Hello, complete novic from south wales

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here
td66
Stickleback
Stickleback

Hello, complete novic from south wales

Post by td66 »

Hi, I joined on a recommendation, catching a pike is on my bucket list (not that I am going anywhere soon that I know of but what's the point of a bucket list if you are ill?) Anyway, I need help, in more ways than one, because I want to catch pike, my learning curve begins here.they say to learn from the wise ones, so I cast myself upon yee good souls for advice, lessons, hand holding and if I manage to catch one of those toothy things showing me how to safely return it to whence it came. Practicalities, I live in pontypridd, which is near Cardiff for those who don't know. I am self employed and work all over the UK. Often 200 miles away from the day before. I can take days off with about 3 months notice (when you are self employed that's good) and can do evevenings if I am in your part of the world. Fishing wise I am not a novice, been fishing for over 40 years, mainly sea but learning fly, caught on lures in lanzarote (cuda and bonito) and after a bass on a lure this summer. So, anybody fancy the challenge of turning this greenhorn into a prolific piker? I hope so and sit with a nice glass of red wine waiting for the replied to roll into my in box. Cheers. Tim
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Re: Hello, complete novic from south wales

Post by Andrew »

Hi Tim, welcome to the pit.

here is an article by my old (no longer with us) pal Andy Macfarlane.
I'll assume you are right-handed, in which case I'll describe unhooking as I go about it. You'll find most Pikers carry this out whilst in a kneeling position.

Lay the fish on its left flank, head pointing towards your right hand. You may want to straddle the fish. I use my left shin to prevent the fish from flipping. I don't apply any weight on the fish; I just don't give it any room to move.

With your left hand, carefully lift the gill flap a little. Have a look under the flap to see the arrangement. You'll see three sets of rakers. Make sure your fingers haven't picked up any of these and slide one finger along the gill cover, towards the chin. When you get to the chin, you'll find your finger fits nicely into an area of soft skin with no teeth, no rakers and no obstructions.

Lift the head and you should find its mouth will stay wide open without force. You should now have the whole mouth cavity to work with unhindered. You should have a pair of 12" forceps and a pair of wire snips at hand, nothing less. The wire cutters are for fiddly hook-ups. Sometimes it is easier to break the hooks up for quick removal. Never use the snips for cutting the wire, that's a potential death sentence. As long as you have all your unhooking tools at hand, you should find the whole unhooking operation takes less than a minute.

If you are struggling, don't panic. Take the fish in the net back to the water for a good breather. Give the fish and yourself a minute to calm down before carrying out any other procedures. Allow the fish a minute in the water for every minute you have it from the water.

Don't be scared to ask a more experienced Piker for a hand. They should gladly oblige and if asked, will show you how to cope with difficult hook-ups.

Pikers love being asked for advice....it makes them feel important and necessary. Once the fish has been cleared of all oral metalwork, lift the fish with both hands and carry it back to the water.
Once in the water, use your left hand to support the head and use your right hand to hold the tail root. Don't grip the tail; just form a circle with your thumb and finger which prevents the fish from going anywhere. Pike sometimes try to pull away immediately even though they are exhausted. Just keep a slight hold on the fish until you are sure it has fully recovered.

Make sure the gill flaps are working and the fish can hold itself upright. When it's definitely ready to go, you will know. Release your hold and the fish should pull away immediately. Just keep an eye on the fish until it has gone. If it's a really happy soldier you'll get a free drink when it kicks its tail.
You cant go for wrong with that approach and there is also another great video on these forums if you are finding it hard visualising the above.

unhooking pike by Marshman: viewtopic.php?f=86&t=21452

aside from the unhooking there are also other things that really need to be taken into consideration such as safe rigs and a fair bit of basic knowledge.

I wrote a bit here ( http://tacklesack.co.uk/item/9-essential-pike-tools ) about essential tools, something that should be sorted before even attempting to fish for them. note the bit about nets, for a novice it might be a better idea to use one, peoples views on that differ a great deal and im now expecting a bit of flak over it :red:

and as always if you can find an experienced piker it would be a great advantage if they can show you the ropes.
td66
Stickleback
Stickleback

Re: Hello, complete novic from south wales

Post by td66 »

Thanks for your reply, bed time reading time.