Stiff leaders

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Stiff leaders

Post by John Milford »

"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Re: Stiff leaders

Post by Cyprio »

:stir: :laughs: :laughs:

Check this sellers other items that came up in your link..
Only in America. Nice way to display a lure :red:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2656325395

:laughs: :laughs:

Andy
Andy Carpenter
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

I wouldn't be inspired to use it John but, I dare say it would still catch. I was given an old lure collection a few months ago, amongst them were a few home made spoons (actual spoons) drilled and painted in a variety of colours, I intend to give them a good try this year, it would be great to be able to let the old boy know that I caught on them.

Will.
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

Cyprio wrote: Thu Jan 18 2018 19:52 -

Andy
Just had a good laugh at that myself, different girls as well if I am not mistaken, if you look at his other items.

Will.
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Will Smith wrote: Thu Jan 18 2018 19:54 -
Cyprio wrote: Thu Jan 18 2018 19:52 -

Andy
Just had a good laugh at that myself, different girls as well if I am not mistaken.

Will.
Definitely a larger cup size for the larger lure
:boing:

Andy
Andy Carpenter
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Will Smith wrote: Thu Jan 18 2018 19:52 -
I wouldn't be inspired to use it John but, I dare say it would still catch. I was given an old lure collection a few months ago, amongst them were a few home made spoons (actual spoons) drilled and painted in a variety of colours, I intend to give them a good try this year, it would be great to be able to let the old boy know that I caught on them.

Will.
I've made a few spoons out of real spoons over the years Will. Never caught on one of them though! The action seemed a bit too wild as they are far more deeply 'cupped' than the profile of commercial spoons. Adding a 'muppet' or plastic grub to the tail hook calms them down a bit and may make them more viable? Perhaps if I was more persistent I might have done better? :shrug:

I think the trick with any experimental lures is to give them a chuck when the fish are 'on'. If they don't catch in that situation, then they are probably not up to scratch. If they do? Happy days! :smile:

The other alternative is to take out only experimental/home-made lures on one session and see what happens? That kind of forces you to give them your very best shot, which is probably the fairest assessment. I've done that on the odd occasion with pleasing results.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Experimented with spoons myself. Very short lived experiment as john says "too wild"

Though i did try the handle i had cut off and it had a really nice flutter.
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

John Milford wrote: Fri Jan 19 2018 12:36 -

Will.
I've made a few spoons out of real spoons over the years Will. Never caught on one of them though! The action seemed a bit too wild as they are far more deeply 'cupped' than the profile of commercial spoons. Adding a 'muppet' or plastic grub to the tail hook calms them down a bit and may make them more viable? Perhaps if I was more persistent I might have done better? :shrug:

I think the trick with any experimental lures is to give them a chuck when the fish are 'on'. If they don't catch in that situation, then they are probably not up to scratch. If they do? Happy days! :smile:

The other alternative is to take out only experimental/home-made lures on one session and see what happens? That kind of forces you to give them your very best shot, which is probably the fairest assessment. I've done that on the odd occasion with pleasing results.
Sound advice John, its all to easy to switch to a banker or favourite lure if your not catching whilst trying out an experimental lure.

I have been guilty of exactly that in the past, but as you say, on days they are 'on' you can almost catch on anything you chuck at them.

Will.
RAB-HENDO
Zander
Zander

Post by RAB-HENDO »

Think we all done the steal yer maws spoons lure as a young piker👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
DANCES WAE PIKE
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

RAB-HENDO wrote: Fri Jan 19 2018 18:49 -
Think we all done the steal yer maws spoons lure as a young piker👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Ive started raidin her jewlery box for making perch spinners :laughs:
martin godliman
Zander
Zander

Post by martin godliman »

John Milford wrote: Fri Jan 19 2018 12:36 -

Will.

For a long while in the past I used nothing but home made lures and won competitions with them...a few, the one I won at Ardingly I used a teaspoon I think you were there John. :wink:

I preferred a nickel plated spoon a bit more a yellowish silvery colour rather than stainless I felt was too bright, a table spoon cut down the length made and elliptical shape more erratic and not so violent as the full spoon. You're right though sticking it out helps, I've definitely used unfancied lures on a good catching day when they will take anything, just to catch on them.
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.