Reel for heavy swim bait

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Rammer223
Roach
Roach

Reel for heavy swim bait

Post by Rammer223 »

Recommend me a casting reel for dedicated swimbait set set up and reasoning why shads up to 170gr don’t mind dropping some cash for right reel buy once cry once
Thanks in advance lee
fenland piker
Roach
Roach

Re: Reel for heavy swim bait

Post by fenland piker »

Okuma Komodo or Citrix in the 365 size. Very robust reels
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

"don’t mind dropping some cash for right reel buy once cry once"

Shimano Calcutta Conquest 301 or 401 then. The best of the best :thumbs:
Rammer223
Roach
Roach

Post by Rammer223 »

Oh thems the round ones not got round one
Rammer223
Roach
Roach

Post by Rammer223 »

Quick look finding one could be an issue lol
Rammer223
Roach
Roach

Post by Rammer223 »

Shimano Calcutta Conquest MD 301XGLH

This the beast
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Would Perky’s Tranx 401 be fit for the job?

https://the-pikers-pit.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=51189

After all the hype they got on here last couple of years. And Carl’s a good bloke to deal with :thumbs:
Andy Carpenter
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Rammer223 wrote: Wed Apr 17 2024 16:23 -
Quick look finding one could be an issue lol
Availability does seem poor. I got mine from Japan Tackle back in 2007, but they have very little stock of Conquests. My big Conquests are the 401s, which they've made a bit less bulky and more easily palmed with today's models. Fantastic reels though and still going strong after nearly 14 years and chucking some very large lures.
Rammer223
Roach
Roach

Post by Rammer223 »

I already have tranx301 on my jerkbait setup like to try something different
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

Rammer223 wrote: Wed Apr 17 2024 16:36 -
Shimano Calcutta Conquest MD 301XGLH

This the beast
That one is this year's model and imo is far too fast a retrieve for swimbaits buddy.
2018 model is virtually the same but much slower retrieve.
20221113_144633.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rammer223
Roach
Roach

Post by Rammer223 »

Ok nice collection suspect getting older model would be equally as challenging as new one see how we go,could put on Jerk bait set up and move big Bft onto swim bait as don’t do a lot swim bait just don’t like swapping reels and setting up just like grab and go decisions decisions
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Steve Dennington wrote: Wed Apr 17 2024 14:28 -

I wouldn't call them that at all. I had a couple of 301's, but didn't gel with them, so sold them - for a profit thankfully. Round baitcasting reels I only like for trolling thse days, I find casting I have much more control and balance with a low profile baitcaster.

Tranx 301HG. If you don't like the power handle you can easily get a double handle for them. IMO the best reel for big swimbaits, not too big, not too small and does everything you need it to. If your budget doesn't stretch, the Curado 310HG is almost exactly the same reel and comes with a double handle as standard.
Piking Plonker
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Mark Phillips wrote: Fri Apr 19 2024 18:52 -

I wouldn't call them that at all. I had a couple of 301's, but didn't gel with them, so sold them - for a profit thankfully. Round baitcasting reels I only like for trolling thse days, I find casting I have much more control and balance with a low profile baitcaster.

Tranx 301HG. If you don't like the power handle you can easily get a double handle for them. IMO the best reel for big swimbaits, not too big, not too small and does everything you need it to. If your budget doesn't stretch, the Curado 310HG is almost exactly the same reel and comes with a double handle as standard.
Personal preference, Mark. I've tried low profile reels and hate the squashed feel of them. I like a fistful of metal that feels like a proper reel :thumbs:
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Steve Dennington wrote: Fri Apr 19 2024 19:02 -
Mark Phillips wrote: Fri Apr 19 2024 18:52 -

Personal preference, Mark. I've tried low profile reels and hate the squashed feel of them. I like a fistful of metal that feels like a proper reel :thumbs:
That's where we differ mate. I'm not a fan of them anymore. Larger low profile bait casters are so much better. Reminds me of a C3, but not in a good way. They look a bit naff as well. But if you're happy, good for you.
Piking Plonker
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Mark Phillips wrote: Fri Apr 19 2024 19:07 -
That's where we differ mate. I'm not a fan of them anymore. Larger low profile bait casters are so much better. Reminds me of a C3, but not in a good way. They look a bit naff as well. But if you're happy, good for you.
I showed my brother (not an angler) my shiny new Conquests shortly after I bought them. His response was "bit chavvy aren't they?" :laughs:

They may be a little gaudy in appearance, depending on your perspective, but I've got them in 51, 201, and 401 sizes and they're the best reels I've used by a country mile, Definitely not comparable to a C3 in any way shape or form! :eek:
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Steve Dennington wrote: Fri Apr 19 2024 19:24 -
I showed my brother (not an angler) my shiny new Conquests shortly after I bought them. His response was "bit chavvy aren't they?" :laughs:

They may be a little gaudy in appearance, depending on your perspective, but I've got them in 51, 201, and 401 sizes and they're the best reels I've used by a country mile, Definitely not comparable to a C3 in any way shape or form! :eek:
I'll take a Tranx or even a Curado any day of the week over them. Too bulky and to my mind, old fashioned. There's a reason hardly anyone uses round profile baitcasting reels these days. I only use them for trolling, where they can sit in holders and have a kip, 301 Cardiffs, cheap and cheerful, do the job - wind the lure or fish in, don't really cast with them at all.
Piking Plonker
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

Mark Phillips wrote: Fri Apr 19 2024 19:34 -
Steve Dennington wrote: Fri Apr 19 2024 19:24 -

I'll take a Tranx or even a Curado any day of the week over them. Too bulky and to my mind, old fashioned. There's a reason hardly anyone uses round profile baitcasting reels these days. I only use them for trolling, where they can sit in holders and have a kip, 301 Cardiffs, cheap and cheerful, do the job - wind the lure or fish in, don't really cast with them at all.
Bulky ??? You got little girly hands :laughs:
Nothing even comes close to a calcutta conquest imo, also the gearbox side sits really low on the reel seat.
I've owned just about every baitcaster and round reels from shimano and abu and nothing comes close in build quality and user ability :thumbs:
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

I'm glad it's not just me in the Conquest fan club, Tony! :thumbs:
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

Steve Dennington wrote: Fri Apr 19 2024 22:06 -
He really does spout some utter jobbies at times for someone so knowledgeable :grin:
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

Still using Swedish Abu 6501 C3s and still love them. Simple, do the job. Win no second glances - suits me fine.
Chico 48 PAC
Chub
Chub

Post by Chico 48 PAC »

Must say I stick to my ABu UC6501C's and have no problem at all or 7001's both with power handles. I suppose I under chuck up to around 11oz with them but they never miss a beat or feel undergunned.
JOIN THE PAC- http://www.pacgb.co.uk/join.html
www.chicoslures.co.uk - if you use FC for pike then do not use me.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Tony McTaggart wrote: Fri Apr 19 2024 22:43 -
He really does spout some utter jobbies at times for someone so knowledgeable :grin:
Coming from you, that's really a good one, thanks very much :handshake: Always amuses me how some people so quickly revert to personal insults on here when someone has a differing opinion from them. At least Steve can have the crack with people without doing that, respect to him.

At the end of the day, opinions vary. Many, me included, prefer low profile baitcasters. Just like everyone else, I used C3s for donkey's years and was very happy with them, that's until Shimano and Daiwa started to offer us larger low profile baitcasters. After using those, I'll never go back to a round reel for casting. Over time I sold all of my C3s (and a few Calcuttas) as I upgraded to the newer reels. As I said before, I briefly owned a couple of 301a conquests and found them too bulky for my tastes, good reels I concur, but simply not for me. The only round bait casters I still have are Cardiffs and I only use those for trolling; that's because they sit better in the rod holders. When ever I cast with one, just to get a lure beind the boat, it just doesn't feel right. Each to their own.
Piking Plonker
Catch 22
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Catch 22 »

I cast using both round and low profile reels. I've got a 401 Conquest and love it. Equally, I have a Daiwa Tatula 200 and that is a great reel too. Also have the 300 but the 200 is more comfortable to use.

I've used various round Abu reels - I actually find the 6000 size more comfortable than the 5000. With a round reel, I like something to wrap my palm around and for some reason the 6000s just suit me better (but weirdly I like smaller low-profile reels).

I tried a Tranx in Canada when I was after musky - didn't really like it, though they are definitely

I think reels are so good these days that it basically comes down to ergonomics - just find the one that suits the particular rid you are using and the way you like to hold the rod/reel and go with that. Abu, Shimano, Daiwa and Okuma all make good baitcasting reels.
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

The 6000's might be prehistoric but the vitals are spot on and that's what matters, just find those in a reel style that suits you whether that's a low profile or the classic round.
Wide spool gives a more consistent cadence to your baits, line retrieve per handle turn doesn't differ vastly at the start of the retrieve compared to the end of your retrieve and it'll be especially worse if you opt for a tiny 300 size reel. For those that have casted with a 7000 you baits won't even notice the start or the end of the retrieve.
Non disengaging level wind is better - don't forget reels like the Tranx with their disengaging level winds were designed for salt water jigging and the like with fish taking off at 100mph a level wind can jam up. Luckily we don't need a feature that is in place that will be a detriment in other areas of use.
Your drag when needed will pull smoother too with a non disengaging level wind as the line won't be moving at extreme angles, compounded if you go for a 400 size reel with disengaging level wind.
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

Mark Phillips wrote: Sun Apr 21 2024 15:30 -
Tony McTaggart wrote: Fri Apr 19 2024 22:43 -
Coming from you, that's really a good one, thanks very much :handshake: Always amuses me how some people so quickly revert to personal insults on here when someone has a differing opinion from them. At least Steve can have the crack with people without doing that, respect to him.

At the end of the day, opinions vary. Many, me included, prefer low profile baitcasters. Just like everyone else, I used C3s for donkey's years and was very happy with them, that's until Shimano and Daiwa started to offer us larger low profile baitcasters. After using those, I'll never go back to a round reel for casting. Over time I sold all of my C3s (and a few Calcuttas) as I upgraded to the newer reels. As I said before, I briefly owned a couple of 301a conquests and found them too bulky for my tastes, good reels I concur, but simply not for me. The only round bait casters I still have are Cardiffs and I only use those for trolling; that's because they sit better in the rod holders. When ever I cast with one, just to get a lure beind the boat, it just doesn't feel right. Each to their own.
Oh stop it :laughs: It was a joke notice the smiley faces ??? :laughs:
Your opinions are always welcome, now go put a fresh tampon in ffs :thumbs: