
martin godliman wrote:

Cheers Alan

No of course not :laughs:

Cheers Alan
I stand by everything I wrote! :laughs: