cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Cheesepaste

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

dave aylett wrote: Fri Feb 24 2023 18:27 -
cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Fri Feb 24 2023 18:00 -
dave aylett wrote: Fri Feb 24 2023 13:19 -
Worth including a couple of drops of n- buytric acid in the mix. It’s found in rancid butter ( another dairy product) so goes will in cheesepaste. It stinks . The chub love it too.
Where can you get that from?

Cheers, Alan

A quick Google search will show you I’d guess. It’s a carp boilie additive
Personally, I used the nutrabaits. I have ( when I made boilies) total faith in anything nutrabaits.
Google, whats that? :wink:

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

dave aylett wrote: Fri Feb 24 2023 18:27 -
cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Fri Feb 24 2023 18:00 -
Worth including a couple of drops of n- buytric acid in the mix. It’s found in rancid butter ( another dairy product) so goes will in cheesepaste. It stinks . The chub love it too.
Where can you get that from?

Cheers, Alan

A quick Google search will show you I’d guess. It’s a carp boilie additive
Personally, I used the nutrabaits. I have ( when I made boilies) total faith in anything nutrabaits.
I used it years ago when I dabbled in making my own boilies, a local tackle shop had small bottles of it. It went in very "sparingly"!

I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than knock boilies up now.

Back on topic, the last batch of paste I knocked up a few weeks ago had a generous glug of THIS added. Only had two sessions (one aborted) on it with no results to warrant its' use,,,,,yet :roll:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

:sick:
dave aylett
Perch
Perch

Post by dave aylett »

davelumb wrote: Fri Feb 24 2023 20:05 -
Haha
Well at least I’d not said what else it’s found in
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

dave aylett wrote: Fri Feb 24 2023 20:44 -
Haha
Well at least I’d not said what else it’s found in
:wink:
dave aylett
Perch
Perch

Post by dave aylett »

Actually, your nauseated emoji is a good clue .
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

dave aylett wrote: Fri Feb 24 2023 20:47 -
I remember when the stuff first turned up at the shop I worked in.

Also remember the essential oils that melted plastic! :laughs:
dave aylett
Perch
Perch

Post by dave aylett »

davelumb wrote: Fri Feb 24 2023 21:12 -
dave aylett wrote: Fri Feb 24 2023 20:47 -
I remember when the stuff first turned up at the shop I worked in.

Also remember the essential oils that melted plastic! :laughs:
Indeed. Nutrabaits leek on almond oil did me proud .
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Bob Watson wrote: Fri Feb 24 2023 19:57 -
Opposite here, really. I had an idea to knock up a base mix from scratch last year and did so - inspired by the surplus of eggs from my hens. The resulting baits (old school birdfood style mix) looked and smelled rather good, but then it went in the freezer and I just couldn't be arsed to go carp fishing...
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Steve Dennington wrote: Fri Feb 24 2023 23:27 -
Opposite here, really. I had an idea to knock up a base mix from scratch last year and did so - inspired by the surplus of eggs from my hens. The resulting baits (old school birdfood style mix) looked and smelled rather good, but then it went in the freezer and I just couldn't be arsed to go carp fishing...
My home made boilies were made from liquidised bird seed, ground rice, semolina and other things from the supermarket and pet supply shop. The only other "carpy" thing that went in was the flavourings, my favourite being mainlines' pro-active pineapple, probably because I and not the carp like the smell!

They caught OK!

I weighed up the cost/time factor of being in the kitchen until daft o'clock and decided that for the few times I carp fished, I'd buy them!
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Bob Watson wrote: Sat Feb 25 2023 13:39 -
My home made boilies were made from liquidised bird seed, ground rice, semolina and other things from the supermarket and pet supply shop. The only other "carpy" thing that went in was the flavourings, my favourite being mainlines' pro-active pineapple, probably because I and not the carp like the smell!

They caught OK!

I weighed up the cost/time factor of being in the kitchen until daft o'clock and decided that for the few times I carp fished, I'd buy them!
None of the ingredients in mine except vanilla powder and the liquid additives came from bait suppliers. Most of it came from Holland & Barrett and the egg biscuit meal from Pets At Home.

I agree that it's probably not worth the effort unless you go through 50kg a season, but I quite enjoyed going through the process, from putting it all together on paper, to actually making the bait again. Shame the ol' carp mojo has abandoned me, but most were 12mm, so I can use them for tench this season :smile:
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Managed an hour or three on the Mill stream today, cheese paste did the trick for my last river fish of the season, finished early coz of the wintery showers but really quite happy! :grin:

Cheers,Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Mick Cobb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mick Cobb »

Bob Watson wrote: Sat Feb 25 2023 13:39 -

They caught OK!

Back in the mid 80's all my boilies were handmade semolina soya powder and ground rice with a few eggs and Hutchy's Scopex flavour and rolled with your hand in a large empty ice-cream tub to make a uniform sausage of the paste for cutting up, rounding, then boiled, I use to do it on my night shift when I could get away with it. :thumbs:
Always quietly confident.
Godisacarp
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Godisacarp »

To soften it up work in some vegetable oil and stick in fridge overnight then check if soft enough otherwise heat from your hands gives false impression of softness. To stiffen up flour is one thing to use you simply do not want to miss any bites by not striking hook out of bait where big chub are concerned. Usually one or no bites per swim!
Godisacarp
Stickleback
Stickleback

Re: Missing chub bites

Post by Godisacarp »

Once you have let the flow bump your lead(swanshot etc) into position feed a few feet of line out to soften and slow the bite and wait for a really good bite. I usually have a ring indicator bobbin on a longish drop as well as a qivertip 6lb straight through and bully them the drag only gives line if I hook a barbel