Ferox

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Ferox

Post by zodiac »

Come across this photo from about 15 years ago.
I'm looking at it wondering what signifies it as a ferox rather than a big brown trout. There's lots of differing and conflicting info as to whether they are genetically different or the same species, some of which just develop differently. This to me looks like a very big trout rather than a ferox. ( it was 14lb)
Was caught on mackerel just fishing from the bank.
It's a cracker of a fish regardless of what it is!
17130140215123389450247418383811.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by zodiac on Sat Apr 13 2024 14:15, edited 1 time in total.
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Ferox

Post by zodiac »

I should add that I was taking the photo! My mate caught it.
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

Big glacial loch ?
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

Aye. Although was in a fairly shallow basin.
Davecott83
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Davecott83 »

I always assumed as soon as they start preying on fish they’re classed as ferox
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

Davecott83 wrote: Sat Apr 13 2024 19:15 -
I always assumed as soon as they start preying on fish they’re classed as ferox

Not necessarily. I've had wild brownies less than 2lb on deadbaits. In fact I remember a spell on a trossachs loch where a smelt as bait almost guaranteed you a trout. I wouldn't class any of those fish as ferox.
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

How we started doing it was any Brown trout caught from a Large Glacial Loch ,Lough ,Lake over 3 lbs taken on a large lure or deadbait can be classed as a ferox. That not science but its the best as anglers we can come up with and the scientists agree with the method .
These big lochs don't really produce the big browns unless they go on a fish diet even though they sometimes take a wee fly ( but so do pike) .
Lots more stuff on Google these days with the real scientific stuff concerning these fish .

FEROX 85 GROUP
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

Reading a piece there, it even suggests that what constitutes a ferox can differ from loch to loch. In a couple of studies, the ferox were genetically different from the standard smaller trout, but on others they shared the same genetics but behaved differently in terms of their feeding and breeding behaviour. It's quite fascinating and I don't think there's a definitive answer to the question. I suppose the 'non scientific ' way you suggested is as good as it gets for now.
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

There was ferox from if I remember correctly Lough Melvin shared the same DNA as Loch Laggan ferox.
Have a look for some of Ron Greers stuff on Loch Laidon.
Gallapagos Trout i have it but no idea how I could post it.

FEROX 85 GROUP
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

FEROX 85 GROUP
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

A bit like big headed and narrow headed eels, only on a smaller and more local scale.
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

fergie68 wrote: Sat Apr 13 2024 20:20 -
How we started doing it was any Brown trout caught from a Large Glacial Loch ,Lough ,Lake over 3 lbs taken on a large lure or deadbait can be classed as a ferox. That not science but its the best as anglers we can come up with and the scientists agree with the method .
These big lochs don't really produce the big browns unless they go on a fish diet even though they sometimes take a wee fly ( but so do pike) .
Lots more stuff on Google these days with the real scientific stuff concerning these fish .
I always thought ferox had to be from waters containing Char? Otherwise there just brown trout? My mate got a 9lb trout of loch Ken but we just assumed it was a big brownie as it’s not really a big glacial loch or got any char
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

piker al wrote: Sun Apr 14 2024 19:36 -
I always thought ferox had to be from waters containing Char? Otherwise there just brown trout? My mate got a 9lb trout of loch Ken but we just assumed it was a big brownie as it’s not really a big glacial loch or got any char
No mate Ferox only need a preys species that can be anything Powan, coarse fish , the scandy lakes have white fish in some its just small trout .
I'd say on a lot of lochs these days with the introduction of coarse fish and fish farms char are way down the list on the ferox menu.

FEROX 85 GROUP
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

fergie68 wrote: Mon Apr 15 2024 07:21 -
piker al wrote: Sun Apr 14 2024 19:36 -
No mate Ferox only need a preys species that can be anything Powan, coarse fish , the scandy lakes have white fish in some its just small trout .
I'd say on a lot of lochs these days with the introduction of coarse fish and fish farms char are way down the list on the ferox menu.
Corrib had millions of char, now they're classified as extinct there. The big trout can hardly be downgraded from ferox to just big brownies now?
I'm a bit vague on the whole ferox thing, but there's good numbers of big single and double figure trout in the loughs around here (upper Shannon system) that regularly get caught on sea deads etc while piking at certain times of year, the early months Jan-March being a good bet. What's notable is the variations in appearance, colour etc. 2 trout from the same lough can look totally different, almost like 2 different species.
Marcraft are for queers.
bencarvosso
Chub
Chub

Post by bencarvosso »

Mate had a 15lb brown from a local lake. Took scale samples and got tested and apparently it was classified as a brown and not a ferox.
Running Ledger Fishing Blog
http://www.bencarvosso.wordpress.com
Gary Coggon
Roach
Roach

Post by Gary Coggon »

Zodiac, there’s a thread titled Ferox Identification, started on 25 July 2023, that may be of interest.
Gary Coggon
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

Gary Coggon wrote: Tue Apr 16 2024 12:07 -
Zodiac, there’s a thread titled Ferox Identification, started on 25 July 2023, that may be of interest.

Aye that's a good one and pretty much covers what's already on this thread i think.
We've had a few so far this season but nothing big.
The weather has really f****d us so far this season.

FEROX 85 GROUP
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

bencarvosso wrote: Tue Apr 16 2024 11:41 -
Mate had a 15lb brown from a local lake. Took scale samples and got tested and apparently it was classified as a brown and not a ferox.
Maybe there all just brown trout? Even a wee 2lb trout is predatory
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

They are mate .
They are all brown trout but they are certainly different.

FEROX 85 GROUP
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

bencarvosso wrote: Tue Apr 16 2024 11:41 -

Hi Ben I'm interested in how they classified it using scale samples .
I know Aya used the scales to determine age and if the fish had ever been to sea .
Maybe age= weight gain ? 🤔
A ferox probably piles on considerable more weight hammering roach shoals than a trout supping down flys.

FEROX 85 GROUP
bencarvosso
Chub
Chub

Post by bencarvosso »

I'll ask him mate. See what info I can get.
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

Cheers mate 👍🏻
My pal is helping in a tagging program on a large scottish loch it's been ongoing for a few years now.
I posted a pic and some details on one of the recaptures a few seasons back.
Recently he's been tagging some smaller trout that have taken his deadbaits .
It will be interesting how many make the grade and become large ferox.
Here's one a friend caught at the start of the season. It weighed 3lb 8oz .
It was tagged the previous season at 1lb 9oz .
Pretty remarkable weight gain .
That's the difference with ferox trout on and fish diet and a normal oppertunist brownie .
IMG-20240317-WA0015.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FEROX 85 GROUP
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

Here's a link to that recapture.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=47387&hilit=Ferox
Last edited by fergie68 on Thu Apr 18 2024 19:15, edited 1 time in total.

FEROX 85 GROUP
Brian Carragher
Perch
Perch

Post by Brian Carragher »

That link takes you to a report post page
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

Thanks Brian. I will repost it.

FEROX 85 GROUP
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

FEROX 85 GROUP
Brian Carragher
Perch
Perch

Post by Brian Carragher »

That links a damn good read
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

The guys have had a good few recaptures Brian which unfortunately points to a fairly small population of these fish in the Loch. .
In fact we had one at the beginning of last season too. 🤔
I will see if can get the link .

FEROX 85 GROUP
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

FEROX 85 GROUP
bencarvosso
Chub
Chub

Post by bencarvosso »

I just got a brief WhatsApp off him.

Will try and get more info when I see him
Screenshot_20240419_111225_WhatsApp.jpg