Catching barbel on the float

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Catching barbel on the float

Post by Daniel »

I fancy a change and like the idea of catching barbel under a float, I've caught loads with big feeders and rods waving in the air but find it a bit boring, using a float appeals much more.

I've never done it at all so any advice regarding gear and bait would be appreciated. I'll be fishing a big, powerful river, not a little stream, so keep that in mind when making suggestions!

Cheers
Dan.
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Catching barbel on the float

Post by dannytaylor »

Big loafer float, big bait. Just like stepped up grayling fishing when I've done it.

Have you not tried rolling meat? Really exciting mobile method :thumbs:
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

dannytaylor wrote:
Big loafer float, big bait. Just like stepped up grayling fishing when I've done it.

Not yet Danny but I intend on taking a spare rod with me to give it a go. I used to fish for all sorts but got into lure fishing and everything else fell by the wayside. I'm not sure why but I've recently felt a need to get back into fishing for other species again.
Barryfisher
Perch
Perch

Post by Barryfisher »

dannytaylor wrote:

+1 for the rolling meat method. Chunks of cocktail sausage works well. :thumbs:
An expert is but a beginner with experience.
"Sometimes in life there is a great skill in knowing when to shut up" - Alan.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

:shrug:
Last edited by Mike J on Wed Feb 28 2024 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Done a bit of trotting for barbel, long rod, "pin" with a float over shotted, over depth and held back :thumbs: rolling meat and the float ledgering method mentioned above is for..... :laughs:

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

:wink:

Last edited by Mike J on Wed Feb 28 2024 17:25, edited 2 times in total.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

Most modified.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Mike J wrote:
cookiesdaughtersdad wrote:
Done a bit of trotting for barbel, long rod, "pin" with a float over shotted, over depth and held back :thumbs: rolling meat and the float ledgering method mentioned above is for..... :laughs:

Cheers Alan

Why are you attempting to insult me Allen?

Please can the Forum moderators review this members post and act accordingly?

Grow some quickly :wink: oh and by the way, I am a moderator :laughs:

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

:shrug:
Last edited by Mike J on Wed Feb 28 2024 17:26, edited 1 time in total.
AndyLarkins
Perch
Perch

Post by AndyLarkins »

yeah!... wind ya neck in Alan! :laughs: ....."The Pit" has standards! :wink:

(FFS face)
Image http://www.canterburypac.blogspot.com
"C'MON!.. Ya like a fat girl in red shoes" Andy Brown 2015
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Mike J wrote:

WTF, if you find that offensive, stick around you havent seen anything yet. :laughs

do a dictionary search of the word gayer,

Six definitions, only one is derogatory, whats to say alan wasnt referring to one of the other five.

Thats over sensitive bullshit.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Jason Skilton wrote:
Most modified.
Jason, why moderate that post?
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Mike J wrote:
Done a bit of trotting for barbel, long rod, "pin" with a float over shotted, over depth and held back :thumbs: rolling meat and the float ledgering method mentioned above is for .... :laughs:

Cheers Alan
Moderate it back :laughs:

Why are you attempting to insult me Allen?

Grow some quickly :wink: oh and by the way, I am a moderator :laughs:

Cheers Alan
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Post by dannytaylor »

Think Mike was jesting :laughs:

Back to the barbel.............

Defo give the rolling a go. One time I was barbel fishing and blanking on carpeling tactics. A mate had a go at rolling meat and started to get bites. I had a jig rod and a small fixed spool loaded with 20lb braid with me. So I improvised tied on a size 4 hook stuck a massive piece of meat on, got in my chest waders and found some fast shallow water. The bites where unmissable and the scrap on the light spinning gear was something else. Good times. :camera:
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

Duncan Holmes wrote:
Mike J wrote:

WTF, if you find that offensive, stick around you havent seen anything yet. :laughs

Six definitions, only one is derogatory, whats to say alan wasnt referring to one of the other five.

I a moderater.....it was reported as offensive.....the word has an offensive meaning.....it was removed.....end of story
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Jason Skilton wrote:
Duncan Holmes wrote:
Mike J wrote:

I a moderater.....it was reported as offensive.....the word has an offensive meaning.....it was removed.....end of story

Fair enough,

seams like we have one or two newish members that havent accepted the spirit of the pit.

Would be unfortunate if this becomes a habit.

Slippery slope and all that.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Duncan Holmes wrote:
Jason Skilton wrote:
Duncan Holmes wrote:
Mike J wrote:

Fair enough,

seams like we have one or two newish members that havent accepted the spirit of the pit.

Would be unfortunate if this becomes a habit.

Slippery slope and all that.
No not fair enough! not fair enough at all and that must be a 1st, a moderator moderating a moderator's post for the professionally offended, I am one p****d off Cookie and no Duncan, me being a moderator and being moderated WILL NOT BECOME A HABIT!

Cheers Alan
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

I saw a fair few replies so I was thinking loads of people had come forward with helpful advice and it turns out some bloke who has only just joined the forum has been offended at f**k all.

I'm offended that my thread is now full of crap.....oh.....wait.....no I'm not. I'm a grown up.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Daniel wrote:
I saw a fair few replies so I was thinking loads of people had come forward with helpful advice and it turns out some bloke who has only just joined the forum has been offended at f**k all.

I'm offended that my thread is now full of crap.....oh.....wait.....no I'm not. I'm a grown up.
:wink:

A lot of the best swims for this Daniel are close in deepish runs, especially in the winter and a smallish bait dropper is the only way to feed other wise you will have to walk a few swims upstream to put bait in and then only achieve poor accuracy :wink:
What river you thinking?

Cheers Alan
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

dannytaylor wrote:
Think Mike was jesting :laughs:

Back to the barbel.............

Defo give the rolling a go. One time I was barbel fishing and blanking on carpeling tactics. A mate had a go at rolling meat and started to get bites. I had a jig rod and a small fixed spool loaded with 20lb braid with me. So I improvised tied on a size 4 hook stuck a massive piece of meat on, got in my chest waders and found some fast shallow water. The bites where unmissable and the scrap on the light spinning gear was something else. Good times. :camera:
Unfortunately he wasnt Danny and I wonder how professionally offended you were that I also implied that rolling meat was also gayers technique? :laughs:

Part of the trouble with typical meats is the high fat content, often meaning the meat is buoyant, some meets are better than others, I used to use the extra strong garlic sausage from tescos, nice and firm and sunk but what is very advisable is to add weight in the form of lead wire to the shank of the hook, makes a big difference.
Casting up stream generally and fishing a little bow in the line,bites can be tricky to spot and vary from pulls of sorts to the line falling slack, almost as though its been cut, take plenty of meat as you will strike some off on false takes and as Danny said, great fun!
Barbel can view static baits during the day as being dangerous, so a bait the moves can trick them :wink:

Cheers Alan