Rod for topwaters - Jackpot, Hawg Wobbler, et al?

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Gary Coggon
Roach
Roach

Rod for topwaters - Jackpot, Hawg Wobbler, et al?

Post by Gary Coggon »

Grateful for recommendations of a rod to dedicate to throwing topwaters, which, for 90% of the time, are 6.5” Jackpot (51 g), Hawg Wobbler (50 g) and Top Raider (66 g), with the remainder being Magnum Jitterbug and Frogzilla. Reason for asking is that I noticed last night that my (permanent) rotator cuff tear is preventing me from loading my jerk-bait rod sufficiently to get the distance I’ve happily achieved in years gone by. In other words, I’m after a less strenuous cast.

Thanks for your help.
Gary Coggon
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Re: Rod for topwaters - Jackpot, Hawg Wobbler, et al?

Post by Mark Phillips »

You don't need a dedicated rod for top waters and I'd doubt you'd find one either. I wouldn't use a jerk bait rod to fish them either, most will be too stiff and too short. Choose a medium to fast action baitcaster rod based on casting weight, so between 40 and 100g is fine. A Daiwa Prorex AGS would be perfect for larger top waters, medium sized jerks and swimbaits.
Piking Plonker
Gary Coggon
Roach
Roach

Post by Gary Coggon »

Mark Phillips wrote: Wed May 08 2024 23:24 -
You don't need a dedicated rod for top waters and I'd doubt you'd find one either. I wouldn't use a jerk bait rod to fish them either, most will be too stiff and too short. Choose a medium to fast action baitcaster rod based on casting weight, so between 40 and 100g is fine. A Daiwa Prorex AGS would be perfect for larger top waters, medium sized jerks and swimbaits.
Seems I’ve managed to create a tumbleweed moment, so thanks for this, Mark. :handshake: I make that mostly right: yes, there’s no such thing as a rod labelled ‘topwater’ - this is more me taking the opportunity of a new gap in my armoury to find the perfect, sweetest tool for Jackpots et al. And, yes, most jerk-bait rods aren’t ‘it’. I’ve been lucky in that mine’s been 90% there - it’s me that’s changed, not the rod :violin:

May I take it that that Daiwa Prorex AGS is the 30-70 g model you’ve recommended a couple of times before?
Gary Coggon
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Gary Coggon wrote: Sun May 12 2024 10:13 -
Mark Phillips wrote: Wed May 08 2024 23:24 -
Seems I’ve managed to create a tumbleweed moment, so thanks for this, Mark. :handshake: I make that mostly right: yes, there’s no such thing as a rod labelled ‘topwater’ - this is more me taking the opportunity of a new gap in my armoury to find the perfect, sweetest tool for Jackpots et al. And, yes, most jerk-bait rods aren’t ‘it’. I’ve been lucky in that mine’s been 90% there - it’s me that’s changed, not the rod :violin:

May I take it that that Daiwa Prorex AGS is the 30-70 g model you’ve recommended a couple of times before?
No, that rod would be too light and just a tad too short, much more suited to small jerk or swim baits, spinner baits, etc. You'd want the 100g or even 120g if you're looking at a Daiwa Prorex AGS or similar from another brand. I tend the use the 120 most, despite the rating, it's very forgiving and can cast/work a wide range of baits. I'm sure others will be along to recommend what they use... cheers.
Piking Plonker
Andy Tighe
Perch
Perch

Post by Andy Tighe »

St Croix Legend Tournament Top n Tail is the one i can think of made for topwaters and bucktails
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

Been using a DLST Axiom 7013 for top water for years and it does the job spot on. Casts and works the lures well. Length at 7' works from boat or bank.
Gary Coggon
Roach
Roach

Post by Gary Coggon »

Nice short-list, chaps - thank you.
While we’re on… I was just going to use the C3 6501 running 65 lb Powerpro that normally resides on my DLST Sledgehammer I; however, it then struck me that it would be rude not to pair the new rod with a new reel. Wondered whether a Curado K201 or C3 5501/C4 5601 with 50 lb Powerpro might give the optimum balance - bearing in mind I’m planning only on 40 - 70 g (topwater) lures here.
Cheers
Gary Coggon
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

I use heavier/greater diameter braid with top waters to keep it from sinking. Typically I use 100lb PP on a 6501 C3 with a DLST Axiom 7013. I used to have a pair of the Sledge Hammer 1s built on the original blanks. Really regret selling them - lovely rods with a bit more give in the mid section than the Axioms.
Gary Coggon
Roach
Roach

Post by Gary Coggon »

andrew_nagel wrote: Fri May 17 2024 21:02 -
I use heavier/greater diameter braid with top waters to keep it from sinking. Typically I use 100lb PP on a 6501 C3 with a DLST Axiom 7013. I used to have a pair of the Sledge Hammer 1s built on the original blanks. Really regret selling them - lovely rods with a bit more give in the mid section than the Axioms.
Is that for Sledgehammer I vs Axioms in general across the range or for working the topwaters I’ve been on about? Thanks.
Gary Coggon
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

Gary Coggon wrote: Fri May 17 2024 21:30 -
Is that for Sledgehammer I vs Axioms in general across the range or for working the topwaters I’ve been on about? Thanks.
Just a comment about the original Sledge Hammer 1s. I used them for all types of lures. I also had a pair of the Sledge Hammer 4s for heavier lures. They were nice rods. Replaced them with 7013 and 7024 Axioms. Very happy with those too.
Gary Coggon
Roach
Roach

Post by Gary Coggon »

:thumbs:
andrew_nagel wrote: Fri May 17 2024 21:40 -
Gary Coggon wrote: Fri May 17 2024 21:30 -
Just a comment about the original Sledge Hammer 1s. I used them for all types of lures. I also had a pair of the Sledge Hammer 4s for heavier lures. They were nice rods. Replaced them with 7013 and 7024 Axioms. Very happy with those too.
Gary Coggon