Best Z Boat Rods

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Best Z Boat Rods

Post by Ian Crook »

Use your barbel rods Martyn!! :thumbs:
The predator
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by The predator »

Perfect Martyn. I use my Freespirits... Same spec as yours. :thumbs:
Incumbam, et sternebant
Brassneck
Perch
Perch

Post by Brassneck »

A bit too stiff in the tip :wink:
The predator
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by The predator »

Brassneck wrote:
Mmmmmthats not a problem! :hump:
Incumbam, et sternebant
Brassneck
Perch
Perch

Post by Brassneck »

The predator wrote:
Brassneck wrote:
Mmmmmthats not a problem! :hump:
:handshake: :thumbs: :laughs:
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

In an ideal world I would say they are a bit over gunned for Zds but I would be happier using them than buying new rods and so near enough :thumbs:

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Jon Shoreman
Chub
Chub

Post by Jon Shoreman »

10 ft all the way
merlin
Chub
Chub

Post by merlin »

Unless your talking about a stepped up 2lb+ test curve floodwater barbel rod then a standard barbel rods about as much use for zandering as a ash tray on a motorbike
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

merlin wrote:
Unless your talking about a stepped up 2lb+ test curve floodwater barbel rod then a standard barbel rods about as much use for zandering as a ash tray on a motorbike
What makes you say that Mark?

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

merlin wrote:
I know many very good anglers who use their 1.75lb test curve barbel rods for bank and boat fishing on the Severn and Warks Avon, fishing barbel style, using the tips as bite indicators, in fact, I would almost say it's standard practice!! They've had some good doubles too! Barbel will put up much more fight!!

So, not sure where your point has come from!!
Brassneck
Perch
Perch

Post by Brassneck »

Ian Crook wrote:
merlin wrote:
I know many very good anglers who use their 1.75lb test curve barbel rods for bank and boat fishing on the Severn and Warks Avon, fishing barbel style, using the tips as bite indicators, in fact, I would almost say it's standard practice!! They've had some good doubles too! Barbel will put up much more fight!!

So, not sure where your point has come from!!
Zeds have very bony mouths so the rod needs to have a bit of backbone to firmly strike the hooks home, but with this taken into consideration and the fact that I watch the tip for bites, barbel rods are the perfect tool for zander fishing imo. Err on the stepped up side though - my (original) korum neoterics are the perfect tool for Trent zandering in my experience.
LINUS
Perch
Perch

Post by LINUS »

merlin wrote:
+1
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

LINUS wrote:
merlin wrote:
+1
I don't mind being told I'm wrong, but any reason why?? Presumably you have tried them?
The predator
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by The predator »

Ian Crook wrote:
LINUS wrote:
merlin wrote:
+1
I don't mind being told I'm wrong, but any reason why?? Presumably you have tried them?
Dont think he smokes! :laughs:
Incumbam, et sternebant
Emma Hamilton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Emma Hamilton »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote:
merlin wrote:

Cheers Alan
I think Mark is spot on there Alan. The average barbel rod may well be OK in a snag free area an experienced angler knows well but on the Severn i'd imagine there aint too many snag free areas. Whilst the barbel rod may just about be OK for zeds,the river holds some decent pike and there is no way an average barbel rod is gona do the job in the vast majority of areas and swims. As such the promotion of barbel rods for zeds is IMO irresponsible.

rob
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

Emma Hamilton wrote:
merlin wrote:

Cheers Alan
I think Mark is spot on there Alan. The average barbel rod may well be OK in a snag free area an experienced angler knows well but on the Severn i'd imagine there aint too many snag free areas. Whilst the barbel rod may just about be OK for zeds,the river holds some decent pike and there is no way an average barbel rod is gona do the job in the vast majority of areas and swims. As such the promotion of barbel rods for zeds is IMO irresponsible.

rob
Thanks Rob, that makes sense :thumbs:
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Emma Hamilton wrote:
merlin wrote:

Cheers Alan

rob
If thats the answer Mark would have given then I agree with you both Rob :wink: :laughs: but the fact remains that in the right situation a barbel rod will make do, most of us have to make a compromise regarding rods.
The prefect bank rod for me regarding Zds would be an 11-12ft, 2-2.25lb rod with as :lumby: says an action on the stiff side of through and for the boat a 9-10 fter that has a higher test curve but softer action particularly if using braid :wink:

Cheers Alan
Emma Hamilton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Emma Hamilton »

I always think of 2.25 - 2.5 TC rods as carp rods and i expect they'd fair OK in fairly open snag free water with a big zed.

However catching one of these accidentally when zedding near tree lines or snags or boat anchor ropes i'm glad off a 2.75 x 9ft rod.

rob ( 6 " short of touching the sides of a Seastrike boat )

Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

The predator wrote:
Ian Crook wrote:
LINUS wrote:
merlin wrote:
+1
Hahaha!

(Vintage Pred face)
The predator
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by The predator »

Dave Horton wrote:
The predator wrote:
Ian Crook wrote:
LINUS wrote:
merlin wrote:
+1
Hahaha!

(Vintage Pred face)
Good to see somebody is actually following the script Dave! :thumbs: :laughs:
Incumbam, et sternebant
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

The predator wrote:
Dave Horton wrote:
The predator wrote:
Ian Crook wrote:
LINUS wrote:
merlin wrote:
+1
Hahaha!

(Vintage Pred face)

I treated it with the contempt it deserved!!
The predator
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by The predator »

Ian Crook wrote:
The predator wrote:
Dave Horton wrote:
The predator wrote:
Ian Crook wrote:
LINUS wrote:
merlin wrote:
+1
Hahaha!

(Vintage Pred face)

I treated it with the contempt it deserved!!
Only 'cos it went over your head! :fu:
Incumbam, et sternebant
Jon Shoreman
Chub
Chub

Post by Jon Shoreman »

How differen is Z fishing to P fishing?
Having never targeted Z I had assumed it was more or less the same as P fishing, just in a water where there were more Zs.
Given that there are P on the 7, then why not just use the P boat rods? ( that's what I will be doing! )
LINUS
Perch
Perch

Post by LINUS »

The predator wrote:
Ian Crook wrote:
LINUS wrote:
merlin wrote:
+1
Only c*ck
Jon Shoreman
Chub
Chub

Post by Jon Shoreman »

I just use 85 braid for everything ..... What difference?
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

DLST P4.
merlin
Chub
Chub

Post by merlin »

My answer was pretty much the same as Rob's with the addition that a barbel rod of 1.75 test curve is not designed to be casting weights of 6ozs plus which bait and lead included I would tend to use for zandering.

Personally i use the same rods I use for pike
Malc Green
Chub
Chub

Post by Malc Green »

Lumby's P2 11ft 2.5lb will do for boat and bank. I've used them just for the soft tip for indication.
P4 for when I want to use bigger baits and leads,both rods will cover for all types of Zandering with Pike in mind :thumbs:
Support the PAC.
Tidal River Piker
Covid Loves a Crowd.
JohnCostello
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by JohnCostello »

MartynCat wrote:
Jon Shoreman wrote:
How differen is Z fishing to P fishing?
Having never targeted Z I had assumed it was more or less the same as P fishing, just in a water where there were more Zs.
Given that there are P on the 7, then why not just use the P boat rods? ( that's what I will be doing! )
I plan to. My only question is do I stick with my normal braid and drop the bs from 65 to say 50? Or not? Or just use mono. As reels spooled up with 65 PP is it worth changing?

Looking forward to getting your boat Jon! Paying for the Upton mooring this weekend in fact.

Martyn

Stick with your normal braid. There are so many snags, with the heavier braid you should bend snagged trebles out of most snags.
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

Fishing in the winter on a big fast flowing river, you might also have to take into account the need for a fair bit of lead as well as the bait on the cast - I have a couple of 2lb tc Barbel rods that were superb on the Fens with 2oz of lead and a 2oz Deadbait but that simply couldn't cope with a 5oz lead and a 4oz bait. I have a couple of 'softer' sneaker 2.75lb rods and my ET Sneakers that I use in 10ft and 9ft lengths on the boat with 50lb braid and if I'm not using floats, I am happy to watch the tips for bite detection.

I am often astonished at the power even average Zeds have when they get into midflow on the Severn, never mind the double figure Pike......
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!