Zander madness

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Zander madness

Post by Mark Phillips »

Here we go again, a few days ago at Rutland. Predominantly Polish anglers along with the usual suspects... heat wave... AW cashing in. Madness is certainly the right word for it.

Piking Plonker
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Re: Zander madness

Post by Fentiger01 »

I love the Zander fishing but that ain't for me mate. Dragging them up from the depths in these temps whilst surrounded by tons of other boats, I'd rather not bother thanks.
Last edited by Fentiger01 on Wed Sep 06 2023 20:35, edited 1 time in total.
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

😳😳😳
Cyprio
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Cyprio »

They’ll say “but it WAS a Night Match” :stir:

:exit:
Andy Carpenter
Andytheammer
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Andytheammer »

WTF!!! :shrug:
Andy Sewell
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

It will look like that on a certain Broadland slip in October first🤣
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Neville Fickling »

Rutland hasn’t been fishing very well so I doubt if any harm was done. At night you don’t have to fish deep for the zander either. You can catch them pelagic style.
Happy to be alive!!!!
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

Rumours are that a few big pike were out………..
That Perkins !!! 😂
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Carlperkins wrote: Thu Sep 07 2023 21:13 -
Rumours are that a few big pike were out………..
Depends on your definition of 'big' and 'few' :roll: Full catch results and inflated egos are plastered all over Facebook.

Another competition being held this Saturday. Only 31c forecast, sure it'll be just fine and they all have a lovely day out :cool:
Piking Plonker
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Mark Phillips wrote: Thu Sep 07 2023 23:40 -

Another competition being held this Saturday. Only 31c forecast, sure it'll be just fine and they all have a lovely day out :cool:
Serious question. Given the very sudden hike in temperature after a very cool summer, will it have much effect on a water that's 3600 acres in size and over 100ft deep?
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

It will now be as warm as it was opening week last year 19c . Can’t say what temps will be like at 30 feet. Very little wind so Ltd mixing. Could be cooler down deep
Happy to be alive!!!!
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Absolute joke
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Bottom line... they don’t give a f**k I’m afraid
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲💲
That Perkins !!! 😂
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

AW doesn't want the predators but simply cant get rid of them and so earn good money allowing anglers to fish for them and hopefully cull a few at the same time.
In my experience of snorkelling the thermocline can be rather close to the surface and as Nev just wrote there is very little wind at the moment so mixing should be minimal.
I think Zander are more suited to warm conditions than pike but catching one on light gear (which a lot of these guys do) from deep cool water only to release it in warm shallow water isnt the best way to treat your quarry.

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

There’s all sorts of pros and cons at the moment. The thing to watch out for is if any Anglian Water goes down the pan . If none do then the warm water haters will be wrong. If they are right oh bugger!!!!
Happy to be alive!!!!
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Fri Sep 08 2023 07:45 -
AW doesn't want the predators but simply cant get rid of them and so earn good money allowing anglers to fish for them and hopefully cull a few at the same time.
In my experience of snorkelling the thermocline can be rather close to the surface and as Nev just wrote there is very little wind at the moment so mixing should be minimal.
I think Zander are more suited to warm conditions than pike but catching one on light gear (which a lot of these guys do) from deep cool water only to release it in warm shallow water isnt the best way to treat your quarry.

Cheers, Alan
Of course AW want the predators, what on earth are you on about. Not with standing they do actually understand the importance of their presence, but they also make good money from the predator fishing, after all, they don't have to re-stock them like the trout and certainly don't want to see them culled. AW actively promote the predator fishing, something a lot of us wish they didn't, but hey... thankfully there's still plenty of us who keep stum.

As to catching zander in warm water - they fight harder in warm water and they die, just like the pike. Sadly I know that from my early days of zander fishing, when we'd fish the fens on the summer nights and be propping fish up with bank sticks to hopefully help them recover. I stopped doing that pretty quickly. A handful of anglers fishing through this heat wave is expected, you'll always get that - but allowing competitions with 72 anglers... all they had to do was postpone. It's the same bunch of guys who fish all these competitions, most of them Polish and the wannabe brigade, and we all know how much some of them care about fish welfare over holding up a trophy on Facebook to lap up the glory :laughs:
Piking Plonker
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

The LAS have a comp on there this Sunday I wonder if any LAS members who post on here are fishing the event? 32 and 30 predicted temps this coming weekend in the SE of the country.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Mark Phillips wrote: Fri Sep 08 2023 19:12 -

Cheers, Alan
Of course AW want the predators, what on earth are you on about. Not with standing they do actually understand the importance of their presence, but they also make good money from the predator fishing, after all, they don't have to re-stock them like the trout and certainly don't want to see them culled. AW actively promote the predator fishing, something a lot of us wish they didn't, but hey... thankfully there's still plenty of us who keep stum.

As to catching zander in warm water - they fight harder in warm water and they die, just like the pike. Sadly I know that from my early days of zander fishing, when we'd fish the fens on the summer nights and be propping fish up with bank sticks to hopefully help them recover. I stopped doing that pretty quickly. A handful of anglers fishing through this heat wave is expected, you'll always get that - but allowing competitions with 72 anglers... all they had to do was postpone. It's the same bunch of guys who fish all these competitions, most of them Polish and the wannabe brigade, and we all know how much some of them care about fish welfare over holding up a trophy on Facebook to lap up the glory :laughs:
Mark, AW actively removed predators for years, they couldn't eradicate them and so have simple cashed in on what they cant get rid of. They never cared of about the importance having predators, just the troot.
I think the main reason zander are delicate in warm weather is that they actively use lactic acid to contol their buoyancy, the excess lactic acid produced in the fight causes them to loose control of their buoyancy and its the subsequent stress that kills them.

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

Fentiger01 wrote: Wed Sep 06 2023 20:33 -
I love the Zander fishing but that ain't for me mate. Dragging them up from the depths in these temps whilst surrounded by tons of other boats, I'd rather not bother thanks.
not for me neither, all bit bass fishing style isn't it?

I'd rather fish a wild river or somewhere else, big ressy and tons of boats don't do it for me
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

Monts wrote: Fri Sep 08 2023 19:51 -
The LAS have a comp on there this Sunday I wonder if any LAS members who post on here are fishing the event? 32 and 30 predicted temps this coming weekend in the SE of the country.
I was booked up to go, Zander don't interest me so it was going to be Pike. As the weather is so hot and I'm still way behind with work i will be hay making.
It's a sod when something is booked way in advance and it turns out like it has.
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Sat Sep 09 2023 08:28 -

Cheers, Alan

Mark, AW actively removed predators for years, they couldn't eradicate them and so have simple cashed in on what they cant get rid of. They never cared of about the importance having predators, just the troot.
I think the main reason zander are delicate in warm weather is that they actively use lactic acid to contol their buoyancy, the excess lactic acid produced in the fight causes them to loose control of their buoyancy and its the subsequent stress that kills them.

Cheers, Alan
Use lactic acid to control their buoyancy where did that come from?
Happy to be alive!!!!
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Cheers, Alan

Cheers, Alan
Cheers Alan, but yes I know that - I actually caught some Grafham pike from a Cambs gravel pit, they lost weight rather quickly as well... but you're talking about 30 or more years ago - attitudes have long since changed, due to a lot of hard work by certain individuals and yeah, OK, more by luck than judgement they're now a good source of income - especially now the Polish and their bum buddies have been having these competitions. As far as having predators in their resis... I worked for AW and met a few of the fishery managers in my time there, trust me, they get it.

On your second point, you've lost me there. Pretty sure swim bladders don't work like that. I'm sure someone on here knows their onions on that score.

Oh and for anyone who's had a cheeky look at the groups Facebook page and managed not to throw up after reading all the baloney, fish are still being laid across the boards to measure them :mad: I suppose rule breaking is a lot easier at night :neutral:
Piking Plonker
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Neville Fickling wrote: Sat Sep 09 2023 20:55 -

Cheers, Alan

Cheers, Alan
Use lactic acid to control their buoyancy where did that come from?
I will try to find something on the net a bit later but a lactic acid secretion from the swim bladder into the blood acidifies the blood and causes the gasses to be less soluble. Not sure all species can do this, possibly just the more derived ones like the perch family and ones that live at depth that have closed swim bladders unlike pike, carp etc.

Cheers, Alan
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Zander and other fish without a duct to the swim bladder have a gas gland that enables the amount of gas to be varied.
Happy to be alive!!!!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mark Phillips wrote: Sun Sep 10 2023 00:10 -

Cheers, Alan

Cheers, Alan
Cheers Alan, but yes I know that - I actually caught some Grafham pike from a Cambs gravel pit, they lost weight rather quickly as well... but you're talking about 30 or more years ago - attitudes have long since changed, due to a lot of hard work by certain individuals and yeah, OK, more by luck than judgement they're now a good source of income - especially now the Polish and their bum buddies have been having these competitions. As far as having predators in their resis... I worked for AW and met a few of the fishery managers in my time there, trust me, they get it.

On your second point, you've lost me there. Pretty sure swim bladders don't work like that. I'm sure someone on here knows their onions on that score.

Oh and for anyone who's had a cheeky look at the groups Facebook page and managed not to throw up after reading all the baloney, fish are still being laid across the boards to measure them :mad: I suppose rule breaking is a lot easier at night :neutral:
I had a look at the Zander Madness FB page and was surprised how many non-Polish anglers indulge in this kind of fishing. :eek:

Also surprised at AW letting people fish at night. When I fished Rutland we were never allowed to see the sun set on the water. :laughs:
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Neville Fickling wrote: Sun Sep 10 2023 08:22 -
Zander and other fish without a duct to the swim bladder have a gas gland that enables the amount of gas to be varied.
:thumbs:

Cheers, Alan
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Mark Phillips wrote: Sun Sep 10 2023 00:10 -

Cheers, Alan

Cheers, Alan

I suppose my opinion on AW is a bit outdated, Mark but what is still true is that they put money over the welfare of predatory fishes.

Re the swim or gas bladders, I am quite sure thats how they work on many species including zander. What it enables them to do is not having a reliance on returning to the surface and also gives some of them like the freshwater eel, the ability to create very high pressures within the bladder for deep waters.

Cheers, Alan
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Zander have physoclistous swim bladder ie no duct to gut. Instead a gas gland. It’s dead easyto get things wrong. I’ve just done an on line learning course on ecology. Now I should be very familiar with all this yet I got two out of the ten questions at the end wrong. Very frustrating.
Happy to be alive!!!!
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

Neville Fickling wrote: Sun Sep 10 2023 15:02 -
Now I should be very familiar with all this yet I got two out of the ten questions at the end wrong. Very frustrating.
You'll still always be the 'Master' Nev. :thumbs: :thumbs: :cool:
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!