do perch spook perch

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
mike thomson
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

do perch spook perch

Post by mike thomson »

When perch fishing, how many use a keep net to avoid them returning to the shoal and telling their mates not to eat that fecking lure ?

Cheers

Mike
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: do perch spook perch

Post by Monts »

mike thomson wrote: โ†‘Wed Dec 20 2017 21:21 -
When perch fishing, how many use a keep net to avoid them returning to the shoal and telling their mates not to eat that fecking lure ?

Cheers

Mike
It depends on the shoal size, very occasionally I fish a canal when the rivers are in a poor state. Pulling out small Perch and popping them straight back does not seem to have a detrimental effect to my catch rate. Ravenous little buggers don't seem to care.

On small rivers, I'm looking for Perch around the 3 plus mark. I always take any captures downstream a good way to put back. Over the years releasing one back into the swim I'm going to cast back into again has killed it stone dead.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Been on the Trent a few times where its literally one a chuck and it made not a ha'porth of difference chucking them straight back.
Once fished in a lock with a member on here---it was crazy sport one after the other till we had to leave the lock as a boat was coming throigh
Also had times where the bigger perch move in and you catch a good half dozen very quickly before that's your lot, most possibly because you have caught them all (you don't get huge numbers of 2.5 to 4lb perch together---just the survivors from a once big shoal)
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Its a good point, certainly when fishing small rivers for chub then I would take any fish for a short walk but what about perch?
When they are really on it it may not make a difference but on other days it might.
Perch as a species have a lot about them so I think when after specimen sized fish, its well worth thinking about taking them for a walk.

Cheers ALan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: โ†‘Thu Dec 21 2017 06:37 -
Its a good point, certainly when fishing small rivers for chub then I would take any fish for a short walk but what about perch?
When they are really on it it may not make a difference but on other days it might.
Perch as a species have a lot about them so I think when after specimen sized fish, its well worth thinking about taking them for a walk.

Cheers ALan
Very difficult when you fishing from a boat....you also get very wet :laughs:
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Kev Berry wrote: โ†‘Thu Dec 21 2017 08:09 -
cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: โ†‘Thu Dec 21 2017 06:37 -

Cheers ALan
Very difficult when you fishing from a boat....you also get very wet :laughs:
Morning....smart a**e ! :thumbs:

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

Hopefully Steve Burke will answer this one ;-)

But from experience I prefer to release the a swim or two away rather than keep large perch in keep nets.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

I had a Dutch mate who used to catch huge Perch in the canals in 'dam.
His method was to find the shoal and not stop catching (and releasing) them until he had waded thro the little uns and caught some of the biggies.
He caught fish that were well over our record, all on shads.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

Keep them in an aerated bucket ๐Ÿ‘
That Perkins !!! ๐Ÿ˜‚
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

A favourite (though fairly obscure ) writer of mine, W. Carter-Platts, wrote this of perch:

(From memory) "If you find perch in a hole, they can all be caught one after the other - they being like the wicked of this world, unafraid, though their companions perish in their sight".
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

My own experience with Perch is that when in numbers they are generally easier to catch that when there are just 1 or 2 of them.

I wonder if the reduced catches are merely a result of less fishing willing to feed after you've caught them?

(I think it may be a competitive thing face)
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Dave Horton wrote: โ†‘Tue Jun 19 2018 13:23 -
My own experience with Perch is that when in numbers they are generally easier to catch that when there are just 1 or 2 of them.

I wonder if the reduced catches are merely a result of less fishing willing to feed after you've caught them?

when fishing llandegfeg years ago a small ondex would be chased by literally dozens of perch in an arrowhead formation. The one on the point usually got the spinner and the rest went back to the shallows only to repeat it when you chucked the ondex out again, ad infinitum till you got fed up of em.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Ive never noticed this with perch they're quite the characters. thats not to say they wont put the fear in other perch but its so little imo that i dont bother keeping them in a net. Poach got broke off by one years ago caught it again with his other hook still in it :grin: But its defo more noticeable with roach and rudd. Id watch them in my tank and one starts looking a bit skittish the rest would follow suit huddle up together stay low and gills and fins going like a bit of a panic.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Forgot to say. Me and poach where talking about this. That fish might have a sort of fear pheromone. I found this a while back that might be of interest to some

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 2212001741
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

Kev Berry wrote: โ†‘Sat Jul 14 2018 13:36 -
Dave Horton wrote: โ†‘Tue Jun 19 2018 13:23 -

when fishing llandegfeg years ago a small ondex would be chased by literally dozens of perch in an arrowhead formation. The one on the point usually got the spinner and the rest went back to the shallows only to repeat it when you chucked the ondex out again, ad infinitum till you got fed up of em.
Speaking of Deggy, I caught several Perch and Pike there myself by pretty much vertically jigging lures in over 50 foot of water.

The Perch had their swim bladders protruding from their gobs.

(The Pike were seemingly ok face)