Minimum Strength Wire Trace

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Minimum Strength Wire Trace

Post by Taffypiker »

In perch waters that contain the occasional pike to 10 pounds ?

I have some 13 pound ones but would you be cautious and use 15 or 20 ?
Chico 48 PAC
Chub
Chub

Re: Minimum Strength Wire Trace

Post by Chico 48 PAC »

Thirteen ought to be okay if you are postive ten pounds is upper ceiling for pike in that water. Fifteen is a sensible precaution if they may go a tad bigger. Wires have become stronger yet can still have a lowish diameter and remain supple over the years, Wonder wire and several others are much better than wires used to be.
Using a wire,if supple and a lowish diameter should not effect the perch fishing and is the only and sensible option if pike are around.
JOIN THE PAC- http://www.pacgb.co.uk/join.html
www.chicoslures.co.uk - if you use FC for pike then do not use me.
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Chico 48 PAC wrote: Sat Sep 23 2023 17:26 -
Thirteen ought to be okay if you are postive ten pounds is upper ceiling for pike in that water. Fifteen is a sensible precaution if they may go a tad bigger. Wires have become stronger yet can still have a lowish diameter and remain supple over the years, Wonder wire and several others are much better than wires used to be.
Using a wire,if supple and a lowish diameter should not effect the perch fishing and is the only and sensible option if pike are around.
I will take your advice and up things

What ready made traces would you suggest ?
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

I generally use 12lb titanium single strand when fishing for perch/chub. I’ve caught plenty of doubles where I fish and there and there are a few 20’s that make appearances on rare occasions, but fishing backwaters with small lures, it only tends to be the odd over zealous jack that tends to hand around there and take the small lures.

Saying that, I’ve had a couple of doubles which the Ti handled no problem, I also landed a 22lb’er take a 2” spikey Shad when I used 10lb drennan soft strand, although I think that was more luck than judgement !!!
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Flipflopjoe wrote: Sun Sep 24 2023 14:50 -
I generally use 12lb titanium single strand when fishing for perch/chub. I’ve caught plenty of doubles where I fish and there and there are a few 20’s that make appearances on rare occasions, but fishing backwaters with small lures, it only tends to be the odd over zealous jack that tends to hand around there and take the small lures.

Saying that, I’ve had a couple of doubles which the Ti handled no problem, I also landed a 22lb’er take a 2” spikey Shad when I used 10lb drennan soft strand, although I think that was more luck than judgement !!!
Do drennan make soft strand leaders or is it just sold as wire ?
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Taffypiker wrote: Sun Sep 24 2023 20:53 -

I don’t know if they sell pre-made leaders, I’ve always made my own.
Joe Birch
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

I generally use 12lb titanium single strand when fishing for perch/chub. I’ve caught plenty of doubles on them...
Same here.

Don't think traces put them off with cast / retrieve lures.
Peter Newman
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Flipflopjoe wrote: Mon Sep 25 2023 04:15 -

I have some 13 and 20 pound ones from agm but can't find drennan soft strand ones
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

peteren wrote: Mon Sep 25 2023 09:50 -

I generally use 12lb titanium single strand when fishing for perch/chub. I’ve caught plenty of doubles on them...
Same here.

Don't think traces put them off with cast / retrieve lures.

I suppose finesse fishing would give them more time to see the wire up close
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Taffypiker wrote: Mon Sep 25 2023 14:39 -

I have some 13 and 20 pound ones from agm but can't find drennan soft strand ones
It twists and knots really easy, simple to make your own traces. I either use small swivels or little carp rings as a connection point, but I’ve also just knotted it to straight to my braid before now.
Joe Birch
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Flipflopjoe wrote: Mon Sep 25 2023 16:42 -

It twists and knots really easy, simple to make your own traces. I either use small swivels or little carp rings as a connection point, but I’ve also just knotted it to straight to my braid before now.
That's it , no crimping needed ?
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Flipflopjoe wrote: Mon Sep 25 2023 16:42 -

What knot to top swivel do you use and what snap links ? Or American snap links ?

Would like to give em a go ......in the 15 pound .....but obviously want to be safe for the pike
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

I use HTO light game links, and like I’ve said, small rig rings or swivels (or knot straight to main line).
I don’t know what the knot I use is called :red:
Through the eye of the link, loop the tag around the mainline twice, up through the loops and pull tight, slide the knot down to the eye then twist the tag end. Dunno if that helps ?!?
Same with the ring/swivel.
When I used to tie it direct, I’m sure I used a Uni knot.

This is with the Drennan soft strand tho, i crimp my Ti traces.
Joe Birch
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Flipflopjoe wrote: Mon Sep 25 2023 20:48 -
I use HTO light game links, and like I’ve said, small rig rings or swivels (or knot straight to main line).
I don’t know what the knot I use is called :red:
Through the eye of the link, loop the tag around the mainline twice, up through the loops and pull tight, slide the knot down to the eye then twist the tag end. Dunno if that helps ?!?
Same with the ring/swivel.
When I used to tie it direct, I’m sure I used a Uni knot.

This is with the Drennan soft strand tho, i crimp my Ti traces.
That's great , thank you