Drop shotting and lil zander!

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Drop shotting and lil zander!

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Plan a trip to fish Ruland this week and have a couple of questions.
Am I better off using a higher bs floro leader than the 6lb I have? will the little zed's bite through floro???
Would I be better off using JIgs?
Any other tips greatly appreciated :thumbs:

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Drop shotting and lil zander!

Post by dannytaylor »

FC :exit:
Woolley bully
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Woolley bully »

I would go with jigs and a light weight trace ,, my mate likes to drop shot and thing like perch are no problem , he's caught a few pike to but on the down side he's also had the line bitten loads of times too ,, and for this reason I won't use drop shot method ! Probably not the answer you wanted but that's my way of thinking
Born to fish but forced to work
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

I just realized a mistake in my post...I'll be after perch on the dropshot rod and pike on another bait rod.
I know there are large shoals of little zeds in there, do the perch anglers suffer bite offs from lil zander?
I would guess that adding wire of sorts to the drop shotting gear would spoil the presentation.
I would prefer to go the Graham for the big perch, pike and zander that live there, but have been out voted :roll: :laughs:

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
delboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by delboy »

I saw a bloke drop shotting...........................................................................................he was only after perch,I landed a 38lb cat fish for him.
Nothing wrong with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Its everyone else.
delboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by delboy »

Just noticed that when i post it says at the top in that box.....Not secure...........should I be worried
Nothing wrong with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Its everyone else.
dropped_run
Perch
Perch

Post by dropped_run »

I've been bitten off once by a zander. And I know it was a zander as it was in the net! Suspect broken tooth or something along those lines.

I wouldn't worry too much Alan.
James Dobie.
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Zander's teeth have a rounded, as opposed to serrated (pike) profile; hence their ability to bite you off is marginal :shrug: But, fishing for zander or perch using FC leaders where pike are present is a darn irresponsible :mad: A pal of mine, who I confess is far more proficient with the method than me (I much prefer to vertically jig), has had some very decent pike on small lures (drop shotting) when targeting perch... would you really want to miss out catching fish like that just to be fashionable :roll: There's plenty of very low diameter wires out there than can be utilised for drop shotting without detrimentally impacting the presentation. Those I know who fish the method a lot all use wire, they catch just as many as anyone else.
Piking Plonker
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Mark Phillips wrote: Sat Dec 02 2017 19:02 -
Zander's teeth have a rounded, as opposed to serrated (pike) profile; hence their ability to bite you off is marginal :shrug: But, fishing for zander or perch using FC leaders where pike are present is a darn irresponsible :mad: A pal of mine, who I confess is far more proficient with the method than me (I much prefer to vertically jig), has had some very decent pike on small lures (drop shotting) when targeting perch... would you really want to miss out catching fish like that just to be fashionable :roll: There's plenty of very low diameter wires out there than can be utilised for drop shotting without detrimentally impacting the presentation. Those I know who fish the method a lot all use wire, they catch just as many as anyone else.
So Mark when fishing for perch on the river Ivel using lobworms, I would sometimes hook a dozen or so small pike in a day, should I have been using wire then? and btw cant remeber ever getting bitten off (although it was a few years ago) using 4lb (ish) line, some of these fish made low dubs, pike love lobworms!

I think there is a big difference between using FC on big multi hook lures while targeting pike and using it on tiny rubber lures with a small hook for perch on a waters where at best pike are fecking near impossible to catch!
If, and thats a big "IF" a pike was to snatch one of these dropshots and bite through the line, would if really be that bad a deal for them?

Cheers Alan
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Sun Dec 03 2017 10:16 -
So Mark when fishing for perch on the river Ivel using lobworms, I would sometimes hook a dozen or so small pike in a day, should I have been using wire then? and btw cant remeber ever getting bitten off (although it was a few years ago) using 4lb (ish) line, some of these fish made low dubs, pike love lobworms!

I think there is a big difference between using FC on big multi hook lures while targeting pike and using it on tiny rubber lures with a small hook for perch on a waters where at best pike are fecking near impossible to catch!
If, and thats a big "IF" a pike was to snatch one of these dropshots and bite through the line, would if really be that bad a deal for them?

Cheers Alan
My sentiments exactly, If I'm fishing for perch I don't use wire or trebles. We happily fish for other species with singles and mono. I've had pike on fluro boilies, should I use wire for carp just in case a pike picks a boilie up.
Wat Tyler
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Wat Tyler »

Just been out perch fishing with a good friend of mine. He genuinely catches hatfuls of big perch drop shotting and texas style and he reckons you are seriously hampering your chances with wire. I tend to use fine wire myself when lure fishing for them. He had a perch of 3lbs 10ozs this morning and I blanked...
Last edited by Wat Tyler on Sun Dec 10 2017 11:34, edited 1 time in total.
"No one speaks English, and everything's broken..."
Wat Tyler
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Wat Tyler »

I would like to say up front that I have always had the utmost respect for your advice on, and knowledge of, lure fishing Mark so your view is one I would always consider: would you give the same recommendations for the really tiny grubs etc though? The soft rubbers I have been fishing with this morning just do not appear to work when fished with wire traces. :sad:
"No one speaks English, and everything's broken..."