New to forum advice on canal

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Mrdiglit
Stickleback
Stickleback

New to forum advice on canal

Post by Mrdiglit »

Hi all

New to the forum and new to predator fishing . I recently kitted myself out with a light lure set up jig and ned fishing which I will be using on my local Leeds and Liverpool Canal which is parbold Wigan area . Just wondering if anyone got any tips has I will be targeting perch.
Just wondering what size of perch the l&l canal holds? . ( I will be fishing with light wire has pike common so I have all tools and mat needed to keep greatest care with fish and myself )
Also if anyone else got any other good venues for large perch in north west 🙏?

Cheers
0ddball
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Re: New to forum advice on canal

Post by 0ddball »

Can't say for up your end, but further down by Skipton I do alright for perch. 2lb'ers are fairly common, I've had just a couple just short of 3lb and I know others who have had around 3.5lb.

I never had much luck with ned rigs or anything dragged across the bottom, you just tend to go from snag to snag. I catch well on a basic shad/jighead combo. Cast out, let it hit the bottom, then repeated slow lift and drop motion, letting it's tail flutter on the drop. Move the rod tip about 12" and lift, not jerk.

If you know they are there but you aren't catching, scale it down to something like a 40mm shad and 2g size 4/6 jighead. It can take lots of walking and time to track them down as they seem to move big distances up and down the canal with the seasons. So where you catch one week may be dead for the rest of the year. Don't waste too much time in one place, if they are there it should be obvious within a few casts.
Mrdiglit
Stickleback
Stickleback

Re: New to forum advice on canal

Post by Mrdiglit »

This is brilliant thank you ! Well I have set up some weedless gunki whiz 5cm which I have hooked weedless with a 2g weight so it don’t drop like a stone .
Also the ned rig I have hook weedless and put hook higher up in the bait instead of the bottom.
My plan is to try a few methods and build confidence but I agree on shad tactics I will be starting with .

On location my plan Is to do a lot of walking that was one of the main reasons for me actually getting into this fishing . Sick of being sitting waiting for bites I want get moving and enjoy the surroundings and the walk so it’s not all about the catching for me . And hopefully I find a gem of a spot along my travels!