Ratting

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
Alan_dalton
Barbel
Barbel

Ratting

Post by Alan_dalton »

Out ratting tonight in some cow sheds, didn't see any. Before packing up thought I would shoot some pigeons. Next thing I know shot over 20 rats all running through the roof beams . Great night sat in a shed dry and plenty of Roland's to shoot. Going have to come back tomorrow now!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Ratting

Post by Mike J »

I used to shoot the rats off the rafters with a lightweight flat head pellet that didn't go through the asbestos cladding.
Didnt 'arf make a plop when it hit them, body shots were best as my nasher pack were always waiting below to do the rest :laughs:

What brand of scope were you using?
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
wid
Roach
Roach

Post by wid »

Great stuff alan, sounds like a good night, hope you have another good one tonight, love the picture of the horrible little fecker with a bit of claret 😊
Captain Pugwash
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Captain Pugwash »

I used to do quite alot of airgunning and pest control.
Hw100kt mtc mamba lite with homemade night vision = lots of dead rats, great sport and very satisfiying.
You wont catch owt sat at home on the setee😁
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

The recent clear nights and the full moon have seen the end of a persistant problem.
No choice but to deal with it at night, it wouldn't come out during daylight, perhaos because its friends did and never came back.

A cleared area under the bird table, a spinkling of seed, spot with 8x40 s and finish the job with a 4x30 WA and a .48gm flat head.
No need for a night sight, just as long as its not cloudy.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
wid
Roach
Roach

Post by wid »

Hope you have a good night alan, terriers my chosen weapon of choice against them horrible little feckers, I've never done much shooting, but watching youtube videos is getting me interested
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

The best fun ever shooting rats was down a local beck.

Piece of ply about 18" square anchored to the beck bed with a piece of rope and chunk of concrete or bricks. A piece of bacon nailed to the ply.

Rat goes on ply, rat gets shot, rat falls off ply and floats downstream, his mate goes on board, I think you get the picture.

The circle of life :roll:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Bob Watson wrote: Sun Jan 12 2020 20:56 -
The best fun ever shooting rats was down a local beck.

Piece of ply about 18" square anchored to the beck bed with a piece of rope and chunk of concrete or bricks. A piece of bacon nailed to the ply.

Rat goes on ply, rat gets shot, rat falls off ply and floats downstream, his mate goes on board, I think you get the picture.

The circle of life :roll:
good idea that :thumbs:
you have to use bait they cant grab and run with, I used cooked hemp. A big handful spread over a step in the bank would last all night, they wont grab and run with one grain of hemp so sit chewing ---for a short while :wink: