Pike flies

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Rich Todd
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Pike flies

Post by Rich Todd »

Some recent pike flies I've tied up. The top two are made with icelandic sheep hair, the bottom pair are 11inch long articulated flash tail whistlers. Just need some time to go fishing now. :bounce:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
monkeydiver
Perch
Perch

Re: Pike flies

Post by monkeydiver »

Nice flies , I really hope they produce a few good sized pike for you.
magicman
Perch
Perch

Post by magicman »

Very good,they make my homemades look a bit scruffy. :red: :grin:
taggie
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by taggie »

MartynCat wrote:
Rich Todd wrote:
Some recent pike flies I've tied up. The top two are made with icelandic sheep hair, the bottom pair are 11inch long articulated flash tail whistlers. Just need some time to go fishing now. :bounce:
11 inch flies! Jeez will knacker you casting them unless you are trolling them?
double Haul :wink: :laughs:
BORN TO FISH,FORCED TO WORK :-(

PFFA Membership Secretary
Rich Todd
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Rich Todd »

taggie wrote:
MartynCat wrote:
Rich Todd wrote:
11 inch flies! Jeez will knacker you casting them unless you are trolling them?
double Haul :wink: :laughs:
Troll no way martyn, I mainly fish normal fly size most of the time but in the depths of winter I like a really big fly fished dead slow. Or if a fish has followed but won't take a baitfish stick one of the whistlers on. :laughs: :thumbs:
Rich Todd
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Rich Todd »

Course I will, sent you a message. :thumbs:
Master Bait
Roach
Roach

Post by Master Bait »

Hi Rich
I have never tied a fly in my life, but have just purchased a second hand vice and kit. Your flies look great, but I have never seen flies with the majority of the hook shank showing. Do you mind if I ask why you tie them like this?
Rich Todd
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Rich Todd »

Master Bait wrote:
Hi Rich
I have never tied a fly in my life, but have just purchased a second hand vice and kit. Your flies look great, but I have never seen flies with the majority of the hook shank showing. Do you mind if I ask why you tie them like this?
Hi mb

This style of fly and material works best this way as to stop the icelandic sheep hair wrapping around the hook. If your just starting out dont go mad with loads of stuff, get a decent bobbin holder pair of scissors and a whip finish tool. Have a look on YouTube and learn from there, I can help you out regarding materials and hooks. If you drop me a message il see what you need.

Rich
Master Bait
Roach
Roach

Post by Master Bait »

Hi Rich
Thanks for the reply.
I was lucky enough to get a full tying kit, so I have got all the gear, but no idea.
David Walsoncroft Dodds, a local guide, has offered to give me a lesson, so I am sure to be bothering you for more advice once I am up and tying.
Cheers
MB
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

Had some in post the other day they quality! Decent hooks too! I was a bit confused by the hook exiting the side of the fly on the Icelandic sheep hair one is this for same reason as above ? To stop material tangling round hook?
Rich Todd
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Rich Todd »

Thanks guys the ones that are tied side on, swim hook down on there side. Bit like an injured fish giving a bigger profile than a normal tied pattern. :laughs: :thumbs:
Rich Todd
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Rich Todd »

Like these
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

Ah right yeah I get it now also the sheep hair looks a lot more natural in the water than synthetic fibres :thumbs: