Shallow water lures

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Shallow water lures

Post by Mike J »

Carp lake.
Water clear, depth 3-6ft, dense bottom weed, a max of 3ft of clear water to the surface over the entire water.
Roach, rudd and bream present, rarely seem and spend most of their time within the weed, Pike scattered, rarely seen and seemingly moving around in the weed. Jacks scarce.
Cormorants and grebes always present.

Small spinners and mid sized wobblers zero. Deads zero. Lives +2 (years ago).

So gentlemen what lure would you suggest?

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Re: Shallow water lures

Post by Steve Dennington »

Depth would suit glidebaits to a tee.
royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy »

Especially a Manta .....
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

Magnum Hellcats and 7" Mollys. The Hellcat will get down to mx 3' cranking, and runs great at about 1' - 1.5' twitching. The Molly will run deeper cranked but comes into its own when shallow twitched - the best flat-sided minnow I've found for twitching and I've tried the lot.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Floating Squirrely Burt. Works on a straight crank as well as jerked. :wink:
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

A spinnerbait would be worth a go. I’ve got some Joe Bucher slopmasters which are designed to be fished through the thickest of weed. I would also try one of the fox shallow replicants. Slow sinking and if you begin to retrieve as soon as they hit the water, they come in just under the surface.

Jack
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

davelumb wrote: Wed Dec 13 2023 12:11 -
Floating Squirrely Burt. Works on a straight crank as well as jerked. :wink:

Okay :thumbs: as I have upteen burts some still in their packs they will get the first swim.
Mantas I also have
All my gliders are sinking (I think).

I can park alongside the water so perhaps I should fill the boot and bucket anything that hits the weeds.

Keep the suggestions coming, any fish banked will be faithfully reported. :thumbs:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Sink n Draw with a 4-6 ounce Roach Mike... deadly on the day. (is this defined a as dead lure! lol)
fossil-fish
Perch
Perch

Post by fossil-fish »

Floating Salmo Slider. The sinking version will actually fish at the same depth on the retrieve, about 3'.
Michael Bruton
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Mike J wrote: Wed Dec 13 2023 12:46 -

All my gliders are sinking (I think).
Upward inputs, if necessary, will keep you above the weed. I fish a few places where I can only dream of having as much as 3ft of water to play with and find glidebaits (sinking or floating) very effective.
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

All the above.👍
And Miuras mouse and jigflies do well for me in similar situations. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Peter Newman
DaveGreenwood
Zander
Zander

Post by DaveGreenwood »

Very slow sinking Jerkbaits and Tailbaits.
ADAM-F
Roach
Roach

Post by ADAM-F »

Manns mid -1
Fished on solid titanium trace gives it a little sink.
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

Dive-n-rise jerks like a Suick would also work - especially as they back up from the weed tail first on the pause.
Fordey
Perch
Perch

Post by Fordey »

Mike J wrote: Wed Dec 13 2023 11:14 -
Carp lake.
Water clear, depth 3-6ft, dense bottom weed, a max of 3ft of clear water to the surface over the entire water.
Roach, rudd and bream present, rarely seem and spend most of their time within the weed, Pike scattered, rarely seen and seemingly moving around in the weed. Jacks scarce.
Cormorants and grebes always present.

Small spinners and mid sized wobblers zero. Deads zero. Lives +2 (years ago).

So gentlemen what lure would you suggest?

I fish a lot of this type of water in the spring/early summer time. My go-to bait is a shallow dawg from musky innovations. Can be fished ultra slow, and will nearly "hang". A great hooker as well, important if limited amount of pike present.
You didn't come here to talk to me about button mushrooms or birds
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

I've never seen Cormorants working a pit / lake with 6' of water Mike, I know of one such pit and have never seen a cormorant on there and believe me there is no shortage !
old_school
Roach
Roach

Post by old_school »

DaveGreenwood wrote: Wed Dec 13 2023 16:35 -
How about one of your dinkys? they fish fairly shallow, similar to a SG jerkster, start the retrieve soon as it lands 👍
If you always fish where others fish, you'll always catch what others catch.
DaveGreenwood
Zander
Zander

Post by DaveGreenwood »

old_school wrote: Thu Dec 14 2023 08:35 -
DaveGreenwood wrote: Wed Dec 13 2023 16:35 -
How about one of your dinkys? they fish fairly shallow, similar to a SG jerkster, start the retrieve soon as it lands 👍
Dinky, Delta, Fatjerk all would work, the advantage with custom lures is that they can be weighted for the individual, super slow, slow, medium or fast sinking. :thumbs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Many thanks for all your suggestions.

Thinking along the lines of slow and slower and disturbance what about a duckling? I know its out of season but has anyone had success with ducklings at this time of year? If so which colours I have all the colours.
DaveGreenwood wrote: Thu Dec 14 2023 08:59 -
[quote=old_school post_id=820853 time=<a href="tel:1702539319">1702539319</a> user_id=5295]
[quote=DaveGreenwood post_id=820777 time=<a href="tel:1702481701">1702481701</a> user_id=138]

Do you advertise or should I PM you?

Steve Le maitre wrote: Thu Dec 14 2023 07:30 -
I've never seen Cormorants working a pit / lake with 6' of water Mike, I know of one such pit and have never seen a cormorant on there and believe me there is no shortage !

Yes Steve they are always there, I watched one the other day and it ate so much it couldn't fly and had to swim to its resting site. (17HMR absent)

Last edited by Mike J on Thu Dec 14 2023 10:06, edited 1 time in total.
fenland piker
Roach
Roach

Post by fenland piker »

Miuras mouse or a Scout swimmer. Alternatively an unweighted shad of whatever size suits, rigged with a shallow screw head.
DaveGreenwood
Zander
Zander

Post by DaveGreenwood »

Mike J wrote: Thu Dec 14 2023 09:57 -
DaveGreenwood wrote: Thu Dec 14 2023 08:59 -
[quote=old_school post_id=820853 time=<a href="tel:1702539319">1702539319</a> user_id=5295]
[quote=DaveGreenwood post_id=820777 time=<a href="tel:1702481701">1702481701</a> user_id=138]

Do you advertise or should I PM you?

Steve Le maitre wrote: Thu Dec 14 2023 07:30 -

Yes Steve they are always there, I watched one the other day and it ate so much it couldn't fly and had to swim to its resting site. (17HMR absent)

Best to PM MIke
bobn
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by bobn »

Another vote for Manns -1.
Adam F
Perch
Perch

Post by Adam F »

I fish quite a few waters such as what you’ve described Mike.

Firm favourites of mine are; extra slow sinking glide baits, bassharassers, fox mega mouse or an Iron Claw double curl on a 5g lead - the latter are particularly lethal once the temperatures drop. They have a very subtle action but my god do they move the bigger fish. :thumbs:
Adam Ford - Pike fanatic!
Graham Benyon
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Graham Benyon »

Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

I've fished a number of waters over the years where you want something that'll work and stay shallow... the most effective are easily shallow working glide or jerk baits. Loads to choose from, we all have our favourites. Shallow Busters or floating Sliders catch everywhere and are lures that are easy to find. Less so, but very effective would be good old Hammers, Undertakers, dive-rise or chop baits like the Sandcat are good. One shallow lure that I do really well with is the Beavort Tuben, it's an utter pike magnet. People mention the Manns 1 minus, yep, if you have a lot of small pike around, a chrome one of those will catch the lot. You basically want floating or suspending lures, not a sinking (unless very slow sinking) or one that'll need to be fished too quickly to stay shallow.
Piking Plonker
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Many thanks gentemen.
Some of those above are unavailable here but an EU shop has said they will ship lures to me.

Many of the lures suggested I have somewhere, its just finding them. Others I will source and buy a selection. Dave is also making me a custom special.
I also have a selection of blue water surface lures, big poppers, and tuna sticks, thinking thinking.

Q; Those big bombs the carpers use really cause a disturbance when they rip them back, has anyone heard of a pike attacking them?

Yest I tried to catch a livey and gave up after 3 hours of nothing, resorted to a marginal dead for another blank.

peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Mike recent experiences remind me of advantages of Miuras mouse and other big softbaits; can still catch with bits of weed and debris, common in such venues. Whereas debris kills the actions of “subtler” jerk and hard baits.
Peter Newman
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

peteren wrote: Fri Dec 29 2023 11:15 -
Mike recent experiences remind me of advantages of Miuras mouse and other big softbaits; can still catch with bits of weed and debris, common in such venues. Whereas debris kills the actions of “subtler” jerk and hard baits.

A lure mad friend made a Mouse out of a bit of old broom hsndle, and caught on it to :grin:

A big Robinson is getting a swim today along with some Jerks, Berks and Westins.

:cheers:

AndyLarkins
Perch
Perch

Post by AndyLarkins »

I've found a slowly worked Shallow Invader takes some beating under those conditions Mike... or a Shallow Manta for a quicker more erratic retrieve.
Image http://www.canterburypac.blogspot.com
"C'MON!.. Ya like a fat girl in red shoes" Andy Brown 2015