Picking out the bigger Pike

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
smudger
Stickleback
Stickleback

Picking out the bigger Pike

Post by smudger »

Can it be as simple as chucking out a larger bait or is it about finding those sneaky little locations that prey would never suspect a thing. Will you still get them next to the shallower snaggy areas when the water temperature really starts to drop?
dave-newman
Chub
Chub

Re: Picking out the bigger Pike

Post by dave-newman »

All about location...... :thumbs:
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

And vac packed tench :grin:

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
dave-newman
Chub
Chub

Post by dave-newman »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote:
And vac packed tench :grin:

Cheers Alan
oooooooooo very naughty to a certain few match angler mates i have :shrug: , but where do i get some? :thumbs:
smudger
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by smudger »

Funnily enough the lakes have plenty of tench in them. Can you actually get tench dead baits anywhere?
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

I know it was on here a while ago the same thing was discussed, im still not convinced (entirely) that bigger baits equals bigger pike. been talking to a couple of oldies about 20 plussers taking wee black buzzer flies, oxo cubed size chunks of dead bait, and sticklebacks :eek:

put it past their face and if they want it they will have it regardless of size imo.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

smudger wrote:
Funnily enough the lakes have plenty of tench in them. Can you actually get tench dead baits anywhere?
Im not sure and I bet they would be expensive but the reference to tench as many on here will know is down to the "possibility" that someone pushed a tench down a pikes throat to make it weigh more and so they "picked out the bigger pike" :laughs: :roll:

(now you know face)

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
bluedog
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by bluedog »

Know wonder you can never catch small tench under a pound :wink:

Often found the good Pike waters hold good stocks of tench,

Regards Bluedog
Fenlandesox
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Fenlandesox »

the rule of thumb is deads produce bigger pike. i would keep on trucking and play the numbers game if you are allready catching. some waters only produce small pike remember. i would have one rod with a very large bait and one with a regular of live bait if i was really keen for a big one. normally around uk spring time (end of season) i go for my pb card and only fish big whole baits in the hope for a bigger fish. when its getting colder i just fish for anything pike wise. oh, and try bottom fished baits if you are not allready doing so. the internet would have you believe big fish are the norm but its not. my p.b. is 25.2 (fen drain fish) and have only had around 3 20+ excluding that one in almost 20 years and i consider myself lucky and am happy with that result in times where a sub 30 is a bit lame. maybe this weekend? good luck....
smudger
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by smudger »

Fenlandesox wrote:
the rule of thumb is deads produce bigger pike. i would keep on trucking and play the numbers game if you are allready catching. some waters only produce small pike remember. i would have one rod with a very large bait and one with a regular of live bait if i was really keen for a big one. normally around uk spring time (end of season) i go for my pb card and only fish big whole baits in the hope for a bigger fish. when its getting colder i just fish for anything pike wise. oh, and try bottom fished baits if you are not allready doing so. the internet would have you believe big fish are the norm but its not. my p.b. is 25.2 (fen drain fish) and have only had around 3 20+ excluding that one in almost 20 years and i consider myself lucky and am happy with that result in times where a sub 30 is a bit lame. maybe this weekend? good luck....
When you say fish on the bottom do you mean literally flat on the bottom or close and slightly popped up. When you fish flat on the bottom is bite indication different on the buzzers.
Marcusp
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Marcusp »

Its all about the right water. If they aint in there you wont catch them simple
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

Big baits can help but a smallish pike will still have a go at things almost it's own size.. when you get bigger pike on large baits, it's often because you fish that large bait in an area you suspect large pike will be! So location would be the important thing, chances are the large pike would have still taken a smaller bait fished in the same spot.
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly
Timbo1
Roach
Roach

Post by Timbo1 »

it depends on location and time of year...I've had a number of 20's on tiny smelt towards the tail of the season...some waters its a big mackerel tail that does the job..