Pine Marten

For the Twitchers amongst us
Mick Cobb
Chub
Chub

Pine Marten

Post by Mick Cobb »

Seen in Yorkshire recently first one in 35yrs so it said, not sure how to link it. :smile:
Always quietly confident.
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Pine Marten

Post by dannytaylor »

Seen it on the news mick. Gorgeous creatures, them greys better watch out :cool:
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

Gorgeous as long as they're not under your roof. We have both the pine marten and house marten over here. They are both common and hard to tell apart - slightly different in pelt colour and the house marten has a lighter coloured nose, usually a bit more well built too. However, they both like to get under your roof and destroy all the insulation and their urine stinks - especially when it's coming through the ceiling. They drag in carrion too. They cleaned out the swallows nesting under my carport, and very few birds nesting in the garden ever rear their brood. We don't have a rat problem though - so they have their uses. You are allowed to shoot the house martens from September through to January, but not the pine martens.
owen k
Chub
Chub

Post by owen k »

Had big problems with them a few years ago alright.They're nice looking but they really do stink!
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

owen k wrote: Thu Aug 10 2017 21:23 -
Had big problems with them a few years ago alright.They're nice looking but they really do stink!
It's nice to see a few of the Pine Martens around again Owen, they were very scarce for a long time and at one stage could only be found around the Burren. I've seen a few around here in recent years. Animal populations seem to ebb and flow. I hadn't seen a stoat for the best part of 20 years but see them occasionally too now over the last few years, this seems to be coinciding with a noticeable drop back in numbers of mink (around here anyway).
Marcraft are for queers.
owen k
Chub
Chub

Post by owen k »

I do love seeing them but you don't want them in your attic! They're supposed to be driving out the grey squirrels as well but I don't know if there's much truth in that.