Ned Rig

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Ned Rig

Post by Fentiger01 »

Evening All,

During cold hard, crystal-clear conditions early on Sunday I finally got round to trying out a Ned rig for the 1st time ever. I've been watching quite a bit about it on Youtube and have also been reading info from various magazine articles over the last year or two. I'd like to use it on a local venue or two, with both Perch & Zeds.

To me it looks a bit weird out of the water (of course, I ain't a fish though :laughs:) but I did take a bit of time to look at how it presented in the 3ft deep gin-clear margins. A little puff of silty mud here and there and a little wiggle, it did actually look quite good. Unfortunately I didn't catch anything during the 2hr session on Sunday but conditions were very poor, I plan to persevere with it to see if I can get it to work. The word I've read is that you can't work it slow enough, not as easy as it sounds for me though, as my natural reaction is to turn the reel handle even just a bit.

Is anyone else using it? Has anyone made it work?

Kind regards,
Dave
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Ned Rig

Post by Ian Crook »

Dave, there are people who can take big perch shoals apart with the dreaded Ned, for me it’s soooo bloody boooooooring!! I like to fish more active finesse methods personally, I hate Drop Shot too!!

I think both methods were invented to let Carp and Match anglers catch Perch! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Ian Crook wrote: ↑Tue Feb 07 2023 23:24 -
Dave, there are people who can take big perch shoals apart with the dreaded Ned, for me it’s soooo bloody boooooooring!! I like to fish more active finesse methods personally, I hate Drop Shot too!!

I think both methods were invented to let Carp and Match anglers catch Perch! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Spot on, it's just so tedious. If I wanted to fish that slowly I'd put a lobworm out and have a cuppa.
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

:laughs: :laughs: :laughs: Cheers Ian, good to hear from you mate. :thumbs:
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

Daniel wrote: ↑Wed Feb 08 2023 07:29 -

Spot on, it's just so tedious. If I wanted to fish that slowly I'd put a lobworm out and have a cuppa.
Cheers Daniel. :thumbs:
dropped_run
Perch
Perch

Post by dropped_run »

Never move the lure with the reel handle. That’s the easiest way to remember to keep slow. Rod tip only. Little drags, hops, pauses etc. If you know they are there, chuck it at em and leave it there.

It’s not my favourite method but it flat out works.
And get the hula sticks, bang sticks and 6” trd’s for zeds :wink:
James Dobie.
JoeNickel
Chub
Chub

Post by JoeNickel »

I've never fished it - it's just a soft plastic worm with a jig head?
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

JoeNickel wrote: ↑Wed Feb 08 2023 23:47 -
Here you go Joe.

https://todbermanor.co.uk/adam-jones-lo ... ot-colours

As above it catches fish, shed loads. A guy I know who fish a club river the same as me catches far more big Perch 3+ on the Ned as I do with cranks or spinner baits.

But it bores me to tears, I enjoy what I do as he enjoys standing stock still and wiggling his rod. Not for me at all.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

dropped_run wrote: ↑Wed Feb 08 2023 14:00 -
Never move the lure with the reel handle. That’s the easiest way to remember to keep slow. Rod tip only. Little drags, hops, pauses etc. If you know they are there, chuck it at em and leave it there.

Cheers for the tip James, the key being I guess 'if you know they are there'. I need to make sure I've located fish. :cool: :thumbs:

It's caught my attention, I'd at least like to catch one or two on it before consigning it to the the bin as a method.

I quite enjoy fishing the Canals etc with small shads after Perch and Zeds, I see this as just be another way to go, thanks. :thumbs:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

its a really good method , if you have the patience, i have loads , you need a fair clear bottom for it to work , not a snaggy venue method

first time i used it straight out of the packet , caught a 16lb pike , perch do love it , its hard in the depths of winter mind
i find it quite relaxing , lure fishing with big jerks can be very tiring as you will know , you can go all day on the neds .......also good on the chub .....
i always use a wire because of the pike presence , they do look like prey fish grubbing about on the bottom ......
its something you have to persevere with and yes ....slower the better....

steve
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

no mate..... its been going a long time in the states catches all sorts of species some really big bass

its a very good method in actually finding fish .......

steve :thumbs:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Fentiger01 wrote: ↑Thu Feb 09 2023 15:50 -

Cheers for the tip James, the key being I guess 'if you know they are there'. I need to make sure I've located fish. :cool: :thumbs:

It's caught my attention, I'd at least like to catch one or two on it before consigning it to the the bin as a method.

I quite enjoy fishing the Canals etc with small shads after Perch and Zeds, I see this as just be another way to go, thanks. :thumbs:
if you look on you-tube .....life on the bank the guy on there has had some very good perch and shows you how you should be fishing it , it admits he was fishing it far to fast himself at the start ....cant remember his name ...good angler
ChrisR2010
Roach
Roach

Post by ChrisR2010 »

Nick Marsh. Good videos and catches some good fish of all species.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

ChrisR2010 wrote: ↑Thu Feb 09 2023 20:11 -
yes chris he is a good all rounder , some good pike too......not up is own ass like some on you tube :thumbs:
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

stubbojo wrote: ↑Thu Feb 09 2023 19:52 -
Fentiger01 wrote: ↑Thu Feb 09 2023 15:50 -

if you look on you-tube .....life on the bank the guy on there has had some very good perch and shows you how you should be fishing it , it admits he was fishing it far to fast himself at the start ....cant remember his name ...good angler
I'll look that out mate, thank you! :cool: :thumbs:
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

stubbojo wrote: ↑Thu Feb 09 2023 19:47 -

no mate..... its been going a long time in the states catches all sorts of species some really big bass

its a very good method in actually finding fish .......

steve :thumbs:
I am fully aware, my comment was a joke, the laughing smilies are a give away.

It was originated by cutting down Gary Yamamoto worms and made popular in the States by Ned Kehde, hence Ned Rig.
The first real uk pioneer was Paul Parnell whose annual bass trips saw him pick up ZMan Ned weights and TRDs, he then convinced Martin whatsit who was just creating Lure Lounge to bring over ZMan to the UK market and shared the method widely.
Last edited by Ian Crook on Thu Feb 09 2023 21:56, edited 1 time in total.
JoeNickel
Chub
Chub

Post by JoeNickel »

stubbojo wrote: ↑Thu Feb 09 2023 19:39 -
its a really good method , if you have the patience, i have loads , you need a fair clear bottom for it to work , not a snaggy venue method

first time i used it straight out of the packet , caught a 16lb pike , perch do love it , its hard in the depths of winter mind
i find it quite relaxing , lure fishing with big jerks can be very tiring as you will know , you can go all day on the neds .......also good on the chub .....
i always use a wire because of the pike presence , they do look like prey fish grubbing about on the bottom ......

steve
I often have lots of patience. I don't always have a fair, clear bottom.
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
ChrisR2010
Roach
Roach

Post by ChrisR2010 »

stubbojo wrote: ↑Thu Feb 09 2023 20:40 -
ChrisR2010 wrote: ↑Thu Feb 09 2023 20:11 -
yes chris he is a good all rounder , some good pike too......not up is own ass like some on you tube :thumbs:
Agreed.

Starting watching one of the Fox Rage ones earlier. FFS the guy introduced himself and Fox every few mins :w****r:
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

JoeNickel wrote: ↑Thu Feb 09 2023 21:56 -
stubbojo wrote: ↑Thu Feb 09 2023 19:39 -

steve
I often have lots of patience. I don't always have a fair, clear bottom.
Is that you, or your venues Joe?πŸ˜πŸ˜€
Peter Newman
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Monts wrote: ↑Thu Feb 09 2023 10:32 -
Here you go Joe.

As above it catches fish, shed loads. A guy I know who fish a club river the same as me catches far more big Perch 3+ on the Ned as I do with cranks or spinner baits.

But it bores me to tears, I enjoy what I do as he enjoys standing stock still and wiggling his rod. Not for me at all.
Like others, I don't much favour the slow presentations - but I don't catch shedloads of big perch! Big perch and success with them, limited on my venues - so I was chuffed with this season's best today - 3.0 on my favourite bigger perch technique - bumping a 4" perch shad along bottom.
Back in my livebaiting days, I remember small perch were good for big ones, so this seems next-best?...
948334BA-BC7A-4F5D-A12E-09880D392705.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter Newman
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

your right peter , i have watched big perch hunt down there own in very shallow water , about 18inches deep , and a ned is perfect to imitate them little perch in the shallows grubbing about , just shows them bigger perch are not always in deep water , they regularly hunt the margins even when its cold

steve

lovely fish peter ......i do like a small perch live paternoster style ......all time favourite bait for them
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Here you go Joe.

my mate hates it ,but he does not catch many good perch , i keep sending him pics of my fish on the neds , it really winds him up .... :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

stubbojo wrote: ↑Sat Feb 11 2023 21:28 -
Here you go Joe.

my mate hates it ,but he does not catch many good perch , i keep sending him pics of my fish on the neds , it really winds him up .... :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
We all fish how we enjoy, I've had plenty of big river Perch over the years on cranks. By big I mean over 3lb Joe, we can't and should not compete with the guys on the big ressies. Ned rig, dragging creatures about is not for me, but for those that do great. It's the same with Roach, we all fish in a different manner, and none is right or wrong.

#itonlycountsonaflyforRoach. :wink:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

as long as your enjoying the hunt/catch , be it spinning , fly , big lures , lives , deads, mobile static , theres so many variations , and nice to mix it up sometimes trying a different approach

keep it bent .....steve
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

stubbojo wrote: ↑Sat Feb 11 2023 22:28 -
as long as your enjoying the hunt/catch , be it spinning , fly , big lures , lives , deads, mobile static , theres so many variations , and nice to mix it up sometimes trying a different approach

keep it bent .....steve
:cool: :thumbs:
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Dave,

You will of course need one of these to wear when casting among shopping trolleys on the Midland canal system..
s-l500.jpg
Then a cap worn back to front, some Costa glasses, maybe a YouTube channel also. And learn to use the words dude, sick and rad.

Good luck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gus666
Zander
Zander
Location: Auld Ayr, wham ne'er a toon surpasses, For Honest Men and bonnie lassies...

Post by gus666 »

Monts wrote: ↑Wed Feb 15 2023 09:50 -
Dave,

You will of course need one of these to wear when casting among shopping trolleys on the Midland canal system..

s-l500.jpg

Then a cap worn back to front, some Costa glasses, maybe a YouTube channel also. And learn to use the words dude, sick and rad.

Good luck.
:laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

A word of warning though-Z Man are good lures but do NOT store them with other plastic stuff, they melt anything they touch!
Keep them in the packets they come in.
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

Dave,

s-l500.jpg

Good luck.
That's so sick dude. :rock:

:laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

Dave,

s-l500.jpg

Good luck.
What’s wrong with Costas? πŸ˜‚
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Ian Crook wrote: ↑Wed Feb 15 2023 17:51 -
Dave,

s-l500.jpg

Good luck.
What’s wrong with Costas? πŸ˜‚
lovely coffee ,but its not cheap ......