Back to basics

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Ash m
Zander
Zander

Back to basics

Post by Ash m »

My little lad asked to go fishing today (which is quite a odd thing) he never shows much interest and don't try forcing him to put him off, was planning to go barbel fishing this eve but scrapped that to take opportunity of his enthusiasm and a good opportunity to collect some deadbait for freezer, took him tackle shop and he had his first experience with maggots, went to old fishing haunts were I fished daily as a kid and a mate came along and helped with more fish getting caught to keep his attention, well the boy came out of him and was soon happy hooking maggots in "bum" and baiting up, we caught stacks of grayling (all went back as dont rate them as pike bait deed) perch, brown trout and minnow! And fished a few spots for a good 5+ hours on the maggot feeder and 4m whip and time flew and was good been back in old (shitty) surroundings with my lad and him enjoying it, he even manned up and wanted to nobble the trout for baits and did his first kills which surprised me. Makes me wonder through the summer all the time I spend on rivers starring at rod tops for barbel and how 1/2 pint of maggots can give you so much more fun
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Really good going back to basics sometimes, them 18 and 20 hooks are f*****g small tho
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
norwich lad
Chub
Chub

Re: Back to basics

Post by norwich lad »

sometimes i find it nice to let the kids turn back time.done a few trips with my eldest 2, 5/6 yrs. done margin float stuff on lakes as well as gudgeon and dace on local river's. as you say not forced but they seem to enjoy it when catching. your son look like he enjoyed it with the snaps.well done to him.
Lee Davison,Period Furniture Restoration,Carpentry.in Norfolk.

What You Caught mate, Nothing,Won't fish Here Again!
Ash m
Zander
Zander

Post by Ash m »

He surprised me, he's going to want to go more now he's enjoyed it!
Rik W
Chub
Chub

Post by Rik W »

Brilliant mate :grin:
Your son is your double!
Ash m
Zander
Zander

Post by Ash m »

RikPAC wrote:
Brilliant mate :grin:
Your son is your double!

Yeah theirs no DNA tests needed their :thumbs:
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

Quality......I love taking my nephew out......he's only 5 and have caught over his angling career perch, rudd, roach, carp, crucian carp and bream.....

The best thing I ever bought him was a 4m pole.....makes the setting up so much easier and quicker...
grford77
Roach
Roach

Post by grford77 »

Brilliant Ash. :thumbs: Hoping to get my little lad out with me, once he's a bit bigger.
Ash m
Zander
Zander

Post by Ash m »

grford77 wrote:
Brilliant Ash. :thumbs: Hoping to get my little lad out with me, once he's a bit bigger.

He's 6, how olds yours? They need to be catching is the key I think! been out a few times with me over years but never really bothered much for it, he's got no interest in big fish either so maggot bashing is the way for him, a few more of him
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Really hoping he takes to it but its hard trying to make him without forcing him, he enjoys landing em in landing net more than owt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave H
Roach
Roach

Post by Dave H »

Was a good day pal. Think we enjoyed it as much as him forgot how fun a few hours with the maggots was. Loved when he had his first fish though chucked the whip out and everything. hopefully a few more session and he will take to it.
Ash m
Zander
Zander

Post by Ash m »

Dave H wrote:
Was a good day pal. Think we enjoyed it as much as him forgot how fun a few hours with the maggots was. Loved when he had his first fish though chucked the whip out and everything. hopefully a few more session and he will take to it.

Yeah forget the piking we'll just catch bait all winter :thumbs: