Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Who inspired you the most?

Post by Monts »

Dave Horton wrote: Sun Apr 14 2024 14:38 -
Monts wrote: Sun Apr 14 2024 13:46 -
Mike F wrote: Sun Apr 14 2024 11:23 -
Monts wrote: Sat Apr 13 2024 17:32 -
I think you are born an angler and if it's in you it's in you and you either love it or fall away and find other pastimes.
I think your right there. Ive no idea where i got it from as none of my immediate family had the slightest bit of interest in angling. My grandfather must have had a dabble when he was young as i found some old lures in his garage when we cleared it out. Before he died he brought me my first rod and reel and i fished on the river Lark which one of his relatives owned a farm and land which backed onto it. I remember seeing a shoal of around 8 massive perch hunting in a shallow eddy and was fascinated from then on. Strange how you can remember sights, smells, memories etc, as i can still remember the smell of the tobacco tin he kept his bits in when i found it. But yes, my passion for angling was of my own making and i soaked up everything fishing related by myself. I sometimes wish i could go back to those days and relive them, as fishing now is very different and our rivers are shadows of their former selves.
And I expect like most people on here you can't walk over a bridge without peering over the side. Fishing is different now but almost everything is. It's still a great pastime to have, I loved my day on the river yesterday.
Aye and who hasn't lain the bath end emulated a fish flank with ya hand movements to try determine how big?

(The thing that made the swirl was face)
That's a new one in me. :grin:
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

Monts wrote: Mon Apr 15 2024 05:33 -
Dave Horton wrote: Sun Apr 14 2024 14:38 -
Monts wrote: Sun Apr 14 2024 13:46 -
I think you are born an angler and if it's in you it's in you and you either love it or fall away and find other pastimes.
I think your right there. Ive no idea where i got it from as none of my immediate family had the slightest bit of interest in angling. My grandfather must have had a dabble when he was young as i found some old lures in his garage when we cleared it out. Before he died he brought me my first rod and reel and i fished on the river Lark which one of his relatives owned a farm and land which backed onto it. I remember seeing a shoal of around 8 massive perch hunting in a shallow eddy and was fascinated from then on. Strange how you can remember sights, smells, memories etc, as i can still remember the smell of the tobacco tin he kept his bits in when i found it. But yes, my passion for angling was of my own making and i soaked up everything fishing related by myself. I sometimes wish i could go back to those days and relive them, as fishing now is very different and our rivers are shadows of their former selves.
And I expect like most people on here you can't walk over a bridge without peering over the side. Fishing is different now but almost everything is. It's still a great pastime to have, I loved my day on the river yesterday.
Aye and who hasn't lain the bath end emulated a fish flank with ya hand movements to try determine how big?

(The thing that made the swirl was face)
That's a new one in me. :grin:
Darn it just me then?

(Doesn't surprise me face) :laughs:
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

davelumb wrote: Sat Apr 13 2024 16:38 -
martin(rockape) wrote: Sat Apr 13 2024 16:31 -
Mark Phillips wrote: Sat Apr 13 2024 13:36 -
martin(rockape) wrote: Sat Apr 13 2024 08:12 -
peteren wrote: Fri Apr 12 2024 22:34 -
Mark Phillips wrote: Fri Apr 12 2024 20:28 -
Mike F wrote: Sat Mar 30 2024 16:27 -
For me Ivan Marks was a truly inspirational angler, who's record as a match angler was truly spectacular, and who's every word i read and re-read and digested, and who was by all accounts a really great guy, offering advive on the banks while he fished and won many matches. Ian Heaps came a close second, another truly brilliant angler. My piking heros were Dave Plumber, John Watson, Martyn Page and Vic Bellars, whos books a still love reading. Rod Hutchinson, when he owned Catchum products, was my ultimate angling hero, who, although already a cult figure in the carp world, was always down to earth to always responded to my letters to offer help and advice when i started carp fishing back in the early 80's. My entire angling life was moulded by these truly inspirational anglers. Who inspired you the most when you took up angling?
I took this picture when out for a walk after work last summer. It's just down the road from our property in Lincolnshire.

Inspiration? When I was younger, Kevin Maddocks. I was obsessed with carp fishing for some time.
I’ve seen that- lovely epitaph!
Exactly where is it? I reckon I've driven past it looking for it.

Regards

Martin
River Welland. Sadly, no one seems to look after it, so no surprise you might have missed it. I had to clear all the weeds from it to get that picture.

Well I'm glad I was in the right area but how far from Fen bridge/ The bridge inn pub is it?

Regards

Martin
Google is your friend.

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.6797306 ... ?entry=ttu
:laughs:

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Some of my early angling memories would (amongst others) make for a great visit back in time!

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

No one really got me into fishing i don't know how the interest appeared maybe living near a river .
My uncle fished a bit and I hassled him into taking me we caught a wee wild brownie from the river.
Then I got a fishing kit from Fine Fair with a picture of Dickie Davis on it and there was no stopping me.
I actually got my dad into it and we went with a local club which was great as he didn't drive so I was able to fish the trossachs lochs and even further afield the tackle got better too.
Paul Young Hooked on Scotland really put the hook into me and got me interested in the ferox .
As soon as my pal got his driving licence we're heading north to the big lochs there was boat hire on most of them back then. It was great . I can't see me ever stopping now.
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP