Jerk bait for deeper swims

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Rammer223
Roach
Roach

Jerk bait for deeper swims

Post by Rammer223 »

Local canal around the ten feet mark recommended me some jerks for deeper swims or ones that can take added weight whilst retaining their proper action around the 70gr mark although rod rated 40-130 thanks lee
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Re: Jerk bait for deeper swims

Post by Steve Dennington »

The Strike Pro Guppie Jr. sinks fairly quickly and stays deeper than a lot of glidebaits.

Glidebaits aren't easy to add weight to without upsetting the action, but you can try fitting larger split rings and going up a hook size. A custom weighted fast sink lure is also an option.
Chico 48 PAC
Chub
Chub

Post by Chico 48 PAC »

You will not get a deeper acting glidebait working properly at that depth, you can have a bait working at that depth but it will not work as you want it. Having a bait deep is better than not having it there at all though. I would say that I would be surprised that a pike sitting at 10' would not come up to a bait running at 5'.

A fast sinking glidebait will never have the same action as a medium or slow sink of the same model. You can add weight but the chances are it will kill the action you want, as I said being there is sometimes the priority.
JOIN THE PAC- http://www.pacgb.co.uk/join.html
www.chicoslures.co.uk - if you use FC for pike then do not use me.
pikin
Perch
Perch

Post by pikin »

I do well on a similar sounding venue by throwing 12 inch crankbaits.
Paul Ikin
Rammer223
Roach
Roach

Post by Rammer223 »

Yes guppie junior is about my best performer currently in that venue just wondered if I was missing a lure from my arsenal what large cranks are you running I have big jointed Rapala somewhere I like lures that hang on the pause
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Chico 48 PAC wrote: Thu Apr 25 2024 11:00 -
A fast sinking glidebait will never have the same action as a medium or slow sink of the same model. You can add weight but the chances are it will kill the action you want, as I said being there is sometimes the priority.
True. I've made some fast sinkers for reservoir fishing and they go left and right, but not with the same zip as a slow sink and are best worked off the reel or with short pulls instead of tap and slack.
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Or just settle for soft plastics weighted to suit.. they will catch but maybe not so much fun?
Peter Newman
Rammer223
Roach
Roach

Post by Rammer223 »

No doubt big soft plastics work just prefer my jerkbait more fun for sure
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

Jerk bait is a generic term, as Chico says gliders start to be effected by Depth.
Plenty of sliders out there..
john hufton
Roach
Roach

Post by john hufton »

I find Buster jerks run a bit deeper than others.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

I wouldn't call ten feet deep, and as Chico said there's a good chance that pike near the bottom at that depth will come up to a lure, especially if the water's clear. I've seen pike rise a lot further to lures.

And as Tractor Steve said, there's more to jerkbaits than side-to-side lures. For example a Burt weighted to sink will get down as deep as you like and catch fish.
Rammer223
Roach
Roach

Post by Rammer223 »

Buster jerk is my number two lure never used a burt from what you are saying guess they have to be tuned
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Rammer223 wrote: Fri Apr 26 2024 13:37 -
Buster jerk is my number two lure never used a burt from what you are saying guess they have to be tuned
Weighted Burts don't need any tuning to get 8 to 10ft. They're pull baits and not that heavy a lure, so you can drop braid diameter with those to get an extra few feet. Any deeper and you can put a little weight on the nose and they will retain a decent action which will catch pike all day long. There's another thread all about that, worth a read.

I'd say 10ft is quite shallow, but I guess it's all relative.

I beg to differ on some opinions, as you can work some glide or 'jerk' baits just fine down to 15ft or even deeper. I'd say of the lures that are currently available, the 120g Guppie is a very good choice for that. Just gentle taps or spin stops after it hits the depth and it walks just fine - but don't go too fast or it will ride up in the water column. I find they're really effective if you want that kind of action a bit lower in the water, I also started to use them target casting on livescope for suspended fish. The fast sink 6" Pigs that Andy Lush sold would also do that very well, lucky me as I still have some of those. Other lures I can think of, the Scout Swimmer in 105g will work OK down to 15ft plus, but again, you need to work them a bit slower to maintain depth. Anyway, there are quite a few heavier glide baits that will work fine at reasonable depths. To be fair, if you need to go proper deep and in my book that's 25 to 30ft, then weighted soft plastics are the best choice.
Piking Plonker
Rammer223
Roach
Roach

Post by Rammer223 »

Thanks mark for taking the time to answer in such detail I do like my guppies
Tony McTaggart
Chub
Chub

Post by Tony McTaggart »

Following on from Mark's post.....
If you can still find them and they do pop up from time to time, bikini baits tripwire, deep down phantoms, readily available is the buster swim etc are fantastic and stay wear you want them.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Tony McTaggart wrote: Fri Apr 26 2024 20:30 -
If you can still find them and they do pop up from time to time, bikini baits tripwire, deep down phantoms, readily available is the buster swim etc are fantastic and stay wear you want them.
Tripwire is resin I believe, but the Bikini Turmoil X goes deep too, if you can find one. I could be wrong, but I think Jed made those from hickory, which is a timber you won't find many lures made from, but it was clearly effective.
Tony McTaggart
Chub
Chub

Post by Tony McTaggart »

Steve Dennington wrote: Fri Apr 26 2024 21:07 -
Tony McTaggart wrote: Fri Apr 26 2024 20:30 -
Tripwire is resin I believe, but the Bikini Turmoil X goes deep too, if you can find one. I could be wrong, but I think Jed made those from hickory, which is a timber you won't find many lures made from, but it was clearly effective.
It was Steve....turmoil X do pop up every now and again but like most classic baits go for pennies now. (It's a whole new generation now) :laughs:
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

I have some fast sink Cobbs round nose gliders that will work down at 10' and deeper no problem at all. A sinking Salmo Fatso will work that deep too on a slower retrieve. Head weighted Burts and Tail weighted Suicks will get to those depths no probs.
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

Not much to add, I wouldn’t want run too deep in a canal, keep above them, Buster jerks with the bearings inside add noise to shape and will bring any pike off the bottom.