Perch on small commerical ponds

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
mikeytt
Stickleback
Stickleback

Perch on small commerical ponds

Post by mikeytt »

First time fishing today, had about an 8 hour session on my local club ponds targeting Perch using Jig heads (5grm) but wasn't able to get one take, think I was doing something wrong.

What approach do you guys take when targeting small pond perch? I'd like to stay fishing lures as I like the active methods of fishing but might try running rig with Prawn if still having problems. Cheers
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Perch on small commerical ponds

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

I would fish small perch livebaits.

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Thu Apr 25 2024 06:30 -

Cheers, Alan
+1 👍small lives for perch are my preferred method, prawns and worms are good but if there are carp present they can be a pain
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

By far my favorite method is twitching lob worms under a loafer/swan float and keeping mobile
mikeytt
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by mikeytt »

suffolk si wrote: Thu Apr 25 2024 07:30 -
cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Thu Apr 25 2024 06:30 -

Cheers, Alan
+1 👍small lives for perch are my preferred method, prawns and worms are good but if there are carp present they can be a pain
Just got back from another session and learnt this lesson... Ledering prawns and it was carp after carp. Saved me from another blank I suppose hahaha

No luck on the lures again. Think the cloudy water make it difficult.
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

As said above, livebaits if allowed. I’ve found my bigger perch have always fallen to a bleak livebait. My other suggestion would be a lobworm down the margin or around cover. Not as selective for the larger perch, and you may be pestered by carp/bream. Saying that, I have had some cracking perch on just a single red maggot on a size 18. Just depends on conditions of the day.

Jack
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

mikeytt wrote: Thu Apr 25 2024 20:27 -
Just got back from another session and learnt this lesson... Ledering prawns and it was carp after carp. Saved me from another blank I suppose hahaha

No luck on the lures again. Think the cloudy water make it difficult.
I had a good go for commercial perch a good few years back and found lures hopeless. I tried shads, small cranks, dropshot, tiny spinners/tailspinners (they caught rudd and not much else!) and all failed.

Worm and prawn worked, but the carp are unavoidable. I got a bonus roach a couple of ounces under 2lb too, on a huge lobworm on a size 4 :smile:
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Andrew wrote: Thu Apr 25 2024 10:01 -
By far my favorite method is twitching lob worms under a loafer/swan float and keeping mobile
Worms are about the best bait for perch but far to unselective on size and species on most waters for me.

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Perch are known to be highly cannibalistic particularly if there are lots of small perch present, fishing a whip with maggot will catch you bait and tell you what the most common small fish is and so use one of those!

Cheers, Alan
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

small perch around 3 to 4 inch on a pat rig is the way to go ...if allowed ...