Budget lure rod

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Aethelbald
Stickleback
Stickleback

Budget lure rod

Post by Aethelbald »

Hello Pikers.

My first post on the forum. Was previously fly fishing, for 40 years, but since moving to the Cotswolds a few years ago I've switched to coarse fishing. Mostly on the Warwickshire Avon, where my chub and perch fishing is often rudely interrupted by Mr Pike.

So on the basis that if you can't beat them, join them, I want to embrace pike fishing and need a rod. I thought an 8ft 10-40g rod would be about the right rod for the size of pike I've encountered (and in one case, landed), which is no more than about 36" (or 12lbs-ish?). 8ft will help me steer a fish away from bankside vegetation, as I won't be wading.

I'd welcome suggestions for a lure rod to get me started - budget about £65.00.

While I don't intend to make pike my primary focus, I do have traces, pliers, unhooking mat, gloves, etc., and I understand how to unhook and handle a pike. Just saying that so you know that even if my pike fishing is 'casual' as it were, I take fish care seriously.

Thanks,
A.
norwich lad
Chub
Chub

Re: Budget lure rod

Post by norwich lad »

The Wychwood Agitator lure rods are good value, about 45-50 quid. the bait rods they make are highly thought of so id think the spin rods will be decent. Welcome to the forum, im sure a few others will give an alternative view on rods.
Lee Davison,Period Furniture Restoration,Carpentry.in Norfolk.

What You Caught mate, Nothing,Won't fish Here Again!
Taffypiker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Taffypiker »

Shimano FX XT

Quite pokey for the price

Abu Tormentor
Piker1875
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Piker1875 »

I've been using a Daiwa ninja rod for the last few years it's rated up to 60g im sure it was about £50 had fish up to high doubles and it's coped fine