Major
Major

Re: forceps

Postby MarkBerrisford » Sat Dec 02 2017 14:46

Bob Watson wrote:
MarkBerrisford wrote:
Arrived a couple of days ago.

Spot on, thanks for the heads up Mark :thumbs:
Glad you like them Bob they're a bargain compared to the fishing forceps and a lot better quality, got myself a couple more pairs as well😂
Search MB Custom Lures on Facebook

Nige Johns
Major
Major

Postby Nige Johns » Sat Dec 02 2017 14:50

Bob Watson wrote:
MarkBerrisford wrote:

Bob how big are the finger holes,I’ve got average sized hands but I don’t like to holes to be too big if you’ll pardon the inuendo

Bob Watson
Major
Major

Postby Bob Watson » Sat Dec 02 2017 14:59

Nige Johns wrote:
Bob Watson wrote:
MarkBerrisford wrote:

Bob how big are the finger holes,I’ve got average sized hands but I don’t like to holes to be too big if you’ll pardon the inuendo
forceps 1.jpg
forceps 2.jpg
Plenty of room for average size fingers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jamiepike
Private
Private

Postby Jamiepike » Sat Dec 02 2017 15:03

Nige Johns wrote:
Jamiepike wrote:
Hooooowwwww much ? £25
They look well made but ......
£25 Well spent if ye ask me...there well made strong they don't rust and there's a sharp cutter on it incase ye need to cut ur trace wire

andygregg
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby andygregg » Mon Dec 04 2017 16:24

Just got my 2 pair .they are as good as any I've seen for a long time.I'm going to order another 2 pair as spares lol.

Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Postby Kevin O'Keeffe » Mon Dec 04 2017 17:24

Mappie wrote:
dannytaylor wrote:
Do you mean the locking mechanism on the forceps? I like this function, especially when I go in through the gills on "deeper" hooked pike. Allows me to lock onto the hook, remove my fingers from the forceps then twist them, hooks pop out nice and easy. Apologies if in reading this wrong and teaching you to suck eggs :laughs: :handshake:
Yeah the locking mechanism, i allways instantly get rid of it. having my fingers in those holes and being locked up to the hook is a bad thing in my eyes. when the pike goes buck wild, then if i can get my fingers out in time. that would leave a 26cm long steel tool connected to the hook flapping about hitting gillrakers and doing more harm then good.

aint faulting anyone that uses them and its a lot of ifs, buts, and whens.
just feel the need for open fun discussion :guns: and i love sucking eggs.......

i prefer these all the way. 30cmish and a shorter 18cm one.
Me too.... 5 pairs in a set for £12 on the bay.
Love the hit!

lochhopper
Corporal
Corporal

Postby lochhopper » Thu Dec 07 2017 14:52

Jamiepike wrote:
"free those toothy critters quickly and safely - for you and the fish!"

The point looks scissor-sharp... not very safe for the fish :scratch:

Just a misleading photo?

Jamiepike
Private
Private

Postby Jamiepike » Sat Dec 09 2017 07:30

lochhopper wrote:
Jamiepike wrote:

Just a misleading photo?
That's a rubbish picture there no where near as pointed as they look on the link

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby davelumb » Sat Dec 09 2017 09:44

lochhopper wrote:
Jamiepike wrote:

Just a misleading photo?
It's just the lighting. They look the same shape as most forceps when you look closely.

Kev Berry
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby Kev Berry » Sat Dec 09 2017 10:17

Mappie wrote:
Wondering how many of you lads take off the "thing to keep them closed" I dont know how else to explain.

Cause I allways get ridd of those on tools like these. Since theres nothing worse then holding a hook with the grip end. fingers in the handleholes and a pike doing the crocroll... and you being unable to let go. Bad for pike and allso bad for the angler.
I usually only have to lock them if you get an awkward hook in the back of the clack, which isn't often. Mine don't get to do a crocodile roll cos they held properly so they cant do one.
If your forceps don't grip a hook hard enough without them locking then its a s***e pair.
The usual fishing forceps are mass produced Chinese rubbish, poorly made, sharp edges on the usually too small finger holes , poor locking and made of cheap stainless that rusts.
Some of the 10--12" ones are that flexible they no good at all and don't grip a hook properly even when locked .
why does anyone need 12" forceps? I have an 8" and a 9" pair that never let me down and are now about 25 years old (from when hospitals cleaned and re used their instruments)

I have also "acquired" some of the single use forceps that are used today in hospitals--not quite as good as the multi use ones but decent enough. Might be able to get some more soon.
(all the blood and snot will be cleaned off them :laughs: )
"I am proclaimed the font of all knowledge"---according to Dumb and Dumber

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby davelumb » Sat Dec 09 2017 10:29

why does anyone need 12" forceps? I have an 8" and a 9" pair that never let me down and are now about 25 years old (from when hospitals cleaned and re used their instruments)
I think it's because they are frightened to go in through the gill cover. My main pair is 6.5" (which I've had since the 1970s) and I have a 7" pair as back up plus a longer pair which I only use if I have forgotten the others.

Kev Berry
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby Kev Berry » Sat Dec 09 2017 10:39

davelumb wrote:
I think it's because they are frightened to go in through the gill cover. My main pair is 6.5" (which I've had since the 1970s) and I have a 7" pair as back up plus a longer pair which I only use if I have forgotten the others.
That's what I think as well Dave, but if you go through the gill cover you can easily twist a hook ---you cant very well from the front ---unless you pull very hard to pull the throat up which is something to avoid if possible.
Its so VERY easy to slip forceps through the gill cover, 12" forceps are actually rather fiddly to use.

If I remember I might do a video of how to unhook via the gill cover next time I'm out with Croc or Alan
"I am proclaimed the font of all knowledge"---according to Dumb and Dumber

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Postby davelumb » Sat Dec 09 2017 11:08

Kev Berry wrote:
davelumb wrote:
That's what I think as well Dave, but if you go through the gill cover you can easily twist a hook ---you cant very well from the front ---unless you pull very hard to pull the throat up which is something to avoid if possible.
Its so VERY easy to slip forceps through the gill cover, 12" forceps are actually rather fiddly to use.

If I remember I might do a video of how to unhook via the gill cover next time I'm out with Croc or Alan
That's my experience too. :thumbs:

And while we're at it. What are curved forceps all about? :laughs:

Return to “Tackle Forum”