Which Lure Rod?

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Frenchieboy
Roach
Roach

Which Lure Rod?

Post by Frenchieboy »

If admin think this post would be better in a different section please feel free to move it!
I currently have a 7 foot 10-25G rod and a 9 foot 20-60g rod, both of which I enjoy using and get on quite well with! However up until now I have only been using lures up to around 30(ish)g. The wife has asked me what I would like for Christmas and I have come up with a suggestion of a heavier rated lure rod for chucking heavier and bigger lures and for using for larger dead baits when wobbling! Ideally the rod would want to be suitable for using with either a fixed spool reel or a bait caster/multiplier.
Keeping in mind that I am relatively new to pike fishing and have to fish on a budget what lure rod would you guys suggest, let's say up to around £100 please?
Thanks in advance for any advice! :thumbs:

Edit: Being a little fat short ar$e I would ideally like to stick with something not longer than about 10 foot in length!
Chico 48 PAC
Chub
Chub

Re: Which Lure Rod?

Post by Chico 48 PAC »

I honestly think you are really looking for more than one rod to cover the requirements to do everything you require.
Dave Lumbs' Duellists might have fitted the bill on most of it but sadly they are discontinued.
I am not familier with the more budget rods available so hopefully someone else on here will be and can recommend something for you.
JOIN THE PAC- http://www.pacgb.co.uk/join.html
www.chicoslures.co.uk - if you use FC for pike then do not use me.
paintman
Perch
Perch

Post by paintman »

Wonder if you might be better looking at a rod capable of dead baiting & using it for bigger lures?

FWIW I have a Fox Warrior 12' 3lb TC I bought for carp but fine for deadbaiting & I used it a lot for sea lures & sea float fishing until I bought the heavier drop shot/lure rods I now use for lures. Not bad as a light beachcaster either.
Throws big lures - up to 150g - without problem.
I've got another very similar 12' Abu but 21/2 lb TC which I think is a bit light for 100g+ lures.
Bit long for use in a boat but I'm not buying a pair of shorter rods!

Used Ambassadeur multipliers decades ago for salmon spinning but the only thing I use them for now is with the sea boat rods.
I did take one out the other week pike boat fishing & tried casting heavy lures but gave up after around an hour & went to the fixed spools.
Just don't see any point in making life difficult for myself.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Chico 48 PAC wrote: Mon Nov 06 2023 12:15 -
I honestly think you are really looking for more than one rod to cover the requirements to do everything you require.
Dave Lumbs' Duellists might have fitted the bill on most of it but sadly they are discontinued.
I am not familier with the more budget rods available so hopefully someone else on here will be and can recommend something for you.
Duellists are available again. :grin:
Chico 48 PAC
Chub
Chub

Post by Chico 48 PAC »

Save up and look at Duellists then.
JOIN THE PAC- http://www.pacgb.co.uk/join.html
www.chicoslures.co.uk - if you use FC for pike then do not use me.
paintman
Perch
Perch

Post by paintman »

Bit more than the budget.....
Unless his wife really really loves him & he has all his Christmases & birthdays at once :smile:
Frenchieboy
Roach
Roach

Post by Frenchieboy »

paintman wrote: Mon Nov 06 2023 13:44 -
Wonder if you might be better looking at a rod capable of dead baiting & using it for bigger lures?

FWIW I have a Fox Warrior 12' 3lb TC I bought for carp but fine for deadbaiting & I used it a lot for sea lures & sea float fishing until I bought the heavier drop shot/lure rods I now use for lures. Not bad as a light beachcaster either.
Throws big lures - up to 150g - without problem.
I've got another very similar 12' Abu but 21/2 lb TC which I think is a bit light for 100g+ lures.
Bit long for use in a boat but I'm not buying a pair of shorter rods!

Used Ambassadeur multipliers decades ago for salmon spinning but the only thing I use them for now is with the sea boat rods.
I did take one out the other week pike boat fishing & tried casting heavy lures but gave up after around an hour & went to the fixed spools.
Just don't see any point in making life difficult for myself.
That makes sense as there are plenty of carp rods about on the market at "quite reasonable prices"! If I decided to go down that route what sort of T/C should I be looking for that would cast say small mackerel or small herrings as well as heavier lures? I would have thought about 2.75 to 3.0 pounds T/C, but I am open to advice! I would ideally still like to stick with my thoughts of about 10 feet in length.
I should say that as a novice I do appreciate the advice given on this forum! Thank you all! :thumbs:
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

I’ve got one of the original savage gear multi purpose predator big lure and jerk rods rated to 150g. I’ve found it very good for casting large lures with and not too heavy so easy to use all day. I think it was about £70 5 or so years ago. I believe they’ve now been replaced with a V2 model. Can’t comment about wobbling dead baits with it though, as it’s not something I do much of.

Hope this helps

Jack
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

I reckon a heavy lure rod would suit your need although you’d probably have to decide if you want it built & rung for multi or FS.
If you go down the carp rod route, there’s 28g in an ounce so if you match what size lures you think you’re going to be chucking with the test curve if the rod (ie 3lb tc would equal 3 x 28 = up to 84g lures) you shouldn’t go far wrong.
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

I think an 8'6 rod rated to 100gish will do the job for you, tho you won't get one for both baitcaster and FS, it's one of the other.
JoeNickel
Chub
Chub

Post by JoeNickel »

I'd go for a multiplier/baitcaster rung heavy lure rod.

10ft might be too long - 7-9ft would be more typical, particularly if it's a fast-actioned rod for jerkbaits.

In that price range, Savage Gear are fine. Or stick a post on here in 'wanted' - you're more likely to get a quality rod second hand. There are also a couple of pike / lure tackle-selling pages on Facebook.
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

Frenchieboy wrote: Mon Nov 06 2023 11:57 -
If admin think this post would be better in a different section please feel free to move it!
I currently have a 7 foot 10-25G rod and a 9 foot 20-60g rod, both of which I enjoy using and get on quite well with! However up until now I have only been using lures up to around 30(ish)g. The wife has asked me what I would like for Christmas and I have come up with a suggestion of a heavier rated lure rod for chucking heavier and bigger lures and for using for larger dead baits when wobbling! Ideally the rod would want to be suitable for using with either a fixed spool reel or a bait caster/multiplier.
Keeping in mind that I am relatively new to pike fishing and have to fish on a budget what lure rod would you guys suggest, let's say up to around £100 please?

Edit: Being a little fat short ar$e I would ideally like to stick with something not longer than about 10 foot in length!
Buy some tickets for the forthcoming Christmas Competition and you could win a £250 DLST voucher ✅😃
Frenchieboy
Roach
Roach

Post by Frenchieboy »

Ben wrote: Tue Nov 07 2023 18:54 -

Buy some tickets for the forthcoming Christmas Competition and you could win a £250 DLST voucher ✅😃
Where and how are the tickets available please?
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

Frenchieboy wrote: Tue Nov 07 2023 19:12 -
Ben wrote: Tue Nov 07 2023 18:54 -

Where and how are the tickets available please?
Starts two weeks tomorrow and I’ll put a post up on the forum 👍🏼