More floats

Whatever you create or fettle in your respective Man Cave you can discuss here
Forum rules
This section of the forum is for sensible people to discuss ideas and display things they've designed, created or fixed, it is not for people to talk about filth, religion or politics!
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

More floats

Post by John Milford »

Ive been doing a bit more float fettling, while this dreary wet weather has delayed my usual early spring start to my 'non pike' season.

4AAA Trent Trotters (they might also get used for shallow margin fishing for carp)
IMG_20240410_144802_106~2.jpg
Balsa on cane Antenna, Ducker and Trotter.
IMG_20240414_133759_286~2.jpg
Experimental colours, Ducker, Perch Bob and Avon
IMG_20240418_124605_694~3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: More floats

Post by John Milford »

Some mini floater controllers, for when the sun finally decides to appear.

The built-in 4g weights are brass screws, with their heads and pointed tips cut off.

IMG_20240422_114557_574~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

John Milford wrote: Wed Apr 24 2024 15:04 -
Some mini floater controllers, for when the sun finally decides to appear.

The built-in 4g weights are brass screws, with their heads and pointed tips cut off.

IMG_20240422_114557_574~2.jpg
Vintage swivels?
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

davelumb wrote: Wed Apr 24 2024 15:12 -

Vintage swivels?
Not only vintage swivels, but brass swivels to match the weights! :laughs:
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Very nice, John :thumbs:

I haven't done many floats, but I'm currently doing a cedar bolt controller for surface carp fishing. It's going to be along the lines of a GT popper lure in shape and should hook up very effectively I hope :grin:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

John Milford wrote: Wed Apr 24 2024 16:00 -

Vintage swivels?
Tackle tart! :laughs:
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Steve Dennington wrote: Wed Apr 24 2024 16:21 -
Very nice, John :thumbs:

I haven't done many floats, but I'm currently doing a cedar bolt controller for surface carp fishing. It's going to be along the lines of a GT popper lure in shape and should hook up very effectively I hope :grin:
Sounds interesting Steve, let's see it when it's finished! :thumbs:

I've got a cone-shaped bombarda with a cupped end for floater fishing 'bolt' style, but I've yet to use it.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

davelumb wrote: Wed Apr 24 2024 17:29 -

Vintage swivels?
Unashamedly! :grin:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

John Milford wrote: Wed Apr 24 2024 17:57 -
davelumb wrote: Wed Apr 24 2024 17:29 -

Vintage swivels?
Unashamedly! :grin:
:giggle:
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

Very nice :thumbs: particularly like those mini controllers. Look ideal for a small local carp fishery where they seem to spook off of larger floats.

Jack
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Jack H wrote: Thu Apr 25 2024 17:33 -
Very nice :thumbs: particularly like those mini controllers. Look ideal for a small local carp fishery where they seem to spook off of larger floats.

Jack
That's exactly where I'll be using them Jack! :thumbs:
whitey79
Perch
Perch

Post by whitey79 »

Well done I do like a fine hand made float devils in the detail the work involved to make a well turned float is not easy
I am the real Lee white last time I looked
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Fine work there John.

I did a job yesterday out in the wilds of Norfolk on a small holding where the customer has, among other things, peacocks. I brought a quill home with me. Am I imagining it, or, along with porcupine and crow quills, were peacocks feathers used for floats back in the day?
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
JoeNickel
Chub
Chub

Post by JoeNickel »

Cracking job, John.

I've made a few, but they invariably look like I've finished them in the dark while wearing wicket-keeping gloves.
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Post by martin(rockape) »

JoeNickel wrote: Sat Apr 27 2024 13:37 -
Cracking job, John.

I've made a few, but they invariably look like I've finished them in the dark while wearing wicket-keeping gloves.
You ought to see mine, I wear boxing gloves.......the floats work though.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Chris Hammond wrote: Sat Apr 27 2024 12:13 -
Fine work there John.

I did a job yesterday out in the wilds of Norfolk on a small holding where the customer has, among other things, peacocks. I brought a quill home with me. Am I imagining it, or, along with porcupine and crow quills, were peacocks feathers used for floats back in the day?
Peacock tail quills make excellent floats Chris! (Happy birthday, by the way!).

They need a really sharp blade to cut them to length without splitting, but are worth the effort.

The few I've made only have their tips painted as they are naturally waterproof. You can paint the bodies too, but it tends to flake off if not well keyed and primed (hence me not bothering! :laughs: ).
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Fine work there John.

Peacock wagglers were a big thing in the 1970s IIRC. Pretty sure the hollow plastic wagglers were modelled after them for greater consistency of manufacture.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

John Milford wrote: Tue Apr 30 2024 17:08 -
Fine work there John.

Peacock tail quills make excellent floats Chris! (Happy birthday, by the way!).

They need a really sharp blade to cut them to length without splitting, but are worth the effort.

The few I've made only have their tips painted as they are naturally waterproof. You can paint the bodies too, but it tends to flake off if not well keyed and primed (hence me not bothering! :laughs: ).
I don’t know if it’s typical, but it’s not much thicker than the fattest crow quills. I can get several more if I care to hop in with my mate’s two emus. He says they will peck you non stop, but that it’s not too painful, but they’re an evil looking pair of beggars.😀
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

davelumb wrote: Tue Apr 30 2024 17:20 -
Fine work there John.

Peacock wagglers were a big thing in the 1970s IIRC. Pretty sure the hollow plastic wagglers were modelled after them for greater consistency of manufacture.
It seems quite slender. The peacock is pure white, (which is a first for me) but he’s the same size as a regular peacock, including the tail display.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Chris Hammond wrote: Tue Apr 30 2024 19:25 -
davelumb wrote: Tue Apr 30 2024 17:20 -
Fine work there John.

It seems quite slender. The peacock is pure white, (which is a first for me) but he’s the same size as a regular peacock, including the tail display.
They do vary in size. I can remember stripped peacock quills being sold in tackle shops, along with porcupine quills, sarkandas reed, float canes and cork bodies.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

davelumb wrote: Tue Apr 30 2024 19:36 -
I can remember stripped peacock quills being sold in tackle shops, along with porcupine quills, sarkandas reed, float canes and cork bodies.
. . . . and you could buy a whole fistful for tuppence ha'penny! :madmick:
Last edited by John Milford on Tue Apr 30 2024 20:35, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

They do vary in size. I can remember stripped peacock quills being sold in tackle shops, along with porcupine quills, sarkandas reed, float canes and cork bodies.
In the 80s, most tackle shops had float making bits and pieces (balsa bodies, reed stems etc.) but I suppose people can't be arsed these days.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Steve Dennington wrote: Tue Apr 30 2024 20:34 -
In the 80s, most tackle shops had float making bits and pieces (balsa bodies, reed stems etc.) but I suppose people can't be arsed these days.
They sold rod fittings and blanks too. Same story, lots of cheap tackle readily available for those on a limited budget.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

I think these days people are more inclined to make floats purely for their own satisfaction, rather than through thrift. Almost everything needed can still be found online.

Although I've got (literally) hundreds and don't need any more, I really do enjoy making and using my own these days (or hand crafted beauties like Mark Houghton's pike floats).

In fact, I can feel an ebay purge coming on, as I reckon I'd not miss 90% of the 'shop bought' floats I've got!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

I used to make floats for fun TBH. Most never got used. One I made was an elder pith bodied Avon that I painted up in cammo. Looked great. Never got wet!

One I did use a lot was a design that wasn't available in the shops that I saw in an article. A weighted peacock waggler. Lots of plastic versions around now since the commercials appeared.

Take one whole peacock tail feather and carefully remove the thick hollow bit. Clean the inside of this out and whip an eye to the closed end. Cut a length of the pithy part so it will slide into the hollow part. Now put dust shot into the hollow part to give casting weight, then glue the pithy bit in. When dry test in water and trim until a little of the float sits above the surface when a shot or two is added to the line. Paint and the job's done. This was my number one summer canal float for catching roach and rudd up in the water with just one number eight near the hook. I could cast it tight to the stick-ups on the far side where they often hung out.

After 30 or more years it got damaged, let in water and rotted. :cry:
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Some very simple short peacock wagglers.

The eyes are stainless wire, Gorilla-glued into the pith. The eye is just pushed in to tap a hole, then removed and dampened which causes the glue to foam. It is then tamped down before it sets hard, creating a waterproof dome around the eye.

IMG_20240502_104340_712~2.jpg
pikin
Perch
Perch

Post by pikin »

As a kid my mates Dad was a good club Match Angler locally.

He used to set us up on the living room table with a pack of drinking straws, shot and polystyrene. We made him tons of floats that were mostly self cockers for Canal fishing and the local river. We painted the tops with Nail varnish.

He also showed us how to make ready made end rigs with some fancy hook tying gizmo and we populated boxes of empty After Eight mint wrappers with our inspected rigs.

He taught me how to Catch Roach upto 1lb locally when all my mates were catching Gudgeon and Stickle backs I was chuffed to bits with my efforts.
Paul Ikin
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

pikin wrote: Thu May 02 2024 12:35 -
As a kid my mates Dad was a good club Match Angler locally.

He used to set us up on the living room table with a pack of drinking straws, shot and polystyrene. We made him tons of floats that were mostly self cockers for Canal fishing and the local river. We painted the tops with Nail varnish.

He also showed us how to make ready made end rigs with some fancy hook tying gizmo and we populated boxes of empty After Eight mint wrappers with our inspected rigs.

He taught me how to Catch Roach upto 1lb locally when all my mates were catching Gudgeon and Stickle backs I was chuffed to bits with my efforts.
Oh for those simple old days. :madmick: