Three Bass limit

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Three Bass limit

Post by Alex Fox »

Well its now law , all rod and line anglers are limited to take only three bass a day in the UK , much of Europe too , maybe not a bad thing as some are just plain greedy .
Tom H
Roach
Roach

Re: Three Bass limit

Post by Tom H »

can't see many over here ( N. Ireland ) sticking to the 3 fish limit sorry to say. if the tossers will keep 6 inch sea trout what hope is there. There's just no one to police the coastal waters.
jay
Chub
Chub

Post by jay »

This is just the start of the end of sea angling as we know it . Worse case scenario now would be for bass to be made a TAC species . This would definatley see the bass fishery closed to anglers all together . Cod will be next .
phil.c
Zander
Zander

Post by phil.c »

Alex Fox wrote:
Well its now law , all rod and line anglers are limited to take only three bass a day in the UK , much of Europe too , maybe not a bad thing as some are just plain greedy .
We have been waiting for this for years.

We were told that it was going to be two fish, but three is ok.

My mate is a licensed boat and he only targets Bass. And it is controlled really tightly.

But going out from the same port as us there are private unlicensed boats plundering just as many Bass as us.

How can the stocks be controlled if this is allowed to continue?

Charter boats are complaining that a limilt will stop people chartering.

Why is that then? Whats the matter with taking three then catch and release?

Eight anglers hitting a shoal of Bass can take an awful lot.

So this limit can only be a good thing.
My opinion may offend, but it's only an opinion that may differ to your's.
It doesn't make me wrong.

Phil Cheriton....
jay
Chub
Chub

Post by jay »

In an ideal world phil i agree . 3 bass is enough for most anglers , a lot of anglers would be over the moon with 3 . This is very much the thin end of the wedge though . This will only lead to much tighter regulation in future , getting any fishery laws passed at eu level is the hard part , tweaking them laws once passed can be done overnight. That aside i am convinced this whole sorry mess has been blown out of all proportion with the bass stock . Ices claim we need an 80 % reduction yet openly admit not enough survey work has been carried out ? I honestly believe we are now seeing the best bass fishing we have ever seen . As are many people throughout the country .
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

phil.c wrote:
Alex Fox wrote:
We have been waiting for this for years.

We were told that it was going to be two fish, but three is ok.

My mate is a licensed boat and he only targets Bass. And it is controlled really tightly.

But going out from the same port as us there are private unlicensed boats plundering just as many Bass as us.

How can the stocks be controlled if this is allowed to continue?

Charter boats are complaining that a limilt will stop people chartering.

Why is that then? Whats the matter with taking three then catch and release?

Eight anglers hitting a shoal of Bass can take an awful lot.

So this limit can only be a good thing.
If it stops the private boats filling boxes to sell on the black market , it can only be a good thing and the charter skippers I know are happy with this , one told me he took out some fellas last year , they found a huge shoal of bass and using lures had 100 in the boxes , he suggested a move to try for something else and they wouldn't have any of it , so they carried on .
I agree Jay , lots of bass last year and they seem to be virtually all year round now , the need for an 80% reduction in landings does seem a little strange !
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

Phil ... what does your rod and line commercial friend think is coming his way regarding a possible quota ? Also looks like the increase in the MLS to 42cm has been agreed and will be in effect shortly .
jay
Chub
Chub

Post by jay »

Here ya go .

following update from DEFRA:

Overview

Further to the measures applied so far in 2015 – and following the latest discussions at EU level – the European Commission will propose monthly vessel catch limits for bass, seasonal closures on targeting activity for the commercial sector and an increase in the minimum conservation reference size (MCRS) for bass to 42cm for both recreational and commercial sectors.

Details

Following the emergency measures this year, which closed the mid-water trawl spring fishery on spawning aggregations, and the new 3 fish bag limit for recreational anglers, the European Commission intend:

To propose a second in-year amendment to the fishing opportunities Regulation for 2015 with monthly bass catch limits by fishing gear groups and some specific area provisions. This proposal could be made in late April – which suggests new monthly vessel catch limits for bass could be in place as soon as June.In parallel, to use implementing powers for immediate action to conserve stocks to propose amendments to the EU Technical Conservation Regulation (EU 850/98) to: increase the bass MCRS to 42cm for both recreational and commercial sectors; apply seasonal closures for targeting activity by commercial fishing gear vessel groups; and make a mesh size adjustment to 110mm+ for fixed gears to target bass, in line with the MCRS increase. Timing is uncertain at this stage but this is likely to be agreed before the end of the year.The Commission are also looking at the potential to ask for advice from the EUScientific, Technical and Economic Committee for Fisheries) on the elements of the interim bass package, for example, the monthly catch limits and possible seasonal closures by fishing gear group, as well as the earlier emergency measures, though the timing of such advice need not delay implementation of the catch limits and other provisions.

It is clear that the view of the scientists in STECF and in the annual ICES assessment will now be pivotal. The new ICES advice should be available in late May or early June.

The Federation accepts that some remedial measures are inevitable, although we do not agree that the 80% reduction in fishing mortality, suggested by an MSY approach, would be deliverable, necessary or appropriate. We support a balanced package of measures, including all fisheries which impact the bass stocks, applied in a fair and proportionate way. We reject opportunistic moves by some in the recreational sector (clothed in conservationist disguise) to reserve the whole bass fishery for recreational use.
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

Will be interesting to see what the quotas are , the price of bass could rocket !
phil.c
Zander
Zander

Post by phil.c »

Alex Fox wrote:
Phil ... what does your rod and line commercial friend think is coming his way regarding a possible quota ? Also looks like the increase in the MLS to 42cm has been agreed and will be in effect shortly .
I will have a chat with him on Tuesday.

We are lifting the boat out for it's annual antifoul.

But as we are rod and liners we don't get anywhere near the quota at the moment.

Phil Cheriton....
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

phil.c wrote:
Alex Fox wrote:

But as we are rod and liners we don't get anywhere near the quota at the moment.
I thought there was no quota for bass , this being part of the problem as other small quotas for cod etc are reached and many small boats then target non quota fish such as bass to keep fishing ?
phil.c
Zander
Zander

Post by phil.c »

Alex Fox wrote:
phil.c wrote:
Alex Fox wrote:

I thought there was no quota for bass , this being part of the problem as other small quotas for cod etc are reached and many small boats then target non quota fish such as bass to keep fishing ?
You are right about boats targeting Bass once their quotas of Cod and Skate have been reached.

We fish from Ramsgate and the fishing fleet there are having a pretty hard time.

A lot of them are now driftnetting for them at night.

Or setting gillnets during the day.

I thought his Bass quota was set at around five tons but I may be wrong.

The fisheries inspector makes us fill in a sheet with a guesstimate of the weight of our fish.

Just to transport them home. Then accurate records must be submitted.

It has gone a bit mad now.

His licence also has allowance for selling Shellfish.

But if he doesn't submit catch reports for them he stands to have the Shellfish allowance taken off.

We have been boarded at sea and had the catch inspected.

We get inspections in the harbour.

We use live Sandeels for bait and we can swim them over in an inboard tank overnight.

But we are not allowed to take them home as landing Sandeels is now not allowed.

He gets reams of paper about rule changes and info through his letterbox every week.

Phil Cheriton....
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

The night time drift netting takes huge amounts of bass along the south coast , my friend was going out early one morning on his boat and took a few pics on his phone of the catches still on the decks , many still tangled in the nets , it was a shocking amount .
phil.c
Zander
Zander

Post by phil.c »

I had a word with my mate yesterday and his quota is 5 tonne per month.

He has not had it reduced yet but has been informed about the size limit being increased to 42cm.

Although we rarely catch anything that small anyway.

He wasn't informed about the three fish limit because that is recreational fishing.

Phil Cheriton....
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

Thanks Phil , they may well reduce that quota then , who knows , do you think there has been an increase in rod and line commercials over the last few years ? on our local reefs we used to have an old fella do it , he caught plenty and was a cagey little bugger :laughs: he has gone now , but we now have 3 warrior boats doing it , plus 2 others , these only appearing over the last 2-3 years , I cant see how they can sustain it now !
phil.c
Zander
Zander

Post by phil.c »

In our corner of Kent there are only three licenced rod and liners.

But there are quite a few private boats that have appeared with livebait tanks on the back.

The three fish limit will sort them out though.

I hear Weymouth has loads of them though.

Our fishing stops in September but theirs goes on into the winter months.

We did think of moving the boat there for October/November but heard we would not be welcome. :grin:

Phil Cheriton....
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

Haha , bet you wouldn't , we also have the private boats that copy the commercials when the bass shoal up , obviously flogging their catches , I hope the three fish rule stops them , its one thing a cant stand , if you want to catch and sell , then get a licence .
I spoke to one of the IFCA fellas last night and asked him about the policing of this , he said they will be doing spot checks on private boats now from their ribs , but admitted that they will be hoping for phone calls , basically people grassing !
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

phil.c wrote:

He has not had it reduced yet but has been informed about the size limit being increased to 42cm.

He wasn't informed about the three fish limit because that is recreational fishing.

Have just seen the restrictions coming into force next week , looks like no increase in size limits , but commercial rod and liners have a 1300kg a month quota and drift netters have a 1000kg a month quota .
phil.c
Zander
Zander

Post by phil.c »

Alex Fox wrote:
phil.c wrote:

Have just seen the restrictions coming into force next week , looks like no increase in size limits , but commercial rod and liners have a 1300kg a month quota and drift netters have a 1000kg a month quota .

Some months 1300kg would be enough for us.

What with the wind and tides on their a**e.

But other months it would be nowhere near enough.

A fair day we will catch 4 boxes, that is around 120 kg.

That is only 11 catching days out of the month.

My mate hasn't mentioned it, although we have been speculating that a ton a month was on the cards.

Phil Cheriton....
chris_parry
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by chris_parry »

Alex Fox wrote:
Haha , bet you wouldn't , we also have the private boats that copy the commercials when the bass shoal up , obviously flogging their catches , I hope the three fish rule stops them , its one thing a cant stand , if you want to catch and sell , then get a licence .
I spoke to one of the IFCA fellas last night and asked him about the policing of this , he said they will be doing spot checks on private boats now from their ribs , but admitted that they will be hoping for phone calls , basically people grassing !
The fisheries rib has been out on Morecambe Bay regularly this summer, boarding the private boats. It's about time, they should have done it years ago.Let's hope it continues.
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

chris_parry wrote:
Alex Fox wrote:
The fisheries rib has been out on Morecambe Bay regularly this summer, boarding the private boats. It's about time, they should have done it years ago.Let's hope it continues.

Hi Chris , is this solely for bass limits ?
chris_parry
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by chris_parry »

Definitely,they are checking for anyone exceeding their limit of 3 as their main concern. They are concentrating all of their effort out at sea on the ebb and flood bass marks. They are doing a great job.
Amazes me how far out they travel on those small ribs and they travel so fast, they catch a lot of people by surprise .
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

chris_parry wrote:
Definitely,they are checking for anyone exceeding their limit of 3 as their main concern. They are concentrating all of their effort out at sea on the ebb and flood bass marks. They are doing a great job.
Amazes me how far out they travel on those small ribs and they travel so fast, they catch a lot of people by surprise .

Thanks for that Chris , the reason I asked is that a friend told me last week the inshore fisheries people were down in Littlehampton Marina near me doing a survey or something and also checking on bass numbers for rod and line anglers , I havnt seen them checking yet , but have been told that they will also be out in their rib checking .
The interesting thing will be when they start finding anglers with more than the three limit , what will they actually do !
phil.c
Zander
Zander

Post by phil.c »

The fisheries have been doing checks around the Herne bay area.

But I have yet to see anyone off Dover or Folkestone.

It's a bit of a joke with us, as the Fisheries boat is moored in Ramsgate Harbour,

and we regularly chat with them.

Occasionally they check the catch, and we are sure it's just so they have something written in their book.

It would scare the s**t out of the private boats if they ever bother to go and check them as it looks like a naval frigate, with a rib with twin engines on the back. :grin:

Phil Cheriton....
jay
Chub
Chub

Post by jay »

There ya go . Read my earlier comments and the news of the bass proposals for 2016 . No take for first 6 months for anglers and 1 fish per day for the second 6 months. Read number 7 .
http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_ME ... 43&lang=en
phil.c
Zander
Zander

Post by phil.c »

jay wrote:
There ya go . Read my earlier comments and the news of the bass proposals for 2016 . No take for first 6 months for anglers and 1 fish per day for the second 6 months. Read number 7 .
http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_ME ... 43&lang=en
A complete ban for the first six months...

They have only just introduced a 1200 kilo quota.

How do they know how what impact that has had on stocks.

Just shows you how little they know. :evil:

Phil Cheriton....
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

Thanks for putting that up Jay , surely its not for the Channel , just Atlantic and North sea ?
jay
Chub
Chub

Post by jay »

That was just an add on to the north sea and atlantic tacs . I expect it will be for everyone as the 3 bass limit was alex . I think what you will find that has happend is that when the pairs ban came into force earlier this year , they didn't expect them same french boats to start surface netting for bass instead . Hence the bass take is still as high as it was . Yes they have put a limit on each boat but not all boats target bass, so a certain ammount of fish swapping will go on . I think the total ban in the first 6 months is mainly to stop the commercial pairs and surface netters doing the main damage . Anglers are now being dragged along in this whole episode .
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

so someone catches 3 of about 5lbs and kills them and carries on sport fishing
and then he catches a whopper, then 2 more.

bet your bottom dollar he comes ashore with 3 whoppers
phil.c
Zander
Zander

Post by phil.c »

Kev Berry wrote:
so someone catches 3 of about 5lbs and kills them and carries on sport fishing
and then he catches a whopper, then 2 more.

bet your bottom dollar he comes ashore with 3 whoppers
Kev the proposal for next year for recreational anglers is no Bass for the first six months... Then one.

And no commercial fishing for Bass in the first six months.

Phil Cheriton....