Live/Dead bait pike fishing

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
jocki
Stickleback
Stickleback

Live/Dead bait pike fishing

Post by jocki »

Hello,

This summer/spring/autumn im gonna test live and dead bait fishing for the first time. Im living in Finland and will be fishing in a lake. I'll be using a baitcaster rod with a baitcaster reel. I've tried finding some guides on this but not found a good one. So if someone could teach me thoroughly or link some guides it would be appreciated!

Questions:

What hook and size should i use? I've read that people use treble hook and circle hooks. What is the advantages and disadvantages with these hooks?
What bobber should i use and what is the difference between bobbers? If i use a bobber with live bait wont the live bait pull the bobber under the surface?
How heavy sinkers should i use?
Should i use some kind of steel/titanium leader? And are there any special leaders for live/dead bait fishing? I've seen guides on people just tying a knot on the hook with the main wire but also read that you should use a steel/titanium leader.
What is the best way and how long will i be able to hold the live bait alive without purchasing aerator pump and stuff?

Sorry for asking alot of questions but i honestly couldnt find a guide explaining this thoroughly and focused on pike.

Thank you in advance guys!
Dennis M
Roach
Roach

Re: Live/Dead bait pike fishing

Post by Dennis M »

Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of piking,

Hook size depends on the size of bait you are using. For general live/deadbaiting, I use traces with trebles size 6s spaced 5cm apart, 4s spaced 7.5cm apart and 2s spaced 10cm apart. Then just look what fits the bait you're using. For small livebaits, up until 15cm roach, you can use a single number 4 treble stuck in between the head and the dorsal fin.
Never tried circle hooks so can't help you on that, but they have been discussed on this forum so just use the search option.

Float size wise, use something that won't be dragged under by the bait. 20g floats may suspend most deadbaits, but a 15cm live carp or trout can pull under a 30g float so you'll have to experiment with that.

The weights on the float should c*ck the float and let it sit up until the red marking on top. I usually pinch mine on the bottom of the uptrace.

Using a livebait, you simply MUST use an uptrace (as you call it leader) with a minimum length as long as the hook trace, simply because the baitfish can swim up and tangle in the mainline. Which will result in a bite-off if a pike grabs it. With deadbaits you don't have to do this, but I generally use the same tackle so I can't be bothered removing the uptrace, unless I want to present my bait really shallow.

Opinions on aerators are a bit split up, The first thing killing your livebaits in a classic livebait bucket won't be a lack of oxygen, it'll most likely be ammonia intoxication or stress. That said, I do usually use an aerator for transportation, and once on location, keep them in either a small keepnet, or just submerge the cage part of the bucket under water, after securing it with some rope.

Hope that answered all your questions. Remember to use the search option on this site, plenty of useful tips to be found.
jocki
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by jocki »

Thank you for your reply! But why use smaller hooks on larger bait fish? Shouldnt i use larger hooks on larger bait? Should the uptrace wire be thicker or the same as the hook trace? And how long uptrace and hook trace should i use? Im thinking of putting a crosslock on the uptrace so i can switch out the hook trace easily but is it okey to use a longer uptrace and shorter hook traces to save wire and easier to handle?
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Post by dannytaylor »

jocki wrote: Sun Apr 23 2017 01:17 -
Thank you for your reply! But why use smaller hooks on larger bait fish? Shouldnt i use larger hooks on larger bait? Should the uptrace wire be thicker or the same as the hook trace? And how long uptrace and hook trace should i use? Im thinking of putting a crosslock on the uptrace so i can switch out the hook trace easily but is it okey to use a longer uptrace and shorter hook traces to save wire and easier to handle?

:thumbs:
Dennis M
Roach
Roach

Post by Dennis M »

The general rule is to use bigger hooks on bigger baits, however, when fishing a small livie like a 10-15cm roach, instead of 2 hooks, it'll be better to just use one hook and I've found a single number 4 treble perfect for the job.

You can make the uptrace out of the same wire as your hooklink. The only time your uptrace will ever get kinked is when you get a tangle, which rarely happens to me.

My uptraces are usually 60cm long with a swivel on one end, and a duo lock snap on the other end, with the traces itself being 55cm long.
Never had any problems with this system, but can't say I've experimented much with using a shorter hooklink when using an uptrace.
In theory, it should still be safe, but it'll hinder the movement of the lifebait a bit.
jocki
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by jocki »

Dennis M wrote: Mon Apr 24 2017 22:38 -
The general rule is to use bigger hooks on bigger baits, however, when fishing a small livie like a 10-15cm roach, instead of 2 hooks, it'll be better to just use one hook and I've found a single number 4 treble perfect for the job.

You can make the uptrace out of the same wire as your hooklink. The only time your uptrace will ever get kinked is when you get a tangle, which rarely happens to me.

My uptraces are usually 60cm long with a swivel on one end, and a duo lock snap on the other end, with the traces itself being 55cm long.
Never had any problems with this system, but can't say I've experimented much with using a shorter hooklink when using an uptrace.
In theory, it should still be safe, but it'll hinder the movement of the lifebait a bit.
Thanks for the help! I have everything except the wire and crimps. Im thinking of buying the AFW 0,46mm 7x7 stainless steel wire. But what crimps should i use? The smallest one i can find is 1mm double barrel. And i read that the crimps should match the wire so do i have to find a 0,46mm crimp or is it okey to use like a 1.0-1.3mm crimps?
Dennis M
Roach
Roach

Post by Dennis M »

Trial and error, you want to be able to fit the wire 3 times through the crimp. The tighter the fit, the better
I'd try something like ~1.2mm, might need more or less depending on brand.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

jocki wrote: Sat May 06 2017 13:37 -
Dennis M wrote: Mon Apr 24 2017 22:38 -

Thanks for the help! I have everything except the wire and crimps. Im thinking of buying the AFW 0,46mm 7x7 stainless steel wire. But what crimps should i use? The smallest one i can find is 1mm double barrel. And i read that the crimps should match the wire so do i have to find a 0,46mm crimp or is it okey to use like a 1.0-1.3mm crimps?

I use AFW in 40lb and do a knotless knot on the hooks and use two crimps on the swivel/loop going through three times on the second crimp.

Cheers ALan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Dennis M
Roach
Roach

Post by Dennis M »

Should be fine then, best of luck trying it out on misses pike.
jocki
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by jocki »

I bought the 1,2mm now. Hope it works. Thanks for the help!