Trace wire

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
magicman
Perch
Perch

Trace wire

Post by magicman »

Hi chaps ,new to pike fly fishing and still in the practise mode and have bought made up leaders off the web but need to make my own up, the question is were do you get your trace wire from, its not the same has bait fishing trace is it ? :smile:
OLDESOX
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Trace wire

Post by OLDESOX »

hi magicman,
try friendly fisherman and tuf leader it's called knotable to the fly line. give me a pm and we can catch up on this. might even get on to bewel
retired so time to smell the roses.
magicman
Perch
Perch

Post by magicman »

Hi oldsox,thanks for the info,I have tried to email you but made a pigs ear of it, as to bewl ,that would be good at some point. :thumbs:
Just found the Tuf Leader, just what Im looking for.
magicman
Perch
Perch

Post by magicman »

I went fishing today for tench/carp and took my fly rod for casting practice which I well need,it was so dead that I got in about 2/3 hours on the fly .
The casts were so bad that it looked like spaghetti flaying about, the thing is that I knew when I was about to a bad one but it was to late :roll:
The good ones started at about 15 paces from the rod and they did get a lot better, up to 42 paces which I was pleased with but with the odd good one came i/2 a dozen bad ones, but slowly im getting there. :scratch:
dart stew laws
Zander
Zander

Post by dart stew laws »

Look on amazon for Dominic Garnets book on flyfishing for coarse fish...nice introduction for anyone thinking about it.
magicman
Perch
Perch

Post by magicman »

Hi Dart,I have been watching a lot of you tube on casting, there are some that are like watching paint dry but there are a lot of very good ones,so really it`s just down to me :grin:
magicman
Perch
Perch

Post by magicman »

Iv`e been looking at tuf leader which has no memory and knot2kinky which has some memory, have anybody tried both or have an opinion on them. :scratch:
They both work out at about £8 for 15ft so not dear.
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

Think most people end up trying them all. I don't rate authanic wire doesn't knot well and one trace doesn't last longer than a days fishing twists up like mad! Heard knot2kinky is good.
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

The rio stuff looks really good but very expensive!
magicman
Perch
Perch

Post by magicman »

Thanks for that Slug,I will give Kinky a go .
Rich Todd
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Rich Todd »

Hi mate like people have said ive tried most, ended up using ESOX super trace 28lb. It's very good costs about a £5er for 15 meters, I knot this via a 2 turn blood knot only pull the tag end to avoid curling the trace.
Oh it's nylon coated too like a very popular brand
Send me your addy and il send you a couple. :thumbs:
magicman
Perch
Perch

Post by magicman »

Hi Rich, somehow I managed to send you my address,cheer`s in advance. :thumbs:
CraigRenwick
Chub
Chub

Post by CraigRenwick »

Best wire I've used for fly fishing is AFW micro supreme
taggie
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by taggie »

surflon for me
BORN TO FISH,FORCED TO WORK :-(

PFFA Membership Secretary
nigel savage
Chub
Chub

Post by nigel savage »

Drennan soft strand used it for years, very limp, to me it gives my fly maximum mobility against the stiffer wires plus it's knottable.
Downside is when a lively jack goes on one, and leaves it kinked up, but you do get 5 metres, so chop off and go again. :thumbs:
Master Bait
Roach
Roach

Post by Master Bait »

Slug wrote:
Think most people end up trying them all. I don't rate authanic wire doesn't knot well and one trace doesn't last longer than a days fishing twists up like mad! Heard knot2kinky is good.
I use K2k single strand Ti for all my lure work, but I have found it unreliable for big flies. I was having it fail mid trace while casting. I have now stopped to the Rio stuff. It is very expensive, but comes highly recommend.
bnjacobsfar1
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by bnjacobsfar1 »

Has anyone tried the Proleader armoured leader material stuff? I have a spool and was impressed on its first outing but can't find it on sale anywhere.... Must be discontinued or sold under a different name?
Master Bait
Roach
Roach

Post by Master Bait »

magicman wrote:
Iv`e been looking at tuf leader which has no memory and knot2kinky which has some memory, have anybody tried both or have an opinion on them. :scratch:
I use K2K (single strand Ti) for a lot of my lure work and I really like it. Unfortunately it has proved unreliable for fly traces. I have had a couple snap mid trace and stopped using it. In the past I have used Proleader which was good, but stands out quite a bit in very clear water. I also tried 90lb FC, but found this too thick and bulky. I have just bought a spool of the Rio trace wire. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks good and comes highly recommended.
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

I've ordered some AFW micro supreme now give that a try as I'm still not happy with any that I've tried! I tried a airflo predator leader out last weekend its good but the clip is useless so i cut the clip off the swivel and attatched a split ring. I'm converted to split rings now for attatching flies! What a difference nothing for material to catch on the fly sits right and has loads of movement!
nigel savage
Chub
Chub

Post by nigel savage »

Slug wrote:
I've ordered some AFW micro supreme now give that a try as I'm still not happy with any that I've tried! I tried a airflo predator leader out last weekend its good but the clip is useless so i cut the clip off the swivel and attatched a split ring I'm converted to split rings now for attatching flies! What a difference nothing for material to catch on the fly sits right and has loads of movement!
:thumbs:
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

How do u attach the split ring to the trace wire? Do u use different sized ones?
sparkie
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by sparkie »

i just started pike fly fishing this year,and had reasonable success for a beginner,i like authanic pike wire this is a good wire for tying a jam knot in and gives the fly good movement though does not last very long when the pike are aggresively attacking the lure i have been trying out jewelery wire and this quite good but the only problem with this is you have to pre-tie the lures as it is a one shot deal but is only £3 for 100mtrs,i am trying to track down a duller colour wire as the sun light hits the wire,i am going try perminant markers on the wire to dull it down will let you know how i get on :thumbs:
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Ive dabbled in it over the years practicing on my local canal with 30lb greys prowla 7 strand crimped with 6ft of 12lb maxima between fly line and trace. Id step up my mono if fishing anywhere but the canal.

No crack offs and only kinks when i badly feck up a cast. Also use tiny cross locks but might try splitrings now. Ill let you know how trace goes when i catch a pike but i reckon it will be fine :laughs:
Rich Todd
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Rich Todd »

Hi sparkle do a search ont google for beadalon 7 strand 0.18 black, use this a bit cheap as chips works out £3.20 for 15 meters. It is made by the same company that makes afw too. Like nige says about the wire he uses it can be wrecked after a crazy jack, but at that price just make another up or make it a bit longer then just cut off the curled bit. :thumbs:
taggie
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by taggie »

does that stuff work ok rich? i mind you talking bout that before
BORN TO FISH,FORCED TO WORK :-(

PFFA Membership Secretary
sparkie
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by sparkie »

Master Bait wrote:
magicman wrote:
I use K2K (single strand Ti) for a lot of my lure work and I really like it. Unfortunately it has proved unreliable for fly traces. I have had a couple snap mid trace and stopped using it. In the past I have used Proleader which was good, but stands out quite a bit in very clear water. I also tried 90lb FC, but found this too thick and bulky. I have just bought a spool of the Rio trace wire. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks good and comes highly recommended.
Spakie says try amnesa in 30lb a level leader tie a large loop for changing wire leader,as with useing any level leader always strech the leader i normally use is 30lb sea line with a 12" wire leader attached,hope this helps
Fox
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by Fox »

AFW micro supreme is good, so is Authanic wire - John Horsey uses this stuff on Chew so it must be good. As for attaching the fly try a Mustad Ultrapoint Fastach Clips a lot easier than a split ring to change flies and still gives you plenty of movement.
fergie68
Barbel
Barbel

Post by fergie68 »

Rich Todd wrote:
Hi sparkle do a search ont google for beadalon 7 strand 0.18 black, use this a bit cheap as chips works out £3.20 for 15 meters. It is made by the same company that makes afw too. Like nige says about the wire he uses it can be wrecked after a crazy jack, but at that price just make another up or make it a bit longer then just cut off the curled bit. :thumbs:
Is it this stuff ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/33034750 ... 0&ff14=108
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP
Rich Todd
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Rich Todd »

fergie68
Barbel
Barbel