Deeper Pro + Fish Finder

Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Deeper Pro + Fish Finder

Post by Duncan Holmes »

A castable fish finder has been on my radar for a number of years but lack of range and having to carry an additional screen around put me off buying one.

I don't like smashing the water to a foam business of a marker rod, and fishing weedy waters makes repeat casts inevitable as the marker jams up.

Noticed that the deeper range of products now included a wifi unit with range up to 100m and app based software, which got over my two main objections, so I took the plunge and brought on of these https://buydeeper.com/en/deeper-pro-plus

The app download is straightforward as you would imagine, and the unit was easy to connect to both my android phone and tablet. I then downloaded the UK maps on to the tablet and was surprised to see what appeared to be accurate outlines on all the local lakes that I checked.

As our favourite quarry can have a liking for grabbing slowly retrieved stuff off the surface I thought adding a trace was a good idea so i rigged one up before i took it down to my local lake on sunday for a try.

Plopping in the edge turned the unit on and a few seconds later it connected to the tablet and I gave it a half lob out. for something about the size of a tennis ball it flew surprisingly well.

The image of the screen is pretty good and depth reading was pretty stable and the displayed exactly what I expected. As I started to retrieve, the map started logging the depths and building up picture of the bottom.

Further casts added to the map, and then I found some fish as you can see below

Over about an hour, I had started to build up quite a good map which is now stored on my tablet and can be added to in the future.

Found quite a few fish, which to be honest were in the areas I would have expected them.

I have my braid marked at 85 yards, ( top end of my comfortable feeder range) I was comfortably chucking the finder to that distance and receiving signal no problem.

Battery life seams good, 20% gone after about an hour and half.

The amount of disturbance v's the information gained is massively reduced over a marker float.

All in all I am very impressed with the finder and cant really see me using a marker float again. :thumbs:
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
monkeydiver
Perch
Perch

Re: Deeper Pro + Fish Finder

Post by monkeydiver »

I totally agree with you Duncan. I have had one for about 3 months and find it invaluable for feature finding with little or no disturbance to the swim.
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Anybody know if they work with a kindle fire?did you pay around 150£ for yours Duncan?I like the look of them..
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Si, I think you can hack the fire so it will run android apps.

I paid around £190 for the pro + version which has the GPS module in the puck so you can make maps, the pro version wont make maps unless its attached to a boat.

Pretty awesome kit, found a very tiny weed bed in open water on sat night, from which my other half managed two new pb tench from at 7.14 and 8.5. Would have had to been very thorough or lucky with a marker to have found the weedbed. :thumbs: :thumbs:
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Cheers Duncan,defo looks a handy bit of kit,maybe I will treat myself to a new tablet too.congrats on the pb by the way :thumbs:
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Cheers Si, She was very pleased with herself, now she wants a 9 :grin:
fishder
Perch
Perch

Post by fishder »

i have the ibobber use it with my ph very handy piece off kit.
JannerH
Roach
Roach

Post by JannerH »

I've got the Deeper Pro+ and consider it an excellent piece of kit for feature finding and measuring water temperature. However, it's not so good at fish finding. I found it would show fish when it was obvious there were no fish - in a boat in 10' clear water with bottom clearly visible and not a fish in sight.