Something's not right (anchor rope)

For all anglers who like to go afloat to catch their fish
Danoutdoors
Corporal
Corporal

Something's not right (anchor rope)

Postby Danoutdoors » Fri Aug 11 2017 16:56

So in the interests of buy the best I can do so I don't later have to change to something better I bought a lead rope for my front anchor line, from reading through some old posts on here I knew I probably wanted about 50m so I could anchor up to about 20 ft so I got a 50m 16mm leaded rope off e bay, it's a bloody beast, I've stretched it out in the garden and tried to coil it the best I can, it's certainly not easy to get it anywhere near a tidy coil, where have I gone wrong? 16mm too thick and 50m too long? or will it all come good when I'm in the boat? Thanks

craigbeverley
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Something's not right (anchor rope)

Postby craigbeverley » Fri Aug 11 2017 17:08

All come good in the boat. Laying out in the garden is like waving a 12 foot rod around in the house. Once you start paying it out in a good depth of water it'll soon disappear out of the bucket.
Dutch uncle.

Danoutdoors
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Danoutdoors » Fri Aug 11 2017 17:10

Bucket!? More like a wheely bin, thanks Craig! Little more reassured I haven't dropped a b*****k! 👍

Daniel
Major
Major

Postby Daniel » Fri Aug 11 2017 18:21

16mm seems big. Pretty sure most on here use 10mm.

dannytaylor
Colonel
Colonel

Postby dannytaylor » Fri Aug 11 2017 20:11

16mm is thick. I use 12mm old static climbing rope. Excuse my ignorance but whats lead rope?

Danoutdoors
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Danoutdoors » Fri Aug 11 2017 20:25

It has 10 m of lead threaded through it at the anchor end, so you don't need chain, think 16 is thick but presume it's so they can fit the lead in, going to give it a try n see how I get on, 👍

dannytaylor
Colonel
Colonel

Postby dannytaylor » Fri Aug 11 2017 20:52

:thumbs:

BillCollins
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby BillCollins » Fri Aug 11 2017 21:40

16mm..?. :eek:
For anchoring a Ferry, is it..?
I've never gone above 10mm braided for any boat, including some hefty jobs (Seahogs etc) never had a problem.?.. :shrug:

andrew_nagel
Colonel
Colonel

Postby andrew_nagel » Fri Aug 11 2017 22:16

Fit a stainless swivel between the rope and anchor - it helps stop twist developing when pulling it up. 50m should be good for anchoring in 45' so you've got plenty. It's better to have some extra incase it gets proper rough.

Will Smith
Captain
Captain

Postby Will Smith » Fri Aug 11 2017 23:02

Dan, I wish you had mentioned this the other day when I asked you if you needed anything, I told you I had loads of stuff lying around, I have a couple of coils of ex steeplejack 12mm climbing rope that would have done the job.
16 mm is a bit on the heavy side and it will take up a lot of room, will it coil up into a builders trug ? Thats what I use sometimes for stowing ropes.
Give me a shout before you go spending any more of your money, I am sure you could put it to better use than buying stuff for Ariork.

Will.

Edward.P.A.C
Colonel
Colonel
Location: "Great???" Yarmouth..............A truly scary place

Postby Edward.P.A.C » Sat Aug 12 2017 03:57

Daniel wrote:
16mm seems big. Pretty sure most on here use 10mm.
:eek: :eek:

16mm.........you could moor the Arc Royal with that... :pale:

The only reason you need to go for a bigger diameter is for ease of handling. A 6mm braided rope has a BS of around 1100kg, or if you don't think thats enough an 8mm has 1700kg. more than enough for any small fishing boat.

I have 8mm braided on my winch and my boat is probably one of the heavier ones you are likely to see. A SeaHog or similar won't require anything heavier than 8mm rope........

If you really want to go with lead core, you can get 10mm. Which will be (a lot) easier to handle :wink:
“The only way to avoid pîssîng people off is to do nothing important.” — Oliver Emberton

Danoutdoors
Corporal
Corporal

Postby Danoutdoors » Sat Aug 12 2017 10:33

Oh bugger, I've e mailed P&O to see if they want it for one of their cruise ships, I'm going to give it a go and see how I get on with it, I can always weigh it in 🤣 Also this is the reason we take a mate with us right? I'll be sure to tell him he's doing it wrong if it's not working.

Will there should be enough room in the front to stash it, I'm still after some morring ropes and a rope for a mud weight, if you have them I'd greatfully buy them off you?thanks

Thanks for your replies folks.

Mike J
Major
Major

Postby Mike J » Sun Aug 13 2017 10:30

A 6m boat can be towed with 30lb mono if the knots are good.
I have tied up to ocean bouys with 50lb mono for hours, just snapping it off when needed
When achoring a 38ft I only employed 18mm 4ply plus chain.

For a small inland boat I would use 8mm 4ply or anchorplait and 10ft of 1/8 - 3/32chain, swivel inbetween, and forget the 'lead rope' which sold as 'lead line' and used in commercial fishing.

As a rule of thumb I would advise you always carry sufficient anchor rope ie; 6times max depth of the water, always deploy depth x 3 when anchoring, use a breakaway link between the anchor stock and chain and carry a spare length of chain plus shackles.

JonahJones
Colonel
Colonel

Postby JonahJones » Sun Aug 13 2017 12:51

This is my rear anchor set up, it's a bit shorter in length and a bit lighter at 5kg than my 7.5k
kg front anchor.

I think you get the picture.

5kg Back anchor.jpg

It all sits coiled in a builders bucket when in the boat. It's a bit dirtier now :laughs:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BREXIT !! Now lets get rid of the BBC

2015 Scottish (Kayak) Predator Championships - Biggest Perch 44cm
2016 Llangorse European Kayak Predator Championships - Winner

Scott
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Scott » Tue Aug 15 2017 17:33

I usem16mm rope(no lead)but with chain on bow anchor. As Edward PAC explained and I myself use it for ease of handling. It does get hard going -2 and wind chill plus battering with rain/sleet , bow anchor isn't so bad but I use heavy mud weight on stern so a bigger gage rope is far more ease to lift. Like with all boating , it comes in time of experience and try out what suits your needs.

Duncan Holmes
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Duncan Holmes » Tue Aug 15 2017 19:42

Scott wrote:
I usem16mm rope(no lead)but with chain on bow anchor. As Edward PAC explained and I myself use it for ease of handling. It does get hard going -2 and wind chill plus battering with rain/sleet , bow anchor isn't so bad but I use heavy mud weight on stern so a bigger gage rope is far more ease to lift. Like with all boating , it comes in time of experience and try out what suits your needs.
"Like with all boating , it comes in time of experience and try out what suits your needs. "
" You are a c*ck of the 1st Degree" Lee7499

Return to “Boat Fishing Forum”