Hi from Canada

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here
princerobin
Stickleback
Stickleback

Hi from Canada

Post by princerobin »

Greetings all,

I'm coming here from Kingston Ontario, came across this forum looking at vintage tackle pics. I'm pretty interested in how you guys fish for pike, especially deadbait tactics.

Around here lure fishing is king and the only time I see deadbaits used a lot is ice fishing.

I've done a fair bit of carping, and fly fishing is a big hobby for me. I've got quite an interest in vintage tackle and methods.

Thanks for the add,

Robin Prince
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Hi from Canada

Post by Happy Hayes »

Hi Robin
And welcome to the pit
Your definitely at the right place when it comes to anything associated with Pike.
Enjoy
Regards
Tom
princerobin
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by princerobin »

Thank you Tom.
princerobin
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by princerobin »

I guess some other stuff about me,

I've had some of my best fishing on my homemade jerkbaits, they're not commonly for sale around here so I've made some up for myself.

I've got out and tried deadbaiting. I've caught a couple decent fish on legered baits, but there are a lot of nuisance fish here and they pick them apart pretty fast. Another big problem is snapping turtles. These are no fun to catch at all! I'm thinking something more along the lines of wobbled baits might do better.

Best deadbait I've found are creek chub about 6" long. They're really tough and stay on the hook well. I catch them fly fishing, witch is also great fun. In winter (ice fishing) I use sardines from the grocery store or live fathead minnows.

Cheers,
Robin