Rigs for eels

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
ScottyD!
Chub
Chub

Rigs for eels

Post by ScottyD! »

Any budding Eel hunters here?!

I'm gona start spending a bit more time for Eels in the future, what leger rig set ups do you prefer?

I was going to put out mainly free running legers. Was thinking of a basic frre running lead on a roberts tiwn run ring. How does this rig rate, or is better to put some length of tubing on it to avoid tangles?

Will mainly be using worms.

Whats inspired me to get back into the eels? was pestered rotten by them today when out for pike, even had 1 hold onto a big lamprey (with its tail snipped) right up to the boat before it let go...AAARRRGH!!!

hence the worms approach- missed to many runs on small deads last time had a decent bash for em.

cheers Image

SD
Dave Smith
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Re: Rigs for eels

Post by Dave Smith »

ScottyD!
Chub
Chub

Post by ScottyD! »

cheers Dave, tis a good site mate.

Is the NAC going to be at the PAC convention?

might just join up, Nicks brace on the other thread has certainly further inspired me!

I'm thinking of keeping the rigs basic (very basic!) possibly an adaption of the rigs I use for free running of the baitrunner/multipleir I use for pike from the boat.

Also got composter bins on the go so Ive got a constant supply of worms, although will stick out small sections of fish as well.

cheers

SD
Dave Smith
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Dave Smith »

Yes Scotty we'll be there, just keep things simple and free running.
Warren
Roach
Roach

Post by Warren »

ImageI've never complicated my rigs and most times they are dead simple running rigs and most times i use the humble lobworm.....here's a 7lb 15oz on such tactics......
twisty
Barbel
Barbel

Post by twisty »

Warren wrote:
ImageI've never complicated my rigs and most times they are dead simple running rigs and most times i use the humble lobworm.....here's a 7lb 15oz on such tactics......

thats a cracking eel warren Image Image well done Image
keep ye mouth shut and you will catch more

founder member of the windy pikers
eelchaser
Roach
Roach

Post by eelchaser »

After 30 odd years of eeling just keep it simple , the old john sidley rig still takes some beating , plus if you want to fish baits off the bottom the dyson rig is a corker , keep lenghts of tubing out of it , remember keep it simple , Image