Lost rod ...

For all anglers who like to go afloat to catch their fish
keith the piker
Private
Private

Lost rod ...

Postby keith the piker » Tue Dec 05 2017 18:02

In a completely stupid and unforgivable moment, whilst trolling around on a rather large NW Lake which may or may not start with "W" I managed to lose a rod over the side. It was attached at the time to a small pike which I had taken on a deep trolled lure - a freak accident which has never happened (or anything like it) in many years of boat fishing. I was distressed for the fate of the fish of course but would also like the tackle back if anyone on here should dredge it up. This happened two weeks ago.

If, in the unlikely event of it being snagged in hundreds of acres of water, anyone recovers it I will obviously be able to list the details of the kit. It was all very expensive, serious, trolling kit ... there will also be a generous reward for that person's honesty ... I now appreciate why using a lanyard and/or putting some floating material on the rod is a good idea ... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Fully expecting a severe bashing round the head for this, but hey ho ...

Happy Hayes
Captain
Captain

Re: Lost rod ...

Postby Happy Hayes » Tue Dec 05 2017 18:25

Ouch that hurt

Fingers crossed

keith the piker
Private
Private

Postby keith the piker » Tue Dec 05 2017 19:11

Hurt my pride mostly ... been pike fishing since 1965 (I'm actually only 35 years old, it is a miracle of nature) with the last 15 years on big glacials with nothing like this happening. Entirely my own fault.

Carlperkins
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby Carlperkins » Tue Dec 05 2017 19:12

I had a rod go over a couple of weeks ago
Luckily I got it back and both trolling rods have foam up to the first eye.
Not pretty but atleast I should get it back if it happens again
REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE AN ENGLISHMAN, AND HAVE CONSEQUENTLY WON FIRST IN THE LOTTERY OF LIFE

Cecil Rhodes

dannytaylor
Colonel
Colonel

Postby dannytaylor » Tue Dec 05 2017 20:33

Watched my mate go to cast a rod from the boat, he'd forgot to take the bail arm off and just threw the whole lot in. Asked why he had done that then p****d my sides :laughs:

(The OP you ain't getting that back :wave: )

Andy Tibbott
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Andy Tibbott » Tue Dec 05 2017 20:56

A good few years back my brother mounted a boat rest round the wrong way without realising and put my rod in it ready to start a trolling. My 3lb Harrison Ballista and GT6010 are now firmly planted somewhere in the silt on the river Yare.

Scott
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Scott » Tue Dec 05 2017 21:12

I lost a rod anchored up. Tried to hook it with bulldawg them tried just trebles and 4oz weights no joy, my guess was I was on top of it too much. After a good while and dark I marked off gps them went back week later and anchored 30ft off it. After a after about 20 mins casting I caught the line and dragged it up. I was very well pleased.

Good luck with rod finding.

BillCollins
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby BillCollins » Tue Dec 05 2017 22:03

In many many years of fishing I've never lost a rod from a boat, although I did throw one in (never to be seen again..) during a moment of exasperation/anger, having just lost a very big pike right at the side. I have lost a few other things from boats though, including a brand new Minolta camera (£250 about 25 years ago) which had about 3 photos taken when it disappeared.
Hope you get your gear back, but you will need to be extremely lucky.

andrew_nagel
Colonel
Colonel

Postby andrew_nagel » Tue Dec 05 2017 22:09

I lost a DLST P3 and Shimmy 4500B over the side the first time I took my young son. Luckily we were float trolling lives, so we rowed to the float, and after a comical game of chasing it round (lively live) managed to get hold of the line. Of course the bait runner was engaged so I ended up pulling up 300m of line before the rod came to the top. My son still pulls my leg about it now. It's the only 5 minutes of my time piking where I've been praying not to get a run!

SHAUN B
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby SHAUN B » Tue Dec 05 2017 22:09

pm the details i fish it regularly and no one or two that troll a lot ,you never know it might turn up
IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED TRY ,TRY AGAIN !!

Robbie
Private
Private

Postby Robbie » Tue Dec 05 2017 23:45

Lost about 700 euros worth of kit sea fishing last year to a freak wave. Just because s**t happens doesn't mean it stings any less. Hope you have some luck retrieving your gear.

Will Smith
Captain
Captain

Postby Will Smith » Wed Dec 06 2017 00:11

A friend of mine lost a brand new Minn Kota first time out, it was not tied on and he decide to open up the outboard and it felt off, unfortunately he was not sure exactly where it fell off so we had no chance of getting it back.
As someone just said "s**t happens", good luck in getting your stuff back.
Will.

Mike J
Major
Major

Postby Mike J » Wed Dec 06 2017 01:51

If anything goes over the side immediatly cut the engine and hit the MOB button on your GPS.
This will lock the position and help recovery immediately following or at a later date.
To find the item go to the MOB location, adjust your GPS to the highest zoom attainable, and start very slow figure of 8s with the intersection of the 8 being the MOB mark.
Steadily move the 8 to one side and the other always ensuring the plot lines are close together, aim for 1m at a time,
This is where a high def/zoom really proves its worth.
To effectively drag for the item the the hook/s need to be level with the bottom which you achieve by having a 4-5ft length of medium weight chain between the rope and the hook and employing a very slow speed.

There is a rule on sportfishing boats that no rod goes into a rod holder without a safety line being attached first, now you know why.

BillCollins
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby BillCollins » Wed Dec 06 2017 02:53

I was using my mate's boat earlier this year, I was pulling up the front anchor when the rope mysteriously became detached and the 7.5kg plough anchor and 20ft of chain disappeared into 25ft. Luckily there was a H block to hand on the shelf which I immediately chucked over the front. I then drifted back and forth around the marker, "fishing" with the other anchor. It took about 15 mins but I picked up on the chain and so a happy ending. :thumbs:

Edward.P.A.C
Colonel
Colonel
Location: "Great???" Yarmouth..............A truly scary place

Postby Edward.P.A.C » Wed Dec 06 2017 05:57

I’ve (almost) lost count if the things I’ve lost,dropped overboard. From BBB, landing nets, custom made SS anchors (very expensive :sad: )rods, pole sections, rod rests, scales........none of which I’ve ever seen again :cry:

However I have managed to pull up, not once, but twice electric cables (heavy duty ones at that) on the very water you allude to. This was from 40+ ft of water.

So as Shaun says, you never know. If you give him, and a couple of the other regulars on here/there the rough location they might be able to help. And you just might get lucky :wink:
“The only way to avoid pîssîng people off is to do nothing important.” — Oliver Emberton

cookiesdaughtersdad
Brigadier
Brigadier

Postby cookiesdaughtersdad » Wed Dec 06 2017 07:41

Lost a rod off a boat just the one, went back the next day and luckily managed to hook up with the main line with small pike still attached, lucky me but even luckier little pike!

Cheers Alan
Croftus, may I direct you to the signature of Duncan Holmes!

keith the piker
Private
Private

Postby keith the piker » Wed Dec 06 2017 11:29

Thanks everyone ... I will PM with some details as you suggest. It is reassuring to not be the only one to have achieved this feat! I did the GPS trick etc (I have a Helix 10) but the rod was of course attached to a moving pike so could have ended up anywhere ... I, too, have pulled up a couple of heavy duty electric cables after a great deal of heavy work with the 200ft of anchor rope on the said water ... the other thing I dragged up once was a clay ball about 10 feet in diameter ... luckily it fell off just as it got to the boat.

I don't have a realistic expectation of getting this kit back, but worth a shot I guess.

keith the piker
Private
Private

Postby keith the piker » Wed Dec 06 2017 11:42

Actually, as the water is by now an open secret, I may as well say where and what was lost ...

The rod is a Daiwa Nev Fickling Dictator 10ft boat, reel ABU Ambassadeur 6500 CT with 65lb Power Pro, ET lure trace and a Bucher 8 inch Depth Raider in green.

I'll use a bit of code re location just in case there is anyone not having guessed the pretty obvious water by now ... I was at MG, over 40 ft of water, off the red buoy at the North end. As I say, though, it could have been dragged far away from there. I'm having nightmares thinking about the poor unfortunate fish but I should have tied the bloody rod on in the first place! I actually had it right next to the boat and put the reel in free spool with the ratchet on for a couple of seconds as I cleared another rod out of the way before unhooking the fish in the water. Just like I have done a 1000 times before. The line must have caught around the handle or something and the whole lot flipped over the side in one graceful and very fast movement ...

dannytaylor
Colonel
Colonel

Postby dannytaylor » Wed Dec 06 2017 12:43

Will Smith wrote:
A friend of mine lost a brand new Minn Kota first time out, it was not tied on and he decide to open up the outboard and it felt off, unfortunately he was not sure exactly where it fell off so we had no chance of getting it back.
Will.
How do you not tie an electric engine on properly, that's just daft :scratch:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby davelumb » Wed Dec 06 2017 12:49

Will Smith wrote:
Will.
I know someone who found a rather wet brand new Minn Kota. :laughs:

Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Andrew Croft » Wed Dec 06 2017 12:58

dannytaylor wrote:
Will Smith wrote:
Will.
Im wondering how you lose an electric engine am no expert but they aint exactly very powerful :shrug:
Let me ask you one question. Is your money that good. Will it buy you forgiveness. Do you think that it could. I think you will find When your death takes its toll All the money you made Will never buy back your soul.

Will Smith
Captain
Captain

Postby Will Smith » Wed Dec 06 2017 20:01

dannytaylor wrote:
Will Smith wrote:
Will.
Danny, It was clamped onto the of the transom (off centre) in the usual way with the two butterfly screw clamps, but he forgot to secure (tie off) the safety lanyard, when he powered away with the petrol outboard, the electric engine was still in the down position and in the water, the force of the water against the motor at speed flipped it off the transom and into the water, never to be seen again. if it had been tied on he would probably still have it today.
I have seen them move before but never flip off altogether so he must have been fairly motoring.
Does that make more sense ?

Will.

Will Smith
Captain
Captain

Postby Will Smith » Wed Dec 06 2017 20:04

:laughs:
davelumb wrote:
Will Smith wrote:
Will.
if it was found in a Loch in the south west of Scotland Dave send me his number :laughs: .

Will.

Will Smith
Captain
Captain

Postby Will Smith » Wed Dec 06 2017 20:05

Andrew Croft wrote:
dannytaylor wrote:
Will Smith wrote:
Will.
Im wondering how you lose an electric engine am no expert but they aint exactly very powerful :shrug:
Andrew, my reply to Dany should explain.

Will.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby davelumb » Wed Dec 06 2017 20:07

Will Smith wrote:
:laughs:
davelumb wrote:
Will Smith wrote:
Will.
if it was found in a Loch in the south west of Scotland Dave send me his number :laughs: .

Will.
'Fraid not.

dannytaylor
Colonel
Colonel

Postby dannytaylor » Thu Dec 07 2017 13:44

Will Smith wrote:
dannytaylor wrote:
Will Smith wrote:
Will.
Danny, It was clamped onto the of the transom (off centre) in the usual way with the two butterfly screw clamps, but he forgot to secure (tie off) the safety lanyard, when he powered away with the petrol outboard, the electric engine was still in the down position and in the water, the force of the water against the motor at speed flipped it off the transom and into the water, never to be seen again. if it had been tied on he would probably still have it today.
I have seen them move before but never flip off altogether so he must have been fairly motoring.
Does that make more sense ?

Will.

That's mad! :bounce:

kristian
Major
Major

Postby kristian » Thu Dec 07 2017 16:12

dannytaylor wrote:
Watched my mate go to cast a rod from the boat, he'd forgot to take the bail arm off and just threw the whole lot in. Asked why he had done that then p****d my sides :laughs:

I've done that with a brand new Lumby Trickster H and Okuma Komodo reel, had an original rep on too. Over £400's worth of gear. :cry:

It took me over an hour but I got it back on the 3rd "this is my last cast for it". Hooked through one of the eyes :rock:

dannytaylor
Colonel
Colonel

Postby dannytaylor » Thu Dec 07 2017 18:30

kristian wrote:
dannytaylor wrote:

I've done that with a brand new Lumby Trickster H and Okuma Komodo reel, had an original rep on too. Over £400's worth of gear. :cry:

It took me over an hour but I got it back on the 3rd "this is my last cast for it". Hooked through one of the eyes :rock:
Lucky t**t :laughs: :wink:

Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Postby Ben » Thu Dec 07 2017 21:39

I also fish the big lake and do a lot of trolling, I’ll make contact if I happen to find it.

I’ll let Gordie know as well, although he’ll want a reward if he finds it and it’ll be minus the Depthraider!!
Wine for my men, we ride at dawn

bencarvosso
Captain
Captain

Postby bencarvosso » Thu Dec 07 2017 22:26

Last year on a local big lough a new rod / reel and 30 yards of braid and a sg 3d trout went over.
It was only my second outing on my new boat and a bit green to how to troll on my own etc
i marked the spot ans went back the next day, in my favour it was close to shore and had said amount of braid to lure out.
After 90s mins i was lucky to snag line and hand line it in.
It wasnt as expensive a rod but was delighted to get it back
Running Ledger Fishing Blog
http://www.bencarvosso.wordpress.com

Return to “Boat Fishing Forum”