Hook link for eels

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Hook link for eels

Post by Jack H »

I’m looking at trying some eel fishing in the summer months on a local river which I know contains eels. I’ve had a look on the very useful National Anguilla Club websites rig section, and just wondering what everybody uses on there twig rigs when fishing with worms. I ve read that a big eel can snap mono, so have got some drennan soft strand wire. How does wire affect the presentation of worms and smaller baits? Has anybody had success using other materials such as Kryston quicksilver or fox armadillo? I would be interested to know.

Jack
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Hook link for eels

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Being that the hook link material is inside the twig, it doesn't really matter unless you intend to hair rig baits.
Eels are strong but 10lb mono will be more than enough in most cases!

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

I've not used the twig, but for non-fish baits I've been using Mason Hard Mono in 20lb. 70lb kevlar catfish hooklink has been eel-proof too, but it's more tangle prone than the stiff mono.
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Tue Apr 02 2024 15:02 -
Being that the hook link material is inside the twig, it doesn't really matter unless you intend to hair rig baits.

Cheers, Alan
I’ve got some of fox’s hair braid for hair rigging worms. My only worry with the wire, is breakages when under pressure and being twisted by a hooked eel. I’ve got some drennan mono so will have a play about with it.

Thanks
Jack
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

davelumb wrote: Tue Apr 02 2024 15:24 -
I've not used the twig, but for non-fish baits I've been using Mason Hard Mono in 20lb. 70lb kevlar catfish hooklink has been eel-proof too, but it's more tangle prone than the stiff mono.
Thanks Dave. Do you find the 20lb mono easy to work with when tying knots or do you crimp it? I think I’ll get hold of some catfish hook link, there seems to be some readily available on eBay. I’m not too worried about tangles as it’s not the biggest of rivers.

Jack
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Jack H wrote: Tue Apr 02 2024 15:43 -
davelumb wrote: Tue Apr 02 2024 15:24 -
Thanks Dave. Do you find the 20lb mono easy to work with when tying knots or do you crimp it? I think I’ll get hold of some catfish hook link, there seems to be some readily available on eBay. I’m not too worried about tangles as it’s not the biggest of rivers.

Jack
I've been using double crimps on the mono. It's difficult stuff to track down though.
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

What’s the preference on mainline for eels? I’ve got some 60lb Berkeley whiplash on my baitrunners, or is mono a better option?

Jack
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Jack H wrote: Tue Apr 02 2024 15:40 -

Cheers, Alan
I’ve got some of fox’s hair braid for hair rigging worms. My only worry with the wire, is breakages when under pressure and being twisted by a hooked eel. I’ve got some drennan mono so will have a play about with it.

Thanks
Jack
When I did a bit of eel fishing on a pit a few years back I used 20lb 49 strand wire with no problems with eels to 4.12 . Was surprised how hard they can pull for their size .I’d say Alan’s 10lb mono suggestion a bit light but each to their own . I was using 65lb power pro for mainline. I’d rather be overgunned if there is any possibility of a big one. Prawns can be a good bait as can a strip of trout but most of mine came to freshly killed rudd deads .
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

Mattjb wrote: Wed Apr 03 2024 13:20 -

Cheers, Alan

Thanks
Jack
When I did a bit of eel fishing on a pit a few years back I used 20lb 49 strand wire with no problems with eels to 4.12 . Was surprised how hard they can pull for their size .I’d say Alan’s 10lb mono suggestion a bit light but each to their own . I was using 65lb power pro for mainline. I’d rather be overgunned if there is any possibility of a big one. Prawns can be a good bait as can a strip of trout but most of mine came to freshly killed rudd deads .
:thumbs: cheers. I think I’ll stick with the drennan soft strand and see how I get on. The soft strand is suppose to be quite supple, so hopefully there won’t be any problems with smaller baits like worms. I’ve heard about freshly killed dead’s for eels. I’m not 100% sure what they are feeding on in my local river, so will try worms to begin with.

Roll on June the 16th

Jack
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Eels used to make using luncheon meat impossible on the Ribble when it was warm enough for them!
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Jack H wrote: Wed Apr 03 2024 13:34 -
Mattjb wrote: Wed Apr 03 2024 13:20 -

Cheers, Alan

Thanks
Jack
:thumbs: cheers. I think I’ll stick with the drennan soft strand and see how I get on. The soft strand is suppose to be quite supple, so hopefully there won’t be any problems with smaller baits like worms. I’ve heard about freshly killed dead’s for eels. I’m not 100% sure what they are feeding on in my local river, so will try worms to begin with.

Roll on June the 16th

Jack
I found the best nights were the nights with the hottest temps . Not sure whether that was a thing with that particular pit or eel fishing in general, haven’t done enough of it to find out.
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

Cheers, Alan

Thanks
Jack

i don't fish for them, but my mate does, he put a ball bearing swivel halfway on the trace to eliminate that, i think he was broken once without the swivel, works, he's had a few 6's and even a 7+
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

Thanks for the tips chaps. I’ll be ordering some ball bearing swivels to tie up some rigs with. I’ve heard people say that hot, muggy nights are the best for eels.

Jack
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

Ratty46 wrote: Wed Apr 03 2024 16:54 -

Cheers, Alan

Thanks
Jack

i don't fish for them, but my mate does, he put a ball bearing swivel halfway on the trace to eliminate that, i think he was broken once without the swivel, works, he's had a few 6's and even a 7+
7+ :eek: . There’s something about big eels, truly amazing creatures.

Jack
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I've been tying twig rigs up with some 20lb wire I got from Steve Moore for perch fishing when pike are present, real supple stuff.

My experience is zero so far but the few mil' sticking out the end of the twig seems to be still quite supple. The whole wire hooklink will be about 5-6" long.

As mentioned on another thread, the masons mono could well be the same as, or very similar to some of the chod link materials carpers use.
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

Bob Watson wrote: Thu Apr 04 2024 18:27 -
I've been tying twig rigs up with some 20lb wire I got from Steve Moore for perch fishing when pike are present, real supple stuff.

My experience is zero so far but the few mil' sticking out the end of the twig seems to be still quite supple. The whole wire hooklink will be about 5-6" long.

As mentioned on another thread, the masons mono could well be the same as, or very similar to some of the chod link materials carpers use.
I’ve got some ridge monkey chod material in my carp bag. Very stiff, a bit like strimmer line. Not sure how effective it would be on an uneven riverbed. Yes I’ve read that shorter hook links are the way forward :thumbs:

Jack
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

Jack H wrote: Thu Apr 04 2024 20:38 -

I’ve got some ridge monkey chod material in my carp bag. Very stiff, a bit like strimmer line. Not sure how effective it would be on an uneven riverbed. Yes I’ve read that shorter hook links are the way forward :thumbs:

What do you use for your twigs? I’ve ordered some pre cut acrylic rod from eBay, but it has turned out quite expensive. I’ve seen the carbon rod sold by catfish pro, but seems quite an expensive way of doing it.

Jack
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

That was the same wire I was using for eels . Got it from Steve for eels and zeds . Great stuff. Pretty sure it’s AFW
Wayneelman
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Wayneelman »

Where possible I incorporate short(3-4") hooklinks of 60lb shock leader sea line. Size 10 strong barbless hook.with 20lb mono mainline. I've been able to bank eels to over 6lb on this set up.But if you have confidence in your set up and your lip hooking your eels ..no worries.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

davelumb wrote: Wed Apr 03 2024 13:48 -
Eels used to make using luncheon meat impossible on the Ribble when it was warm enough for them!
I gave up with meat in the summer for the same reason.

Cheers, ALan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Jack H wrote: Wed Apr 03 2024 17:38 -
Thanks for the tips chaps. I’ll be ordering some ball bearing swivels to tie up some rigs with. I’ve heard people say that hot, muggy nights are the best for eels.

Jack
I think there was a black and white video on here about an eelsman from the fens that said on hot and damp nights when the worms came to the surface, the eels were active.
I would take his word for it!

Cheers, Alan
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

Wayneelman wrote: Fri Apr 05 2024 08:16 -
Where possible I incorporate short(3-4") hooklinks of 60lb shock leader sea line. Size 10 strong barbless hook.with 20lb mono mainline. I've been able to bank eels to over 6lb on this set up.But if you have confidence in your set up and your lip hooking your eels ..no worries.
Have you had any experience with braided shock leaders Wayne? My only worry with mono thick hooklinks would be them not presenting properly on the bottom.

Jack
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Fri Apr 05 2024 08:39 -
Jack H wrote: Wed Apr 03 2024 17:38 -

Jack
I think there was a black and white video on here about an eelsman from the fens that said on hot and damp nights when the worms came to the surface, the eels were active.
I would take his word for it!

Cheers, Alan
:thumbs: I’ll have a look for it.

Jack
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Jack H wrote: Fri Apr 05 2024 16:04 -
Have you had any experience with braided shock leaders Wayne? My only worry with mono thick hooklinks would be them not presenting properly on the bottom.

Jack
Eels take off-bottom baits. I think I've had more action on off-bottom worms than legered since I started using them regularly. Which has got me thinking I should try them popped up an inch or two as well as on paternoster type rigs.
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

davelumb wrote: Fri Apr 05 2024 16:08 -

Jack
Eels take off-bottom baits. I think I've had more action on off-bottom worms than legered since I started using them regularly. Which has got me thinking I should try them popped up an inch or two as well as on paternoster type rigs.
How do you fish them off bottom Dave? Do you use a poly ball on the hook link?

Jack
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Jack H wrote: Fri Apr 05 2024 17:05 -
davelumb wrote: Fri Apr 05 2024 16:08 -

Jack
How do you fish them off bottom Dave? Do you use a poly ball on the hook link?

Jack
Like this.

https://lumbland2.blogspot.com/2021/06/ ... l-way.html
Wayneelman
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Wayneelman »

Jack..I've employed braids of differing features..but gone back to stiff nylon for its anti tangle properties both on and off bottom rigs(paternoster).Incorporated with a stocking net mesh ball of bait tied off with dental floss.The fine mesh snags the eels hacksaw like teeth.
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

Many thanks both for the advice, it’s been very helpful :thumbs:

Jack
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Wayneelman wrote: Fri Apr 05 2024 17:49 -
Jack..I've employed braids of differing features..but gone back to stiff nylon for its anti tangle properties both on and off bottom rigs(paternoster).Incorporated with a stocking net mesh ball of bait tied off with dental floss.The fine mesh snags the eels hacksaw like teeth.
I might give the mesh a try. :thumbs:
Old Mate
Roach
Roach

Post by Old Mate »

Mattjb wrote: Thu Apr 04 2024 23:06 -

That was the same wire I was using for eels . Got it from Steve for eels and zeds . Great stuff. Pretty sure it’s AFW
Hey Matt,

Is that the Calibre Wonder Wire? I found some in my vintage trace wire tin...
How did you make up the traces? I searched and found you have to heat in a flame before you cut it, but I can't find a recommended knot and it is unlikely I will find a crimp small enough.

Cheers, Andy