Miuras mouse - Colours

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Miuras mouse - Colours

Post by Ratty46 »

Those that use them, have you found any colours better than others?
Or do you think it's more the lure its self and action and size rather than colour that matters?
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Re: Miuras mouse - Colours

Post by Mark Phillips »

Nope, same as any other lure, you really want a good selection of colours - clear water I use the black/orange,white/brown and the brown - overcast/low light and coloured water, that's fire tiger, sunset and the red/white. I've not found one colour that's superior, but the one that sells the most is the white one - Pierre Monjarret has a lot to do with that. It's the one that always sells out first.

The lure moves a lot of water compared to most, which is a big part of why it works so well. I find they produce bigger fish and on days when it is hard going, it is uncanny how the Mouse seems to winkle out a take. The larger head and prominent eyes provide a good focal point - a lot of takes are head shots. You can fish them shallow or deep, fast or slow. I've found them more productive with paddle tail soft lure bodies, but the twin tail still has its days - I've modified a few so I can change bodies without having to unscrew and then re-attach. Curly tails like the wingman work well too, especially in cold water. There's a few other mods you can do that help hook-up rates and get a few more bites. Out of the pack, they're not the greatest in some respects. Only downside with them is they don't cast that well and if you buy them in the UK, ouch and ouch again. I don't!
Piking Plonker
ecky
Roach
Roach

Post by ecky »

Bobco tackle,have some in their predator sale.
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

White Christmas (red and white) is the first one I try in any conditions, it just catches for me everywhere I go.

I'll carry that one, plus a bright option like melon and a plain black one.

I don't worry too much about trying to make them bigger by using different tails, most of the venues I fish don't hold huge pike and making them bigger gets me less hits most of the time, but I do carry a couple of different shads to use, one with a lazy, rolling action, and the other with a faster tail action with barely any body roll.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

ecky wrote: Sun Sep 03 2023 07:44 -
I saw that the other day. Hardly sale prices though, at £36 a pop and I do love the quoted RRP of £38.99 :eek: I've never paid more than around 25 Euro for one or about £22. Best place to buy almost all lures these days is the EU. Keep under the £135 duty threshold though and keep any eye on exchange rates.
Piking Plonker
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

Mark Phillips wrote: Sat Sep 02 2023 23:25 -
Nope, same as any other lure, you really want a good selection of colours - clear water I use the black/orange,white/brown and the brown - overcast/low light and coloured water, that's fire tiger, sunset and the red/white. I've not found one colour that's superior, but the one that sells the most is the white one - Pierre Monjarret has a lot to do with that. It's the one that always sells out first.

The lure moves a lot of water compared to most, which is a big part of why it works so well. I find they produce bigger fish and on days when it is hard going, it is uncanny how the Mouse seems to winkle out a take. The larger head and prominent eyes provide a good focal point - a lot of takes are head shots. You can fish them shallow or deep, fast or slow. I've found them more productive with paddle tail soft lure bodies, but the twin tail still has its days - I've modified a few so I can change bodies without having to unscrew and then re-attach. Curly tails like the wingman work well too, especially in cold water. There's a few other mods you can do that help hook-up rates and get a few more bites. Out of the pack, they're not the greatest in some respects. Only downside with them is they don't cast that well and if you buy them in the UK, ouch and ouch again. I don't!
Hey Mark

i kinda do this with most lures i buy, i try to get a bright colour, a dark and a natural. defo agree it can make a diff on certain days or water conditions.

i have a 23cm Sunset ( reddy/orange) and a Yellow fever ( dark brown, and a darkish yellow) and a 20cm mini in Dracula ( red/black)
im gonna add a Melon ( fluro yellow) 23 and 20cm

Yes they do move alot of water, big presence, you can feel it a bit on the retrieve i find, fewer takes and bigger fish is fne by me!
they are very versatile, much more so than people maybe first thought?
i'm going to do the front split ring mod, and i have some weights coming to fih them deeper.
part of why i like them, the fact you can change them up a bit and experiment with curlys and paddle tails.

what have you done to aid attaching diff tails? i liek the sound of that, some sort of clip or split ring?
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

ecky wrote: Sun Sep 03 2023 07:44 -
i will have a nose, thank you :)
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

Daniel wrote: Sun Sep 03 2023 13:28 -
White Christmas (red and white) is the first one I try in any conditions, it just catches for me everywhere I go.

I'll carry that one, plus a bright option like melon and a plain black one.

I don't worry too much about trying to make them bigger by using different tails, most of the venues I fish don't hold huge pike and making them bigger gets me less hits most of the time, but I do carry a couple of different shads to use, one with a lazy, rolling action, and the other with a faster tail action with barely any body roll.
i really like the look of the Melon colour, love fluro yellow,its Rossi thing lol

good pooint about diff actions of the paddle tails, i need to keep that in mind, not something i had thought of, my mate had a loverly 24 on a white one, i cant rememebr which one, Ice Cream or White xmas i cannot bloody remember.
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

How many fish will they handle before falling apart Mark?
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

piker al wrote: Sun Sep 03 2023 19:04 -

A lot.
The tail will get mangled as all soft plastics do, but I've had over a hundred fish on one and the bodies still like new, I've used 3-4 tails on it.
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Daniel wrote: Sun Sep 03 2023 21:11 -

A lot.
The tail will get mangled as all soft plastics do, but I've had over a hundred fish on one and the bodies still like new, I've used 3-4 tails on it.
Cheers for reply Daniel, are the tails easy replaced, just screwed on?
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

piker al wrote: Sun Sep 03 2023 21:15 -
Daniel wrote: Sun Sep 03 2023 21:11 -

A lot.
Cheers for reply Daniel, are the tails easy replaced, just screwed on?
Yes they just screw on, the fiddly bit is keeping the hairy body out of the way while doing it!
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

They're really good in that respect, the heads keeps on trucking, just the body/tail that gets chewed up and obviously you can replace those :thumbs:
Piking Plonker
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Ratty46 wrote: Sun Sep 03 2023 17:27 -

Hey Mark

i kinda do this with most lures i buy, i try to get a bright colour, a dark and a natural. defo agree it can make a diff on certain days or water conditions.

i have a 23cm Sunset ( reddy/orange) and a Yellow fever ( dark brown, and a darkish yellow) and a 20cm mini in Dracula ( red/black)

Yes they do move alot of water, big presence, you can feel it a bit on the retrieve i find, fewer takes and bigger fish is fne by me!
i'm going to do the front split ring mod, and i have some weights coming to fih them deeper.
part of why i like them, the fact you can change them up a bit and experiment with curlys and paddle tails.

what have you done to aid attaching diff tails? i liek the sound of that, some sort of clip or split ring?
Just cut off the bait screw that holds the body/tail, fit a split ring and then attach a new shallow screw - I use the larger Gator ones. You can then change bodies quickly and easily. Also adds a bit more movement to the body of the lure. I've done that modification on a few of mine. I put a ball bearing swivel on the front treble, the double split ring isn't quite enough to stop the odd one levering itself off. I use Pikecraft weights and clips to get them deeper. Ze Germans sell those, expensive, but high quality.
Piking Plonker
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

Mark Phillips wrote: Mon Sep 04 2023 20:51 -
Ratty46 wrote: Sun Sep 03 2023 17:27 -

Hey Mark

Just cut off the bait screw that holds the body/tail, fit a split ring and then attach a new shallow screw - I use the larger Gator ones. You can then change bodies quickly and easily. Also adds a bit more movement to the body of the lure. I've done that modification on a few of mine. I put a ball bearing swivel on the front treble, the double split ring isn't quite enough to stop the odd one levering itself off. I use Pikecraft weights and clips to get them deeper. Ze Germans sell those, expensive, but high quality.
good ideas that, i may nick that :)

i just got some new single curl tails from SS,Big game grubs & Mogambo grubs, they look good, and slightly diff in size to each other.

i liek Pikecraft, i have soem the shallow screws and stinger kits, awesome quality! i have used cheb weights to get them bit deeper, obvs not attaching wire to the cheb just sits below the clip and swims right and a little bit deeper.
Alan_dalton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Alan_dalton »

What are the best European shops to get them from please?
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Alan_dalton wrote: Thu Sep 07 2023 17:07 -
Sportfish in Sweden. Wait for their Black Friday sale!
Piking Plonker
Alan_dalton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Alan_dalton »

Mark Phillips wrote: Fri Sep 08 2023 19:14 -
Alan_dalton wrote: Thu Sep 07 2023 17:07 -
Sportfish in Sweden. Wait for their Black Friday sale!
:thumbs:
Brother Belcher
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Brother Belcher »

Are they really worth the money?
Never heard of them before and very intrigued.
Rammer223
Roach
Roach

Post by Rammer223 »

Just been going through my big lure box having a tidy for when it cools down, now I have couple mice and struggled with them last season, but going to try them again, I have just added the swivel extra split ring to the front but looks a little ungainly, my question is do you just leave front hook hanging ? Just seems quite a drop
Thanks lee
fishder
Perch
Perch

Post by fishder »

Good lures .
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Brother Belcher wrote: Sun Sep 10 2023 01:51 -
Over-priced? Yes. Worth having? Yes.

One of those lures that catches fish when other lures are being ignored - often produces bigger fish as well. Pike hate them - they usually hit the head and really slam into them. Easy to fish, just cast and retrieve, add a few pauses - takes can come any time and rip the rod out of your hand. The smaller Mouse is a pike magnet on shallow drains by the way.
Piking Plonker
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Rammer223 wrote: Sun Sep 10 2023 13:13 -
Just been going through my big lure box having a tidy for when it cools down, now I have couple mice and struggled with them last season, but going to try them again, I have just added the swivel extra split ring to the front but looks a little ungainly, my question is do you just leave front hook hanging ? Just seems quite a drop
Thanks lee
Hi Lee.

I just double split ring the front hook when fishing with the standard tail and leave that hanging, very rare for it to tangle with the leader. The rear treble, I add a stinger pin and push one hook into the rear of the lure. Keep chucking them and sooner or later you'll wonder why you didn't use them more. One of those lures that when it works, it really works.

Piking Plonker
Brother Belcher
Stickleback
Stickleback

Mark Phillips wrote: Fri Sep 29 2023 22:53 -

One of those lures that catches fish when other lures are being ignored - often produces bigger fish as well. Pike hate them - they usually hit the head and really slam into them. Easy to fish, just cast and retrieve, add a few pauses - takes can come any time and rip the rod out of your hand. The smaller Mouse is a pike magnet on shallow drains by the way.
Okay so it's a great lure, but at that price I would only buy one. So of all the variants, as a Gt Ouse river man, which would you recommend?
Rammer223
Roach
Roach

Post by Rammer223 »

Thanks mark will revisit
Regards lee
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

Brother Belcher wrote: Sat Sep 30 2023 01:24 -

Okay so it's a great lure, but at that price I would only buy one. So of all the variants, as a Gt Ouse river man, which would you recommend?
Get one dark/natural and one bright , swap tails around , single curly/paddle tail/ twin tail
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

I fish the Ouse a bit, have done for 25 odd years now. Lure colour certainly can make a difference on that water. As others will say, you really need at least a couple of colours to cover different light conditions. Firetiger and the Spotted Bullhead, which is predominantly brown, would be the two I'd have if pushed. Maybe squeeze in the white and brown (ice cream) when no one is looking... if you want to swap between curly and paddle tails, just cut off the original shallow screw that holds the body, then attach a split ring, then use a new shallow screw for the body and connect that to the split ring. Some days it's paddle and other they want curly. Don't ask me why! These lures aren't a silver bullet, but do offer something different and because they displace a lot of water, do get noticed by pike more than other lures you'd be able to fish at the same speed. The biggest downside of them, casting distance, especially into a head wind if bank fishing.
Piking Plonker
Brother Belcher
Stickleback
Stickleback

Ratty46 wrote: Sat Sep 30 2023 13:20 -

Get one dark/natural and one bright , swap tails around , single curly/paddle tail/ twin tail
Thanks
Brother Belcher
Stickleback
Stickleback

Mark Phillips wrote: Sat Sep 30 2023 14:19 -

I fish the Ouse a bit, have done for 25 odd years now. Lure colour certainly can make a difference on that water. As others will say, you really need at least a couple of colours to cover different light conditions. Firetiger and the Spotted Bullhead, which is predominantly brown, would be the two I'd have if pushed. Maybe squeeze in the white and brown (ice cream) when no one is looking... if you want to swap between curly and paddle tails, just cut off the original shallow screw that holds the body, then attach a split ring, then use a new shallow screw for the body and connect that to the split ring. Some days it's paddle and other they want curly. Don't ask me why! These lures aren't a silver bullet, but do offer something different and because they displace a lot of water, do get noticed by pike more than other lures you'd be able to fish at the same speed. The biggest downside of them, casting distance, especially into a head wind if bank fishing.

Thanks